Author Topic: City Council Election (Updated 8/3/05)  (Read 139764 times)

Offline wetochwink

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Re: City Council Election (Updated 4/27/05)
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2005, 08:31:52 AM »
i prefer that our city council keep a hands off policy

And do you or anyone else see this with "New Visions" being the next mayor and council?  I don't. These are people whom you claim are part of the distinct entity and that's what I find troubling.

Anthony

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2005, 03:11:00 PM »
If the school system should be a distinct entity, why is the entire New Visions slate running?  Because it’s not a distinct entity, that’s why.  New Visions has the principal of HHS, a school board member, and parents with kids in the school system.  What do you think their priority will be?

Watching the top 20 dinner and students being inducted into the National Honor Society is very gratifying.  Those students would succeed in any school system, anywhere.  They are extremely driven people who make Hackensack proud.  It’s from 20 on down that is my concern.  How many of them are going to Ivy League schools or college at all? 

Average Joe says that “so long as you judge the system by standardized tests that are geared for middle class white kids you will never be satisfied with our school system-and thats a shame-because its a fine one.”  Are you saying that if you’re black or Hispanic you can’t pass a BASIC SKILLS 4th grade standardized test?  Aren’t the “middle class white kids” and all the others in the same classes sitting next to each other learning the same thing?  It’s been a long time since I’ve been in Fairmount School but when I was going in the 70’s I sat next to black and Hispanic kids many of whom were smarter than this middle class white kid.  What’s changed?

If New Visions have any new visions, all of our children will realize their potential.  The New Visions slate will be innovative and set Hackensack apart from other cities with the same cultural diversity as ours.  No more excuses, just results.  Wouldn’t it be great if ours kids grew up to be something special, not just another average joe?

Offline 6to10

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2005, 07:44:10 PM »
There is a lot of talk aboaut the board of education influence in this election and there is a lot to be said about it.  When they hired the new city manager last year he came from the board and worked there for years. Now they want to stick us with Defalco and the rest of them and all any of them know how to do is spend our money. I'm sure Defalco has a big pension from the school system and now he wants another from the council. I have seen some of his running mates campaining but I havent seen him and God forbid they should talk about the issues affecting the city. Somebody on this board mentiond a tax reassesment. What is that going to cost us? They don't know and that's what should scare us. It's expensive enought o live in Hackensack. The candidates for change ticket has some good people on it adn some of them will get my vote so that we dont have the school board juniors on our city council.

Offline NotAComet

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2005, 09:24:08 PM »
It is a shame that the campaign has taken such a negative turn.  There are legitimate issues for the next city council to face but the campaigns have not put forth any specific ideas.  The negative campaigning has overshadowed some very good candidates.  Unfortunately, voters will know little about the individuals when it comes time to vote.

Offline WestARick

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2005, 09:49:36 PM »
 For any interested in looking, I looked up the New
 Visions campaign contributions  at the NJ Election
 Law Enforcment Commission. (www.elec.state.nj.us).
   While there, I found contributions from Daniel McNerney, ( I believe him to be the brother of our
County Executive.) and McNerney and Assoc. from Glen Rock. I wonder if there is any connection between New Visions and the county Dems.
    I'd hate to see a slate voted in that will be nothing more than a rubber stamp for the county gov't.

Offline 6to10

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2005, 11:07:45 PM »
McNerny is only the tip of the iceberg when you consider who else is behind the scenes in this race. We should not be surprized that the chief of police, and a former assembyman is supporting the new Visions slate. The woman who used to be his office manager is actively involved in there campaign. Police and Politics is never a  good mix but here it is coming home to roost like the old machine politics. the chief Zisa will have a free hand and it will cost us plenty we need a fair and balanced city council not the brother of the police chief or his hand picked freinds. What about property taxes and the homeless problem and programs for teens. Where is this new vision? Vote 6 to 10 and say Amen

Offline Jwalsh

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2005, 12:45:55 AM »
I'm not sure I understand.  Allegedly, a relative of the County Exec. makes a contribution to a team he supports and this has the makings of a conspiracy?  What are you talking about?

