Author Topic: HUMC Expansion  (Read 131525 times)

Offline wetochwink

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
HUMC Expansion
« on: February 09, 2005, 02:21:59 PM »
Hospital readies plan for expansion

Does anyone know any truth to how much land HUMC actually owns?

A neighbor of mine years ago said they owned all land from the hospital of today to as north as Beech St (High School) and as far east as the railroad tracks.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 09:46:12 AM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 09:48:44 AM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: HUMC Expansion
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 09:25:25 AM »
From The Record: May 26, 2005:

Regarding "Coniglio's hospital deal raises issue of allegiances" (Page A-1, May 24):

The Record may be correct that the New Jersey disclosure law is far from perfect. But that is no reason to question the integrity of state Sen. Joseph Coniglio, D-Paramus, who, by your own admission, has been a sponsor of legislation toughening the state's conflict-of-interest laws.

Coniglio should be free to apply his 43 years of construction expertise to consulting for Hackensack University Medical Center - or for anyone else - just as attorneys in the Legislature are free to practice law, so long as their first responsibility is to the citizens they represent.

Should The Record in future investigations find this is not the case, it can disclose the conflict and let the voters decide.

It should be noted that The Record editorial board had no problem recommending a security officer at the hospital for a position on the Hackensack City Council, where a conflict of interest was not only likely, but would be unavoidable.

Howard Hurwitz

Hackensack, May 24

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 09:46:45 AM »
The following opinions are from the June 2, 2005 edition of The Record:

How can the writer of "Issue is not Coniglio's integrity" (Your Views, May 26) compare state Sen. Joseph Coniglio's consulting position at Hackensack University Medical Center with former City Council candidate Steve Martino's part-time job as a security guard there?

It is important to know where this writer, Howard Hurwitz, is coming from. He is a Hackensack Planning Board member and executive director of the Northwest Bergen County Utilities Authority.

He is also the spouse of Lynne Hurwitz, chairwoman of the Hackensack Democratic Municipal Committee. She has worked for, among others, former Sen. Robert Torricelli, Hackensack Police Chief Ken Zisa and Coniglio. She recruited the New Visions slate by placing an ad in the Zisa-owned tabloid, the County Seat.

Howard Hurwitz's logic makes as much sense as his wife's paid Bergen County position in volunteer benefits.

The Record article that he critiqued ("Coniglio's hospital deal raises issue of allegiances," Page A-1, May 24) described exactly what is wrong with municipal, county and state governments in New Jersey.

Citizens have the right to know what their elected officials are doing, and The Record has the responsibility to report this information.

Hurwitz's letter is nothing more than a cheap shot and an obvious attempt to pander to Democratic political bosses, to whom both his wife and he are indebted for their jobs.

Arlene Schatz
Hackensack, May 27
The writer is acting president of the Hackensack Taxpayers Association.

"Issue is not Coniglio's integrity" (Your Views, May 26) stated there was a conflict of interest in The Record endorsing Steve Martino, a security officer at Hackensack University Medical Center, for Hackensack City Council.

That comment is laughable.

Exactly where could a conflict of interest be involved, except in the imagination of the letter writer? What possible influence could a part-time security officer have on HUMC affairs?

Rose Martino

Hackensack, May 26
The writer is a sister of Steve Martino.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 01:05:59 PM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 01:42:23 PM »

ericmartindale

Qwestion
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 10:11:07 PM »
Hi! Pitiable klooper in F7*&%^! classify of my english jer, buti danged hazardous re touched by .
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 05:23:43 PM by ericmartindale »

Offline itsme

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 06:09:35 PM »
The more they get the more they want.  I guess if the application is questioned, HUMC will have their employees who reside in Hackensack again bused to the hearings and pay them for the time away from work.  At the last hearings for the parking garage on the corners of Atlantic & Railroad, residents were lead to believe that the parking garage would alleviate the problem of hospital employees parking on the streets of Hackensack. The city got the Housing Authority attorney, Joe Zisa, to state that the housing authority saw no problem with the construction of that garage only 15 inches from the windows of the residents.  I know the tenants had a problem.  The parking lot is hardly ever full and the employees continue to park on the streets.  Yeah, that one really worked!!!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 08:46:36 AM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 09:53:48 AM »

ericmartindale

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 09:51:23 PM »
I sat in on part of tonite's application.  The Board has completely reversed it's hostility to the application, and appears to be accepting HUMC's testimony as to why they don't have to widen Atlantic Street to the width the Board had previously demanded.  Previously the Board and HUMC were at an impasse over that issue.

