Author Topic: Recycling  (Read 4368 times)

Offline irons35

• View Profile
Recycling
« on: February 25, 2022, 09:12:43 PM »
Does the City actually recycle cardboard and metal/glass, or is it all a show?     

Offline Victor E Sasson

• View Profile
Re: Recycling
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2022, 02:14:41 PM »
Why do you think it is all show?

As far as I know, Hackensack has single stream recycling, where paper, cardboard, cans, bottles and recyclable plastic are comingled before they are shipped off to a recycling plant, where the sorting occurs.

Hackensack also recycles yard trimmings and debris into compost.

Offline irons35

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2022, 03:15:40 PM »
does your garbage and recycling go out the same day?  if so, watch and see what happens when its picked up

Offline Victor E Sasson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2022, 08:04:05 AM »
Well, they pick up the garbage and recycling around 6 a.m. I'm usually having my first cup of coffee and don't go outside. Are you saying they put garbage and recycling in same truck?

Offline irons35

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2022, 03:57:05 PM »
i thought that was obvious...   yes...  thats what i have seen... and not just once

Offline Victor E Sasson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2022, 10:21:26 AM »
OK, I called the Hackensack Department of Public Works this morning and was told the only reason recycling is put into a truck loaded with garbage is when the recycling put out by a homeowner is contaminated with dog poop or other stuff thrown in there by a neighbor or other passer-by, for example.

The decision is made on the spot and left up to the men who are collecting the recycling.

So, I guess in the instance you sighted, one of your neighbors is to blame. The woman I spoke with said contaminated recycling is encountered a lot, and I imagine that would include bottles and cans that aren't rinsed out or restaurant takeout containers that aren't cleaned of food.

Offline irons35

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2022, 11:29:31 PM »
i'm again, going to disagree...   I know the origin of it... cardboard, mixed bottles and cans, and trash all went into the same truck...  it wasnt so excessively dirty to be trash.   But I'm not diming anyone out specifically... just stating an observation of fact.

Offline Victor E Sasson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2022, 08:57:53 AM »
And how did you know it wasn't contaminated by dog shit or something else? Was the cardboard tied up as it should be? Was there any styrofoam in there (it isn't recyclable any longer) or stained pizza boxes?

Offline irons35

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2022, 09:32:20 PM »
because i threw it out... and I know exactly what can go in the barrel and what cannot... no pizza boxes... no dog shit... no styrofoam... clean stuff.... 

Offline Victor E Sasson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2022, 03:06:25 PM »

I guess you can call the city's Public Works Department and speak to someone in recycling. This happened only once?

anything