General Category > Hackensack Discussion

Recycling

<< < (2/2)

Victor E Sasson:
OK, I called the Hackensack Department of Public Works this morning and was told the only reason recycling is put into a truck loaded with garbage is when the recycling put out by a homeowner is contaminated with dog poop or other stuff thrown in there by a neighbor or other passer-by, for example.

The decision is made on the spot and left up to the men who are collecting the recycling.

So, I guess in the instance you sighted, one of your neighbors is to blame. The woman I spoke with said contaminated recycling is encountered a lot, and I imagine that would include bottles and cans that aren't rinsed out or restaurant takeout containers that aren't cleaned of food.

irons35:
i'm again, going to disagree...   I know the origin of it... cardboard, mixed bottles and cans, and trash all went into the same truck...  it wasnt so excessively dirty to be trash.   But I'm not diming anyone out specifically... just stating an observation of fact.

Victor E Sasson:
And how did you know it wasn't contaminated by dog shit or something else? Was the cardboard tied up as it should be? Was there any styrofoam in there (it isn't recyclable any longer) or stained pizza boxes?

irons35:
because i threw it out... and I know exactly what can go in the barrel and what cannot... no pizza boxes... no dog shit... no styrofoam... clean stuff.... 

Victor E Sasson:

I guess you can call the city's Public Works Department and speak to someone in recycling. This happened only once?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version