Author Topic: Main St closed 5-6-20 from Atlantic to Mercer  (Read 3555 times)

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
Main St closed 5-6-20 from Atlantic to Mercer
« on: May 07, 2020, 05:32:20 PM »
From home, I could see that there was no crane activity on the Main St side of the 150-170 Main St project at Main and Mercer - the usual reason for closures like this -  so I decided to take a look, approaching it from the south:

1. Not much to see here

2,3. After a short walk, I could see something was going on right at Main and Mercer, but I had been getting strange looks from hard-hatted guys on the way there (coronaparanoia?), so I started shooting from a distance (the long zoom on this tiny camera is great!). This was insurance in case anybody gave me crap when I got to the intersection.

4. As I approached the hole in the street, someone who seemed to be supervising noticed me and my camera and started to turn toward me. For a split second, an aluminum light pole was between us (and right next to me). I stopped, took this picture and continued walking. He never saw a thing. I have no idea if he was really going to say anything, but why give him a chance to? I never found out why they were digging, but I'd rather have the picture and not know than know and be photoless. Somebody else here who's more knowledgeable can post what they were doing.

5. When I got up between Banta Pl and Salem St, I turned around and zoomed in again. Nothing special, but it's a scene you won't likely see again anytime soon.

6,7. I don't know if the way Demarest St looks is connected to the work at Main and Mercer (I'm guessing it is), but I took a shot on the way up Main and another on the way down Moore St.

Click to enlarge.

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Main St closed 5-6-20 from Atlantic to Mercer
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 11:38:41 PM »
Stormwater drainage for a good part of the downtown.  New lines will eventually work their way across River Street, through the former Record site, to a outfall at the river.

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
Re: Main St closed 5-6-20 from Atlantic to Mercer
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 10:23:28 AM »
Your first picture reminds me of when DiSalvo's was on the left hand side almost across from the CVS