The Chief supposedly supports New Visions. So what?  So does the Hackensack PBA.  When New Visions takes office, are they going to hand their authority over to the police?   Again, what are talking about? 

Inuendo is worthless. 

« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 10:15:49 AM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2005, 10:14:30 AM »

Offline Netnick

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2005, 11:28:29 AM »
In the midst of all this negative campaigning, there's something to remember. On May 10th, you DO NOT have to vote for an entire slate! That's all we've had for the last 12 years. But if we don't vote 1-5 or 6-10, maybe that will send a message that we are tired of the same old same old and want a council that will have to work together to do what's right for the city instead of what's right for the "team". Wake up Hackensack and SPLIT THE VOTE!

Offline average Joe

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2005, 11:43:29 PM »
so the bergen record has decided to get involved in a local election-what is "malcolm" thinking?they dont trash our town enough?now they want to tell us who to vote for?
but ,ok, if this is a new policy of the record i look forward to reading their  teterboro ,rockleigh and maywood endorsements in the future
that rag is beneath contempt!
i dont care who you all vote for on tuesday-but i think one thing everyone in this community can agree on-and maybe the only thing-
"the friend of the people it serves"is no friend of this community
i wouldnt let my dog crap on it!

Offline Cuzar Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2005, 03:41:18 AM »
"I'm not sure I understand.  Allegedly, a relative of the County Exec. makes a contribution to a team he supports and this has the makings of a conspiracy?  What are you talking about?

The Chief supposedly supports New Visions. So what?  So does the Hackensack PBA.  When New Visions takes office, are they going to hand their authority over to the police?   Again, what are talking about?"

Thank you for breathing some intelligence into this discussion... It seems to me that the "Citizens for Change" ticket has a few supporters on this thread who are constantly expressing criticism over campaign contributions to the "New Visions" TEAM.  This is one example of the problem I have in voting them into public office.  These adults are very quick to point the finger and yet do nothing to back up their allegations.  When my doorbell rang, and one of the men from the "Change" ticket appeared, it seemed he was only there to assure me that they had no intentions of doing anything Jack Zisa did.  And that statement should be somewhat concerning to the "normal" citizens of the city.  Because as a guy who's lived here for 65 years, I think for the most part, the "normal" people would have to agree that the current Mayor and council generally did what was best for the city, or Jack Zisa wouldn't have been continuously elected for a total of 16 years.  If, in all of that time, Mr.Zisa was found guilty of an ethics charge, where the fine was equivalent to a traffic ticket, I'd certainly rather live here than some of other towns which are ridden with far worse corruption by public officials.  The "change" ticket keeps speaking of the neglect of downtown Main Street, and say that Zisa did nothing, but will they ever say what they'll do differently to attract businesses? or will they just keep saying that they "WON'T do what Zisa did".  Jealousy should not be reason enough to run for public office because you can say anything you want during a campaign, but what would ever happen if you were actually elected? And then you realized that you had to run an entire city?  I have faith that there are more "normal" people in this town than "crazy".  Because normal people have the ability to see and understand the truth, but when you're crazy you live in your own world of anger and sadness and distortion and god help us if we are forced to live in their world.   

Offline hamburglar

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2005, 09:09:38 AM »
I think Pinkstreet was confused with "vote 6 to 10 and say amen."  It should be vote 6 to 10 for "grumpy old men."  Vote 1 to 5 for a council that's alive.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: City Council Election (Updated 5/8/05)
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2005, 09:36:58 AM »
Latest story: Open those closed doors (Record Editorial)

Offline NotAComet

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2005, 10:41:29 AM »
Certainly you can object to the conclusions but the arguments the Record used seem fairly valid.  The New Visions slate has not provided any specific plans.  Their campaign has been almost all negative and misleading.  It doesn't appear the candidates temselves are in charge of the campaign.  They have some strong candidates with a long history of community involvement, particularly Defalco, Sasso and Townes.  They should have let these candidates run on their own merits.  Win or lose, they have likely further divided the city.

Offline 6to10

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2005, 10:48:44 AM »
Today's Record Editorial has plainly stated what the Citizens fo rChange slate could not afford to say thru literature (because they aren't bought and paid for by the special intersts)  Vote 6 to 10 and say Amen.