Author Topic: Tropical Storm Ida ruins HHS football field  (Read 2617 times)

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
Tropical Storm Ida ruins HHS football field
« on: September 04, 2021, 11:55:00 AM »
So I hear periodic yelling coming from somewhere just south of me yesterday and saw the below images.

There's a story in today's Record about the fact that Tropical Storm Ida has flooded/ruined a lot of school football fields. Some will have to be totally replaced at great expense and will not be ready to host games until next year.

From The Record (regarding Hackensack):

Hackensack was slightly more fortunate in that its field may only be out of commission for two weeks.

"The FieldTurf company’s going to come in next week and start working on the areas that bubbled up and the areas that we have a couple of rips," athletic director Scooter Whiting said. "They have to patch up a few spots, and they’re going to sanitize it."

The Comets football team was able to move this weekend’s season opener against Kennedy to nearby Overpeck Park for a Saturday night kickoff. Their next home game is scheduled for Sept. 18.

But, as Hackensack football coach Brett Ressler pointed out, “Tom Della Torre Field is predominantly the primary playing surface for multiple athletic teams.”

The Comets field hockey and boys and girls soccer teams have been displaced as well. In the interim, they will be able to use the two grass fields adjacent to the high school, which is located across First Street.

“They actually have dried out,” Whiting said of the fields, “so they look pretty good.”

One other major issue to address is the fieldhouse that sits next to the turf. It contains locker rooms and a coaches’ office.

“We lost a lot of stuff in our coaches’ office,” Ressler said, “and we’re not just talking things that were on the ground. We’re talking things that were up two feet – stuff that was in filing cabinets that were at least six inches off the ground, plus things that were actually in desk drawers.”

The AD noted that the fieldhouse has a history of being flood-prone, and the district is exploring options for how to rectify the situation.

“Our superintendent, Mr. [Robert] Sanchez, is in the process of working on something where we could possibly get a new fieldhouse or we make some upgrades to the fieldhouse we currently have,” said Whiting, a Hackensack graduate. “We don’t want to knock it down, there’s too much tradition in it. We do want to try and make upgrades to it so it’s a little bit more floodproof.”

Apparently, the Hackensack Middle School's soccer field is the temporary practice field.

I just hope that these pictures don't give too much away to opponents' scouts.

Click to enlarge (unless you're an opposing scout).

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

anything