General Category > Hackensack History

Maplecrest Beach

(1/3) > >>

Editor:
Thanks to Barry for sending this:

In the 1950's, Maplecrest Beach was located in Hackensack, just north of Route 4 on Hackensack Avenue. It was not a "pool" but a spring surrounded by sand. It was chlorinated but the bottom was dirt and we referred to it as a mudhole. It was originally owned by the Whitehouses, a couple who lived in Teaneck. They sold it  in 1955 to a group from NYC, who ran it as a swimming hole for a few years then sold the land to developers.

Does anyone remember this?

(See pictures below)

Pattie:
Yes i do remember it and i have a pic of me and my mother there...it was so much fun and so clean.....it was wonderful!  ;D

KathGo:
 We used to go to MapleCrest Beach almost every Sunday in the summer time. It really was a great place for kids and grownups! We always met other kids we knew there and we would all play and swim together.Just a few months ago, I was talking to my aunt about Maple Crest and I found out that my grandfather, Frank Levitzki, a home builder from Hackensack, had built all the picnic tables and outbuildings on the property! I wish they could take away that Home Depot and the Pathmark etc. and rebuild another Maple Crest Beach. Oh! to be back in time!

Editor:
(Scroll up to read about Maplecrest Beach)

Thanks to Barry for the pictures.

ra138:
Maplecrest was doomed by the polio scare of the early 1950s.  I grew up nearby, but my parents were very cautious about letting their kids in such public swimming places.  The belief was that polio was spread through them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version