General Category > Photography...........the way I see it (Moderated by BLeafe)

The Holman/Waypoint project (435 Main St)

(1/11) > >>

BLeafe:
On Wednesday, December 5, they finally started blocking off the sidewalks on the Main St, Anderson St and Maple Ave sides of the building and left no gaps in the fence-covering for photos. Fortunately, I can see what's going on in the back from my roof - 7 floors up - though it's a bit chilly up there lately.

The next day, demolition started. I had taken a shot of the Anderson St side of the fence-covering in the morning, but by the time I went out to do the ground-level shots, I noticed that the image of the new building in the covering -  which had been well down from Main St in the morning - had been moved much closer to Main by the afternoon. Better optics, I guess. Plus, there's a more captive audience stopped at the light as you get closer to Main.

Since I can't be on the roof on the other side of my building all day, I'm only going to be able to get bits of pieces of the demolition process, unlike the 389 Main project, which is straight out from my living room window, so I'm going to miss segments of the 435 Main progress.

I probably won't get over to Maple Ave much, so I made sure to get over there on the first day to shoot a stitch. It wasn't an easy one because I had to hold the camera above my head to clear the fence-covering. It's a pain to try to line up side-by-side shots in that situation.

On the far right of the stitch is the yellow-bricked former Holy Trinity School - the alma mater of Editor, me and many members of this site. I noticed that my current residence is also in the picture, so I took the last shot, which shows an angle I never saw before of the garden apartments of Anderson St, the Second Reformed Church, the top of my building behind it and the First Presbyterian Church's steeple.

Going back to the stitch, I can see that I’ve come a long way in 60 years…………….. 2 blocks!

From Wikipedia: A waypoint is an intermediate point or place on a route or line of travel, a stopping point or point at which course is changed......waypoints most often consist of a series of abstract GPS points that create artificial airways—"highways in the sky"—created specifically for purposes of air navigation that have no clear connection to features of the real world.

So the residents of this building can claim they live in the middle of something that has no connection to the real world? I guess that makes sense. After all, Sears is right across the street and they're in a similar situation..

Click to enlarge.

irons35:
I'm surprised they didnt get the family dollar and finish off the block.

BLeafe:
Their high-end tenants will need SOMEWHERE classy to shop when Sears folds.

This is  a goldmine for Family Dollar.

Homer Jones:
Quick question/ observation: If Sears is on the east side of Main Street and has an even address (436 Main Street) and the former Holman Moving and Storage building is on the west side of Main Street and has an odd address (435 Main Street) how come the Waypoint project is called Holman/ Waypoint 436?

BLeafe:
Sorry - that's my mistake.

All fixed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version