Author Topic: 9/11 sticker from The Record  (Read 3786 times)

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
9/11 sticker from The Record
« on: September 11, 2018, 08:31:12 PM »
While cleaning out a pile of papers today - 9/11 - I found a small envelope from the Record, dated 7/13/02. Inside was a 3" by 6" unused "We Will Never Forget" sticker with the famous Tom Franklin photo of the 3 firemen raising the flag amidst the rubble on the front and info on the back (see below).

It seems appropriate to find this today because the Tribute in Lights, which I can usually see every year from my apartment is not visible tonight.

Click to enlarge.

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline Victor E Sasson

• View Profile
Re: 9/11 sticker from The Record
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 08:32:09 PM »
Of course, Tom Franklin, the photographer, probably would have won a Pulitzer Prize for the flag-raising photo, if the editors had put it on the front page the next day. Unfortunately, Frank Scandale, the paper's new editor, caved it to the bean counters, who told him it would be "too expensive" to remake the front page for the photo, so The Record, like so many other newspapers, ran the stock photo of the smoking towers on A-1. Franklin's photo ran on the front of an inside section on Sept. 12, and his flag-raising photo was sent out by The Associated Press and landed on the front of The New York Post the next day, and the tabloid credited AP. That forced Rich Gigli, The Record's photo director, and Franklin to go on the "Today" show the next day and claim credit for his unique image. What a disgrace. I was a copy editor at the time, and was called in to put out an Extra in the afternoon and then worked into the night putting out the next day's paper, with the column of smoke from the Twin Towers framed in the big newsroom windows of The Record's headquarters at 150 River St. until dark.