Author Topic: TO THE OTHER 654 MEMBERS, THIS SITE NEEDS YOUR HELP!  (Read 2830 times)

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
TO THE OTHER 654 MEMBERS, THIS SITE NEEDS YOUR HELP!
« on: September 08, 2022, 05:50:00 PM »
There's been some talk lately that this site may cease to exist. That would be an absolute crime.

Let's review its purpose. As you may know, EVERYTHING that's posted here goes into the city's historical database - essentially, for the benefit of future researchers and historians who want to know exactly what life was like in Hackensack in the early 2000s. Imagine if such a source existed a couple of hundred years ago. Yeah - we know about most of the important pieces of local history, but not about all the things that went on - what life was really like here back then.

You have to start thinking like this: EVERYTHING that goes on is history some day. If you see something that might be slightly interesting, write about it, photograph it and post it. If you encounter something you have questions about, post those questions............maybe someone can answer them for you.

I've covered a lot of recent construction that's changing the face of Hackensack, but I can't cover it all. If you live in Hackensack, something's probably going on in your area that the rest of us don't know about. Even if it seems rather mundane, it will be of increasing interest as the decades go by. Don't just do it for us - do it for all future residents and historians. Do what we wish people from long ago had the ability to do.

Got an interesting or funny story about something in the city that happened in your past (or currently)? Even if it doesn't get a huge reaction from anybody now, it may have great meaning for people in the future. And if it DOES click with someone here today, interesting and informative conversations may ensue and they could have additional meaning for those in the future.

So that we don't have 90 million threads, check the site's search function using key words from whatever you'd like to post about and see if threads about that topic already exist. If they do, add to those threads instead of creating new ones. If they don't, start new ones.

If you're not sure how to post pictures, message me. If it seems to be a common problem, I'll write a post about how to do it. And if you DO post pictures, please make sure they don't have huge file sizes, because the site owner will have to pay out of his pocket for the increased bandwidth. A good (and simple) idea would be to use an online file compression program like Compress Jpeg (https://compressjpeg.com/). It's very easy.

You may have seen that I sometimes post a link to my blog instead of just putting all the pictures on this site. I'm aware that people would prefer to just see the pictures instead of having to click a link to go somewhere else, but there's a very good reason why I do that: no matter how many images there are or how big their file sizes are, the bandwidth is MY responsibility, meaning that it costs this site's owner nothing, so clicking those links supports the boss.

Though "Recent Posts" may seem like it lately, this is not the Bob Leafe Show, nor do I want it to be. This is everyone's show.

And according to a 54-year-old song by Traffic, "You Can All Join In":

I hope you will and keep this important site going on forever. Hackensack's current and future generations deserve nothing less.

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline Top of the Hill

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Re: TO THE OTHER 654 MEMBERS, THIS SITE NEEDS YOUR HELP!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 02:30:54 PM »
I grew up in Hackensack, but have lived on the West coast for  the past 35 years. Unfortunately I have nothing to contribute to the site, except old stories if they are applicable to what somebody posts. I enjoy the site and appreciate all who post. I am disappointed that more folks don't post what is currently going on at "home". I often feel that if Bob no longer posts, the site will be discontinued.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 11:05:35 AM »
Take a look: https://www.makeuseof.com/social-media-online-forums/

There are some good Hackensack-related forums on Facebook.

I think this site has run its course. I do not have the time or inclination to compete with other social media platforms. If you do, let me know. See: http://www.hackensacknow.org/index.php/topic,3934.0.html#new

(You'll need to cover hosting and domain fees now approaching $200 annually).

Offline ericmartindale

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 08:24:24 AM »
I hope the site stays up.  In the past when I contributed more, my contributions were mostly unwelcomed and unappreciated.  That's why I rarely contribute any more.

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2022, 06:05:27 AM »
I too like the nostalgic contributions (mainly what I post, sometimes things I see when coming thru town) but I think the small number of us that still post these days are the last of the breed that still enjoy that stuff.
When I look back it seems there were many members who chimed in, but like most things they fade after awhile. I enjoy this site, hope we can keep it going

Offline ericmartindale

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2022, 09:59:32 PM »
May I suggest that this site transition from private ownership to ownership by the City of Hackensack.  And then the website costs would be borne by the city, and the City Historian will be in charge of the site. 

And it just so happens that the City Historian will require zero training on how to manage this website...LOL.  And if the City Historian wants to designate someone else to supervise this site, that's his choice.