Author Topic: Vote Tuesday: Open Space Referendum  (Read 3978 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now

Offline ericmartindale

• View Profile
Re: Vote Tuesday: Open Space Referendum
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 01:16:43 PM »
Great news on the landslide voter support for this initiative.  I'm going to try and appear before the Hackensack Environmental Commission and try to get support for either direct acquisition or conservation easement on the 3 hill lots adjacent to Borg's Woods, especially the one closest to Fairmount Avenue, which people think has street frontage to Fairmount Ave, but it does not. 

My guess is that the three lot owners would probably prefer a conservation easement, if they want preservation at all. And one with a guarantee that no trails will be lain out on the lots. At least a conservation easement will be less money to come up with. I'm guessing a few hundred thousand, tops, will be enough. In 1995, two other hill lots totally 1.0 acres were added to the land preserved in 1994, and those lots totalled $91,000. In 1994 money.  Land is worth more now, I'd say.

One of the owners is the house on Summit Ave that just spent a few hundred thousand on rehab (Summit west side near Poplar Ave), and recently cut down all the huge Sweetgums on the front yard. They are the most magnificient fall foliage tree in our area, and it was a loss for the beauty of Summit Ave. This house owns the "fenced lot" along the trail that parallels the ridge.  I am most doubtful of this owner, but you never know.

anything