Author Topic: River St photowalk: from Bowler City to Costco  (Read 2505 times)

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
River St photowalk: from Bowler City to Costco
« on: April 12, 2021, 04:25:01 PM »
Last week from my apartment, I could see Rt. 80 under the World Trade Center. Under Rt. 80, there was some construction going on. Is that the near-Bowler City project or the one that's replacing The Record? More importantly, is it going to go any higher and block my view of Rt. 80?. I DID see a tall crane in the vicinity on most days, so that would be the clue.

Time for a photowalk. There's lots of construction going on in that area, so this would be worthwhile.

Pic info:

1. The aforementioned view from home

2. From River St, here's what the across-the-street-from-Bowler-City project looks like.

3. This is a photo stitch looking down the Midtown Bridge Approach on the left and River St on the right, where you can see the project on the former property of The Record................and a tall crane.

4. This is the crane I had seen on many days from home.

5. From River and Mercer streets, here's the whole project and the crane - PLUS an artist's rendering of the finished project. This is the construction I saw from home, it will not have more floors added and - for whatever it's worth - Rt. 80 should appear to be carrying traffic on the roof of this new building for years to come.

6,7. Two more project images from south of the building ("A New Record in Hackensack Living"? Oy!)

8. Geez - you'd think they could come up with their own sign instead of glomming onto the old Heritage Diner sign. Consolation: they appear to be open 24 hours a day for cocktails. That should make the residents' kids happy.

9. Meanwhile, two blocks to the west, 150-170 Main seems to be nearing completion (and looming very large over the Print House).

10. At the bottom of the previous shot, you saw buses. Here's why. And you may want to make sure you wear a watch if you need to catch a bus there. I shot these two pix at 1:55pm and 2:07pm. Not only is the bus terminal's clock not working, but time went backwards by one minute during that 12-minute gap.

11. Just south of the bus terminal is new construction on the NW corner of River and Bridge streets.

12. This is an artist's rendering of what's being built there - a rock-climbing facility!

13,14,15. A couple hundred feet directly east of that place is our old friend - the USS Ling............still there, but who knows for how long.

16. That last shot was taken from the Court St bridge. Court St becomes W. Fort Lee Rd in Bogota. On the other side of the street and a few more hundred feet east is the project that replaced the famous Hess oil tanks - the River Club. This is a 6-photo stitch that looks south and came out surprisingly well............except for one minor detail. Somehow, I managed to cut off a bit of the very first building I shot (far left). The first shot - by definition - is supposed to be the easiest.

17. Here's some of the natural beauty awaiting those River Club tenants with a northerly view.

18,19. Swinging over to Costco on the Hackensack side of the river, I shot these two River Club images. Strangely enough, the second image shows the first building that I mysteriously cut off in the previous photo stitch. Too bad it's the wrong side.

20. What better way to end this photo journey than with a seagull happily walking in shallow mud. Wished I could have done the same.

Click to enlarge images.

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness