Author Topic: City Council Election (Updated 8/3/05)  (Read 139782 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: City Council Election (Updated 5/11/05)
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2005, 09:13:56 AM »
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 09:16:29 AM by Editor »

Offline wetochwink

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2005, 11:46:15 AM »
Less than half of the city voted.  Wow. 

Were all the phone calls, negative attacks, repetative mailings worth it?

Somehow after all this, I managed to convince my wife to vote. So she heads out to vote and was greeted (no thats too nice), was harassed by supporters of "New Visions" and "Citizens for Change" and given one last piece of paperwork by both as she heads in to vote.

As she registers to vote, a voting volunteer attacks her for bringing in the flyers that were just handed to her.

The fact that both parties were heading off voters with more propaganda as they head to the voting booths is distrubing. The way this mayoral race has run - I don't find this surprising despite the passing of Mr. DeFalco. How is anyone suppose to feel comfortable voting?

My wife pays barely enough attention to the political races to decide who to vote for. She's completely disgusted how city residents turned on each other and has vowed she may never take part in elections again. I cant blame her.

Mr. DeFalco was my athletic director in high school. He knew practically every student that took part in any sport is school. Basketball / Football were the dominating sports - but he always acknowledge everyone else too. One of the few that always supported and kept tabs on the other sports/athletes in school.

I think the campaign short changed who he was and capable of accomplishing for Hackensack. 

Offline devil

• HackensackNow Regular
  • Hackensack Now Patron
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2005, 11:03:05 PM »
The election is over. Thank God. The voters sent a message loud and clear. Those that wish to bring the City to its knees by berating our elected officials, even when they are not running were shown that their message is garbage. For Ted Dunn to come in behind a man whose only claim to fame was that he lives in his grandmother's house shows that the voters are not the boobs the Dunn ticket thought they were.

The Record rag obviously has less than no influence in our town. They endorse for the first time in history and their chosen group gets wooped.

That rag loves controversy, and the Dunn ticket certainly gives it wnat it wants. Even the headlines are an insult to Mr. De Falco's memory.

maybe it will tell the story of Mrs. Dunn yelling at 14 ans 15 year old kids at St. Marks Church for wearing hand made shirts with Joe De Falco's name on them. Don't believe me, ask your kids.

The Record has never published any letters to the editor of a political nature less than 7 days before a local election, except now. They continued to break their own rules in the hopes of getting Dunn elected. I hope the paper got the message, but probably not. Cancel your subscriptions. May be they will get the message then.

Why is it so hard to support Hackensack. Oh yea, good news does not sell.

From now on I think I will rely on "The County Seat".

The County Seat said it would not endorse any candidates and it stayed neutral.

Lastly, Canistrino was on television. Apparently he believes that DeFalco's group staged Joes Death in order to gain an advantage. He Knew Joe. Shame on him. He lost to a dead man. Apparently the voters thought that Joe defalco was still better than Dunn and Canestrino.

God bless you , Joe. May you rest in peace for all the lives you touched.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2005, 10:43:50 AM »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2005, 10:52:44 AM »
Record Editorial: An election nobody wins

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2005, 10:57:46 AM »
Opinions published in 5/15/05 edition of The Record:

Regarding the headline for the story about last week's municipal election in Hackensack ("Dead candidate elected," Page A-1, May 11):

I am aware that headlines are often useful in selling newspapers. At times, they also do a disservice to the heart of the story and cause injury to the people connected to it and to your readership.

It was extremely painful to me and many of my colleagues at Hackensack High School to read of Principal Joseph DeFalco as a dead person who was elected to a public office. I imagine many of our students, their families and a very large segment of not only Hackensack's population who knew him or knew of him (and even your general readership) were similarly shocked and outraged at what I would hope is an isolated case of poor judgment.

Joe was an extremely caring and dedicated professional educator, colleague and member of the Hackensack community. He loved his students; he was tirelessly accessible to them. He encouraged staff and led it in fostering a family-like working environment that could be a model for many high schools.

The headline traded the richness of Joe's life and presence in Hackensack and the high school for what I experienced as a deep insult. It seemed to me to be shoddy sensationalism.

You handled the story of Joe as principal thoughtfully and appropriately with two articles elsewhere in the paper. But how do you think his family and many close friends might feel about the front-page headline?

I believe many of your readers would appreciate (and even be impressed with) a published acknowledgement of your lapse and regret.

Larry W. Gingold

Hackensack, May 12

The writer is school psychologist for Hackensack High School.

I was appalled by your headline "Dead candidate elected" (Page A-1, May 11) in your story about municipal elections in Hackensack.

You trivialized the life of Hackensack High School Principal Joseph DeFalco with an article about his politics, which is just a small part of what he was all about.

