Author Topic: Mysterious Surveying - Coles Brook, Catalpa to Davis  (Read 7663 times)

ericmartindale

Mysterious Surveying - Coles Brook, Catalpa to Davis
« on: January 30, 2005, 03:19:02 PM »
It looks like the owners of the BOTH the Bergen Mall and the 10-screen movie theatre have engaged in surveying along Coles Brook. Drive to the ends of Catalpa, Willow, and Davis Avenues and you will see survey markers. Some of them appear to be wetland lines, while others may be property lines. Previously, we've been worrying that vacant land owned by the Bergen Mall at the ends of Catalpa and Willow Avenues would be commercially developed, destroying the wooded buffer that seperates homes in Hackensack from commercial development. Now, it looks like the movie theatre property is getting into the act too. I was told that a proposed for a Sears Outdoor living center was canceled, and there might be a new plan. If anyone knows what was surveyed, or what might be happening there, please post.

Anthony

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 09:29:13 PM »
It's a shame that "The Desert" is finally being developed.  Many memories of riding bikes and doing some other crazy stuff back there.  Great place to hang out as a kid, building forts and trails, all that stuff we're too afraid to let our kids do today.

Offline BJRED

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 12:08:54 AM »
that use to be our short cut to get to the mall.........at times it was scary as some times you woud have your drifters up there hanging around but nothing usually happened....now if that were today forget it..........it was a nice quick safe way to get to the mall. i hope they keep it for what it is....the desert.....

Offline johnered66

• HackensackNow Regular
  • badge # on NFD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 10:37:42 PM »
Oh man, I was a desert rat for many a year...tis a shame, tis a shame...

ceetheman

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 04:11:03 AM »
anyone remember that old video game place that used to anchor on the back end of the mall across from the dessert? cant remeber the name of it, been closed for years but man that place used to be fun on a friday night...i used to cut through to go to the mall too...

Offline johnered66

• HackensackNow Regular
  • badge # on NFD
    • View Profile
Re: Mysterious Surveying - Coles Brook, Catalpa to Davis
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2005, 05:06:17 PM »
I know the place, but can't place the name...near the old bonanza

ceetheman

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2005, 12:15:27 PM »
the Back Door Arcade...i think that was the name of it. i remembered it the other night. and yep, it was right by the old bonanza. fridays and saturdays it was there, then to the desert to see who was able to scam up the beer...if we had enough we'd sometimes go over to the movies...i think it was only like a three or four-plex back then. Cutting through Staib to get home, ducking the occasional spotlight...old times...never to be had again.  And to think all those cops thought their jobs were so important back then...like they were going after al capone and his gang. least it made for interesting memories...

Offline johnered66

• HackensackNow Regular
  • badge # on NFD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2005, 02:59:29 PM »
And some of those cops were hanging there a few years earlier...they were hanging out before they grew into that job...it was a blast... I remember sneaking into the triplex...silver streak and king kong  all summer long...and staib...good ol staib...home sweet home...whats your age...sure I remember your crowd...

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 09:16:52 AM »
Getting back to the original post, this article sheds some light on what is going on in "the desert":

Bergen Mall Makeover

Plans also call for the construction of a 148,000-square-foot store on the east side of Forest Avenue, near the Hackensack border. That section will include two parking lots near Shepherd Way.

A 58-foot buffer with evergreens, maple and oak trees will be created between the mall and the back yards of Maywood residents who live on Locust Drive.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 09:19:45 AM by Editor »

anything