Author Topic: Esplanade Park still a waste after 50 years  (Read 4474 times)

ericmartindale

Esplanade Park still a waste after 50 years
« on: January 30, 2005, 03:38:17 PM »
It's been over 50 years since the city established a one-acre (+/-) park along the west side of Esplanade between Heath and Blanchard. This is near the Maywood border, and about one block north of the Nellie K. Parker elementary school.

I've been told that land for the park was set aside when the nearby garden apartments were built back in the 1950's. I would imagine that the Mayor & Council back then wanted it to be real park, but they didn't get around to it before the administration changes. Back then it was different, we had a new mayor about every two years, for one reason or another.

Well, this park is just sitting there, for 50 years, with little more than a bench and a few irregular interior sidewalks. It's really kind of sad.

How about a children's playground or another ice skating rink?  Or maybe an oversized gazebo and some flower beds, like the gazebo next to Lyndhurst township hall. I think there's room for all of that. The whole west side of Hackensack has absolutely no playground facilities. There's more to parks in Hackensack than baseball or soccor, and even though it is not a big park, something nice could be done there.

Offline wetochwink

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Esplanade Park still a waste after 50 years
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 08:34:22 AM »
All this time I thought the land was owned, operated by the apartment complex.

Growing up nearby, I would have loved a developed playground here. It would have been much closer to my childhood home.

All those years heading to Maywood and Paramus parks, my friends and I would have gladly rode our bikes there.

All its good for over the years has been for playing field games.

With all the park renovations recently - how was this overlooked?