Joe DeFalco achieved so much during his almost 40-year career at Hackensack High. As a teacher, coach, athletic director and principal, Mr. DeFalco touched more lives and affected more children than we will ever know. He was beloved by his students, both present and former, their parents and teachers and staff. He will be greatly missed.

You have shown that although you are based in Hackensack, you really have no hometown allegiance.

Mary Ellen Waanders

Maywood, May 11

I was appalled to see the headline on the news story relating the untimely passing of Hackensack High School Principal Joseph DeFalco ("Dead man elected," Page A-1, May 11).

There are so many other headlines that could have graced this story. Instead, you published a headline that was hurtful to all the people who mourn his passing. It was crass, it was low, and it was demeaning and thoughtless. It is typical of a low-grade scandal sheet.

Your newspaper owes a public apology to Mr. DeFalco's family, his supporters in the recent Hackensack election and, most of all, to all the children he affected in a positive manner as coach and principal.

Audrey Koran

Hackensack, May 12

« Last Edit: May 15, 2005, 12:17:22 PM by Editor »

Offline irish eyes

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2005, 12:21:34 PM »
I also am appalled at the Bergen Record's audacity of taking pictures in the sanctity of Holy Trinity Church during service.  They always amaze me as to the new low that they stoop to.  I found it rather amusing that the Hackensack City election process got under the skin of Malcolm Borg so deeply that his paper chose to endorse people in the election.  Way to go Malcolm, you sure know how to pick them !!!  Obviously, the voters in Hackensack understand what the Bergen Record's agenda is all about.  I for one have not subscribed to the Record in years.  I will not give them a penny of my money.  I read the paper online for FREE and I urge others to do the same.  I urge the Record to continue to print their sleazy headlines and their reporters/photographers to continue to act as puppets for Malcolm Borg, after all, you wouldn't want to disappoint the Hackensack voters.  Thanks Malcolm for all the laughs.

Offline Cuzar Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2005, 02:52:01 PM »
Enough is enough with the Record!!  The "Dead Candidate Wins Election" headline was derogatory and insulting enough, but today's editorial in the Sunday edition was downright despicable and inhumane.  The beloved man is not even cold in his grave and Mike Kelly, a man who probably never met Joe DeFalco calls Mr.DeFalco's election to council a "cynical joke".  I for one am completely outraged and appalled that this kind of writing is allowed.  Others on this board have made reference to the Record being likened to a rag newspaper, similar to the NY Post, or National Enquirer.  I believe it's even worse because the Record has won prestigious awards for its journalism...thats a "cynical joke" if I've ever heard one.  What can we do as a community to put an end to this kind of negative reporting?  I pledge that I will take the reins if I have enough support.  I will help to arrange a public meeting where we can discuss ideas on how to stand up and let Malcolm Borg know that enough is enough!!  Any ideas??  If the Record is suggesting that Joe DeFalco was elected to the city council in vain, we need to step up and show them our own "New Vision" for not taking such abuse from the "Borg Empire". 

Offline average Joe

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2005, 04:53:48 PM »
does anyone know?has Mike Kelly ever attended a city council meeting?-was he present when Joe De Falco was interviewed by the Record? why do i suspect that the answers to these questions are  "no"?
and by the way,i understand that Jack Zisa is a registered republican-not a democrat like ferriearo-yet Kelly-to back up his"conspiracy" theory puts them into political "bed"-together
people have speculated what Borgs hatred is all about regarding Hackensack-some say it is bitterness over the millions he didnt get when Borgs woods(can that be renamed?(how about "De Falco preserve"?)-others say its payback over other issues like zisas opposition to the homeless shelter-
try this one-notice how the records "public enemies" zisa and ferriearo have vowels at the end of their names-far-fetched?
go back and read the papers when the city changed its form of government in the 30s-
what you will find is this-the change movement was led by the wasp north side of town-led by?you guessed it-malcolms father and the record-seems they didnt like the politics of the town at that time-largely in the 1st ward-guess they didnt like our grandparents and their broken english-but guess what?those folks literally built this town-and Malcolm and family are long gone
good riddence!

