Author Topic: BOE - priming the pump  (Read 5620 times)

Offline wetochwink

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
BOE - priming the pump
« on: January 31, 2005, 08:45:35 AM »
http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkyJmZnYmVsN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2NjQ1ODg1

Where does Mr. Montesano planned to get the money for leasing space?

I feel a burning sensation in my wallet. Oh wait - its almost April -which mean another BOE tax increase request.

I'd like to know from active PTA folks, any unplanned expenses that came up during year (and I know of a couple)  that will require more tax money from residents.

Dont forget - its a city property assessment year too.

Offline lab94

• HackensackNow Regular
  • Hackensack Now Patron
    • View Profile
Re: BOE - priming the pump
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 11:31:02 AM »
Do you need to ask if your taxes are going up? From what I have heard (not from BOE) this could be a bad year for the schools. Mostly do to the new law passed (http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/bills/BillView.asp) #s1701. Last year this bill was fast tracked and signed I think in July. So when Elections came around, the political party's were telling us how they would keep property tax's down. This Bill only allows the BOE to raise the budget by 2.5% or the cost of living, whichever is higher. The BOE can only keep 3% or $100,000 Kept in surplus And if the BOE go's over the budget the state can withhold the equal amount in state aid the following year. And the Chance of the BOE getting a referendum for the budget is almost none because the reasons the state has now set for that. To put this in prospective, I think the health insurance costs were up this year by almost 10%. Other costs like the price of oil to heat the schools are up what about 20%.  The cost to bus some of the children ( gas and insurance). Oh I almost forgot to mention that the schools had a large jump in handicapped children that need special care (one on one or special schools) that comes out of the budget. Plus any other expense you may know about. I think this may answer the Question on weather are taxes will be going up.

Offline wetochwink

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile