Author Topic: Sidewalks - Snow removal  (Read 5545 times)

Offline wetochwink

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Sidewalks - Snow removal
« on: January 24, 2005, 08:18:50 AM »
So if the city can site two summons on my neighbor for the past dusting (less than an inch) of snow, I wonder if the city will be going after homeowners and businesses that fail to clear sidewalks after this last snow storm?

- the homes along Essex St (across from the Sanzari building) have once again failed to dig out.

What about homes that are vacant and for sale?  Who is responsible? Will the city go after them too?

What about business properties that are closed?

- Former gas station on the corner of Essex St / Summitt Ave.

- Former gas station on Polify Ave and Essex St. 

Both of these properties are corner lots and the walks should be cleared.

What about the sidewalk along the park on Polify Rd too. Isnt the city responsible for this sidewalk?

Perhaps the inspectors from Operation Clean Sweep can follow up since, I can't see them doing home inspections till the snow disappears.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Sidewalks - Snow removal
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 01:11:49 PM »
§ 148-33. Removal of snow or ice by city; assessment of cost(s).

In case such owners, tenants or occupants shall refuse or neglect to remove such snow or ice from the sidewalks as provided in § 148-31 of this Article, the Superintendent of Public Works shall remove or cause to be removed such snow and ice, and any costs of such removal shall be certified to by the Superintendent of Public Works and submitted to the City Council; the amount so charged shall forthwith become a lien upon lands abutting such sidewalks and shall be added to and shall become part of the taxes next to be assessed and levied upon such lands and shall be collected and enforced according to law.

Offline wetochwink

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 02:10:46 PM »
You've lived here long enough to know this doesn't happen.

If that was the case, our taxes would be lower for the amount of money the DPW could make charging properties for snow removal.

The properties I specifically mentioned - hardly ever get done (practically never - but I don't keep records). 

« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 07:55:29 AM by wetochwink »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 12:40:31 PM »
The Property Maintenance Division cited those property owners today.  A Court appearance is required.  The judge will likely fine the owners.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 12:54:05 PM by Editor »

anything