Now it looks like the application will be approved, and probably at the October meeting. It appears to be coming to a conclusion after so many hearings. 

HUMC is expanding in size by about 33% with this application, and they are building outside their original square block to the same density. 

We didn't know it at the time, but when the board allowed the Don Imus Center to have much less than the allowed setback from Atlantic Street, that set the precedent for both sides of Atlantic Street from Prospect Ave to the railroad.  After the Don Imus Center was built, HUMC demanded the same setback for every subsequent application, saying that "it will be the same as Don Imus". That's what is called  "subverting the intent and purpose of the zone plan and zoning ordinance".  That's exactly what happened with the Don Imus Center.

It looks like I'll have to find someplace else to live. No, I won't be leaving Hackensack. But I don't think I can bear to live across the street from such a massive construction site. It will totally destroy the quality of life here, and the loss of the houses buffering my building from HUMC will have a dramatic negative effect. Chances are it will be under construction for 2 years straight. Most of my neighbors here in my building don't even have a remote clue as to what is going to happen.  This complex is 5 to 10 times bigger than they imagine it will be.

Anthony

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 07:04:48 PM »
I have many mixed emotions about the future of HUMC. 

First, I’d like to say HUMC is a wonderful hospital.  It’s clean, state of the art, and ultra convenient for everyone in Hackensack.  God forbid one of us needs medical attention, it is very reassuring to be less than five minutes away from the facility from any part of Hackensack.  The medical staff is among the best in the area and my parents, wife and children have all received excellent care whenever they’ve had to go there.  That being said, should HUMC have carte blanche to expand as much as they want?  Should the city allow them to take over that part of town or put an end to the expansion now?

I don’t know if the city has a master plan for that area, but maybe one should be developed specifically for the entire area with Essex Street, Summit Avenue, Beech/Atlantic Street, and State Street as its borders.  It could be designated the “HUMC Zone” and a plan could be developed, by the city, to take control of the entire zone by rezoning it.  This way the city controls the deck, not HUMC.  When they want to expand more, they’d have to actually play by the city’s rules, since they would control the area.  It seems like the city got bamboozled by HUMC on the Imus building and they should try not to get out played again.

I hate the fact HUMC is bullying the city and their own neighbors in the area.  I can’t stand their arrogance.  They are expanding whether we like it or not and we’re at their mercy.  Does it have to be this way?

In spite of what HUMC wants us to believe, it’s all about money.  The hospital is making more and more of it.  Why can’t they share some of the wealth?  It’s ironic the non-profit hospital, most of it being tax-exempt, has a management staff, doctors, lawyers, consultants, etc. making big money.  Since their taxes are low, maybe they can help the city out with things like school expansion, fire fighting equipment, maybe even a discounted health care plan for the city’s employees.  If the hospital has a medical plan for its employees, why can’t they include Hackensack’s city employees in the same plan?  Imagine the savings to the city at little cost to the hospital.  Why can’t HUMC purchase state of the art fire fighting equipment for our fire fighters as a gift in case of a disaster in the hospital?  A lot of our tax dollars go to keeping our fire fighters ready for a disaster in this non profit/tax-exempt facility.  It doesn’t seem right.

The city’s residents are giving up a lot for HUMC’s expansion.  Prospect Avenue and Essex Street near the hospital ALWAYS has traffic which is only going to get worse.  It’s nice to have the extra business in town from patients and staff at the hospital but how much extra business are we really seeing?  Not many people working/visiting the hospital are making their way to shop or eat on Main Street.  It’s great that the area around the hospital has been redeveloped with doctor’s offices and medical buildings (which are not tax-exempt) but it’s sad to see the houses and neighborhoods go.