Offline hamburglar

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2005, 07:37:57 PM »
I know it's hard for most people to understand how The Rag can be so obsessed with an election that's over and how they can be so heartless toward a beloved figure who passed away. Maybe I can help explain it. First of all, they don't get the concept of being loved and respected by other people. We're talking about Malcolm Borg here. Do you think that if he didn't have money, his family would even like him? So the disrespect is easy to figure out. About the election. Average Joe was right on with the Borg's Woods reference. After Borg tried to gut Borg's Woods to jam in a couple of hundred townhouses and got blocked by a group which Mayor Zisa was part of, he never stopped denigrating Hackensack and Mayor Zisa. Every time Zisa got re-elected, Borg got a little crazier. By the time this election came around, the Rag decided to become part of the campaign team of "Citizens that hate Zisa". When they got blown out in the election after The Rag's way-out-on-a-limb-as-far-as-you-go endorsement, Borg must have been bawling and stamping his feet like the kids who lose the T-Ball game. So he orders his prat boy, Mike Kelly, to get a few shots in concerning the "election results that The Rag just cannot accept." My favorite comment was the "16 years of uninspiring leadership and CIA-like secrecy." I guess that's the kind of government we like in Hackensack, Mikey, 'cause we're not smart like you. I won't even go into the rest of his tantrum column or his incredibly bizarre theories, I'll just leave Mikey and Malcolm with this advice: Malcolm, you're not going to have a lot of happy election nights in Hackensack because Hackensack voters apparently DON'T LISTEN TO YOU! Mikey, you can take the aluminum foil off your head. The space aliens have already taken over. 

Offline devil

• HackensackNow Regular
  • Hackensack Now Patron
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2005, 09:03:20 PM »
The Record Rag ( now known as the Rag) has stooped to another new low. Borg complains that Mayor Zisa, a republican, has to much influence yet this idiot Mike Kelly aparently has Borg's hand up his you know what. The hatred that Borg has for Hackensack is incredible. Not only can't he let a gentle, kind man rest in peace, he insults the family and othe mourners by sending a photographer to the church to desecrate the service.

Borg didn't get his way with Borg's Wood's, therefore he can only print filth, lies and misstatements.

Borg and the 'Rag' can't stand that Hackensack has another printed voice ( the Seat) that he does not control. He realizes that the 'Rag' no longer influences the voters. Negativity no longer rules.

Mayor Zisa is stepping down after 16 years of distinguished service but Borg is still running a private war against him. Give it a rest.

There was mention in The County Seat that the editor was looking for letters stating what the voters thought about Joe Defalco. This may be a good opprtunity to say why you voted for Joe and why the vote is more important now than ever. Remember, voting for Joe kept the candidates that the Rag endorsed out of office.
Malcolm, please keep endorsing candidates. We not know who to vote against.

Offline Jwalsh

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2005, 10:52:14 PM »
Mike Kelly said:

"But voters will not chose his replacement. That will be left to DeFalco's running mates on the New Visions slate, all of whom won seats. So in casting that "tribute" vote for DeFalco, voters basically wasted their vote."

How ridiculous.  Regardless of whether or not voters decided to pay a "tribute" to Joe DeFalco is besides the point.  My guess is that the vast majority of Hackensack voters who voted  for Joe did so because they trusted his running mates would find a replacement better suited for the task than any of the opposition candidates who obviously did not like what Joe Defalco stood for.  Should voters have elected a political foe simply because there was another button to press?  To call this show of support for New Visions a "wasted vote" is nonsense.  Kelly should know better and so should Malcolm.

As for Defalco's answer about what he'd do if he were elected (as Kelly put it, "the sort of question politicians yearn for - an uncontested invitation to yap about all manner of proposals. An easy home run") Defalco was no "politician".  That's why people liked him.  And maybe he wasn't looking for the "easy home run".  Once in a while, a candidate comes along who has integrity and dedication.  Those are enough reasons to vote for him.  The plans will follow once he has time to study the terrain.  But maybe what Joe meant was that he didn't have any specifics FOR THE RECORD. That rag would only screw up the quote and the context anyway.

Two words for The Record:  Sore Loser.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2005, 11:55:41 PM by Jwalsh »

Offline devil

• HackensackNow Regular
  • Hackensack Now Patron
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2005, 11:40:34 PM »
jwalsh is right. The voters did choose. They trusted his running mates to choose the right replacement rather than vote for Dunn and his gang. Do you think Dunn got the point? The voters would rather vote for someone that died rather than him. Apparently hate does not work.

Offline lab94

• HackensackNow Regular
  • Hackensack Now Patron
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2005, 09:51:35 PM »
It won't be long before The Record starts printing articles like Newsweek did! I think it all boils down to two things, big egos and the biggest thing is MONEY. Make good headlines that sell the papers. They don't care if it's true, as long as it sells. Hell, they could care less if it hurts peoples reputations or if it gets people killed! It's all about the money.

Offline devil

• HackensackNow Regular
  • Hackensack Now Patron
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2005, 11:02:40 PM »
Newsweek was forced to print a retraction. Will the Rag do the same thing? I doubt it. I am sure Dunn will push the Rag to keep printing more half truths.