Author Topic: HUMC Expansion  (Read 131598 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: HUMC Expansion
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008, 10:05:56 AM »

Offline itsme

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 12:25:44 AM »
On September 29, 2006, Anthony posted on this website that he was not sure who runs the City of Hackensack.  After reading the article in the Record on Saturday, March 8, 2008, I also am not sure.  The recent approval of the HUMC Cancer Center and its subsequent execution of a builder's agreement by Mayor Meneses leads one to believe that the Mayor also does not know even after having more than a week to ascertain the major details of the agreement between the Medical Center and the City, Meneses informed the Record, on or about March 7, 2008 that he did not have any details nor could he confirm any regarding a $1 million payment to the City by the Medical Center.  The City Manager however, did confirm that the city and medical center had negotiated the $1 million but that the details had been inadvertently omitted from the agreement.  Despite this omission, the Mayor signed the agreement which was witnessed by Joseph Zisa on behalf of the City and also signed by Robert Koller and witnessed by Joseph Sanzari on behalf of the hospital and notarized by Joseph Ferriero, the County Democratic Chair who also serves as counsel for the hospital in zoning and construction matters.

I suggest that Mayor Meneses should have already known the details of this transaction since the story had first been reported on March 1, 2008 in the Zisa family owned County Seat.  Perhaps Mr. Meneses should read the County Seat or Joseph Zisa should have informed him of the contents of the agreement that he signed without mention of the $1 million.

It certainly appears that someone other than the City Manager, Mayor and Council are running this city.  You read between the lines.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2008, 10:05:06 AM »
I'm not sure I even understand what you're saying, but trust me, there's no conspiracy. We'll get the $1M. 

I'm just happy that the people running this city are seriously negotiating with the ever-expanding medical center to ensure that the city (those who live and work here) gets its share.

The Cancer Center is a win/win. 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 10:17:20 AM by Editor »

Offline Skipx219

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2008, 11:40:00 AM »
 I'm quite concerned about the added agreement about losing the Fire Dept Ambulance Service. I don't think it's worth saving $ 600,000.00 and losing respose time.

Check out the NJO.com Hackensack forum.
http://www.nj.com/forums/hackensack/

Offline Skipx219

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2008, 01:18:24 PM »
 I'm surprised no one seems to be concerned adout this issue.
http://www.savehfdems.com/
http://savehfdems.com/guest_book/guest_book/Guest-Book/index.php

Offline itsme

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2008, 03:19:06 PM »
There are many people concerned.  I am.  I am surprised that the Editor does not believe there is room for concern.  Perhaps he should check out the other forums.  On March 18, parents and taxpayers will be appearing at the Board of Ed in protest to the latest move by the Board of Education and to give input on how they feel our schools should proceed.  The Board of Ed election will be held in April.  We should go out and vote to make sure it is no longer business as usual.  Those who are not attending the Board meeting should certainly go over to city hall in support of our ems workers and to stop the giveaway of our city to HUMC.  Unfortunately, both of these meetings are taking place the same day and time.  Maybe, meetings as important as these should not be scheduled for the same time and day.  Hopefully, I will be able to attend both.

Offline average Joe

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2008, 08:55:54 PM »
now let me get this straight.. the city gets full emt service 'equal to or better than" that which is currently provided.the savings of about $700,000 a year in salaries(i note that there is no mention of the elimination of the need to purchase new ambulances periodically.ya think thats an additional savings to we taxpayers?):120 parking spaces.a stream of income for the air rights of the overhead walkways..and i almost forgot,1 million dollars!
and you folks are complaining?..maybe there really IS something in the water!

Offline average Joe

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2008, 11:57:33 PM »
irons35.methinks i smell a "vested interest"
1 you disparage emts working for humc.im to believe that they are inferior to fire dept persoonnel because YOU say so??!!.you fail to back up your assertions one iota
2 so the cuty recoups its expenditures?what about the periodic purchases of new ambulances .why do you overlook that factor in your "calculations"?
3 try to remember that humc is tax exempt by state law.that the prior administration and this one have been able to exact payments be they in the form of taxes or rental for overhead walkways or ,yes the million dollar gift is a credit to them
4 120 parking spaces adjacent to prospect ave will lie fallow?  what are you smoking?
5 illegal contract? put your money where your mout is.if you think that the city has enetered such an arrangement,why dont you sue.you only need to be a resident of hackensack to do so.you are  resident,atrent you?