As I said, I have mixed emotions about the hospital’s expansion and future.  Who really runs Hackensack, the council/city manager or John Ferguson?

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 09:18:32 AM »
Latest story:  The hospital next door

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 10:24:29 AM »
In today's Record (Your Views)

I have followed with great interest "Growing too big? Expansion plan worries med center's neighbors" (Page A-1, Sept. 27), referring to the growth of the Hackensack University Medical Center. Equally interesting was "The hospital next door" (Editorial, Oct. 2).

The major underlying concerns by the neighbors seem to be the congestion, noise and pollution that added traffic and a large conventional parking garage bring with them. Compounding the problem is the fact that frustrations of the neighbors are rarely heard or heeded by the Hackensack zoning board or HUMC officials.

Your suggestion for holding open forums should certainly be taken into consideration by these same officials.

For example, the concerns attending an 855-car, 5-story garage adjacent to the residential area could be addressed if an automated garage could be substituted for the proposed ramped structure.

Automated garages take up less land area (at least 40 percent less) and are totally enclosed. A vehicle's engine is never left running in the garage so the noise and air pollution are virtually eliminated. The system is completely closed, greatly enhancing security. In addition the facade of the building can be constructed to blend in aesthetically with the residential area.

Suggestions of this type could come from a neighborhood forum. They could go a long way toward neutralizing the frustrations of neighbors.

Donald D. Farinella

Paramus, Oct. 3

The writer is a former Hackensack resident.

ericmartindale

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2006, 04:45:47 PM »
11/2/06 Record article: "HUMC, Pascack hospital may join"

This news story is extremely relevant.  It potentially has enormous implications for the City of Hackensack.  This may mean that some of the ongoing mega-expansion of HUMC will take place outside of the city limits of Hackensack.

This might be good for Hackensack. HUMC builds at such enormous density that it chokes the road network with traffic, thus detracting from the quality of life and the ability to develop more upscale housing units in the neighborhood.   Many of the HUMC expansions have also been tax-exempt, or slated to become tax exempt at some future date.

The city had previously zoned the area between Atlantic and Essex Streets as far east as Railroad Avenue for HUMC expansion and other health-care services, including parking garages.  Now, as a result of the impending Pascack Valley deal, it is unknown if any more expansion will occur in Hackensack (other than the just-approved Cancer Center and parking tower).

Perhaps most of the new growth of the medical center will shift to the new campus in Westwood. I'm familiar with the Pascack Valley Campus on Old Hook Road, and I have a feeling that the acreage there is as large or larger than HUMC.  There's plenty of room in Westwood to grow, and to increase the density with parking towers and new buildings.  This can be done a lot cheaper than buying more land in urban areas of Hackensack.

Strong opposition to the Cancer Center, as well as to the parking tower at Newman & Atlantic Streets, likely contributed to HUMC's desire to expand outside of Hackensack.  Many of us in the city have been saying that HUMC needs another campus, now they've found it.

It's also interesting that the Mayor and Council in October declared the entire area bounded by Beech, First, Essex, and Railroad (except for the square block containing the Oratam Court project) as "an area in need of redevelopment".  The whole South Newman Street corridor all the way to Route 80, including Kenneth Street and portions of Green Street, was also designated as area in need of redevelopment in October. 

Studies will determine what properties could be taken via eminent domain for redevelopment. Proposals for redevelopment will come entirely from the PRIVATE SECTOR, in much the same fashion as the Essex/Prospect redevelopment project.  And then a builder will be selected out of several bidders in an open process. The city itself will not be designing the redevelopment, other than laying out broad parameters for the bidders.

Now we are left to wonder if  any of the redevelopments will be HUMC-related, a Transit Villlage, or perhaps some other use.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 04:55:42 PM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
HUMC Expansion
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 09:02:56 AM »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now