Offline itsme

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2008, 06:30:01 AM »
Everything I have read seems to indicate that the parking garage  and cancer center will be built on the corner of Prospect and Atlantic.  What will happen to the apartment complexes that are already there?

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2008, 08:56:17 PM »

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2008, 07:44:29 AM »
The Cancer Center will be on the north side of Atlantic Street from First Street to Second Street.  One house will be left on Second Street, sandwhiched between the Cancer Center and the Dawn Manor apartments.  Four houses were torn down years ago, and a commercial building on First Street that used to be a roller skating rink will be leveled. The giant parking garage will run on the north side of Atlantic Street from Second Street to the top of the hill.  It will replace vacant land and quite a few 1950's-era houses, most of which are vacant or converted into offices.

The biggest visual impact to the city will be the canyon-like effect created on Atlantic Street, which will be unlike anything we have ever seen in Hackensack. This is because buildings on both sides were given variances to build very close to the street.  It will look like a street in Manhattan, and when it is done people will say "Oh my God, look at this density", why was HUMC allowed to build this way.  In the future, people will wonder who was on the city boards and who was in power politically when this was done. The problem started with the Don Imus Center, they were allowed to build much closer to Atlantic Street than the zoning allowed, and that just set the precedent for all additional projects.  This is a very big change to Hackensack, to the "feel" of the community.  It's not like the high-rises of Prospect Ave, with all their gracious front landscaping.

The bottom line is GREED, pure GREED. The hospital could have been built with all the front and side yard setbacks but that would have required more land, and the cost to maintain more landscaping.  Not helping the matter were the people in the Executive House, who litigated the matter to shift the parking tower even closer to Atlantic Street.  Does anyone know the year that the Don Imus Center was approved by the Zoning Board.  I am wondering if that was done during the Cerbo administration or the Zisa administration, or perhaps early in the tenure of the Zisa years when Cerbo's appointees still controlled the Zoning Board.

I agree that the city is not getting a good deal financially, that the one-time $1 million is chump change compared to the revenues it would have contributed. This Cancer Center plus parking is LARGER than 20 Prospect Ave, so it would likely have contributed $3 million or more EVERY YEAR to the city.  That's $30 million every 10 years.

Where's the real power in Hackensack ??? Good question, let's look at the evidence. HUMC's annual budget is over $1 billion, and that dwarfs the city's budget.  Their Board of Governors is more powerful than the city administration and more connected politically statewide.  I would say the #1 power in Hackensack is HUMC, the #2 power is the Hackensack Police Department, and our city council vies with The Record for spot #3 (and that is one of many reasons why the have an adversarial relationship with The Record).

Offline Skipx219

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2008, 08:38:55 AM »
What do you think??
http://www.northjersey.com/news/northernnj/16668341.html

Record: City fire chief to retire amid EMS uproar
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 08:56:57 AM by Editor »

Offline Skipx219

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2008, 12:55:48 PM »
My e-mail to the City Council.
from; Gene T. "Skip" Puntasecca, 836 main St and 27 Van Orden Pl., Hackensack HHS Class of 1965.

I write this for Me, My Family, Friends, Neighbors and the HFD EMS People affected.

Most of you know Me & My Business in Town. But Most don't know that I'm a Retired Fire Officer from the Teaneck Fire Dept. as well. In My 30 years, 2 months and 1 day of service I've wintessed many levels of EMS quality care during those years. Living in this City I also witnessed Our Fire Dept. EMS service on many occasions helping Friends, Neighbors and Relatives and was impressed with the care they gave.

I'm now 61 years old and in good health - but I know something will eventually jump up and bite me in the Behind and I'll need help from the EMS service. It's been a comfort to Me knowing that when that time come
I'll get Professional help from the HFD EMS Service.

I have NO confidence in a HUMC Sub Contractor whether it's Vanguard, Aero or any other Company!

Please rethink this issue,

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2008, 12:11:00 AM »
I thought HUMC would be handling this directly ???

Now I'm reading that HUMC would subcontract out this service.  What's the real deal. And if it is sub'd out, will the ambulances be dispatched out of HUMC, or if not, from where.  If it is sub'd, what are the credentials for the sub ?

Offline Skipx219

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2008, 04:20:04 PM »
" Night of the Flack Catchers"
Tonight they will put on their Flack Jackets and enforce the Occupancy limit of the room and say only special interest people showed up. I wonder how "The Record" will report the evening???

anything