Author Topic: Anderson St neighborhood laundromat gone  (Read 3056 times)

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
Anderson St neighborhood laundromat gone
« on: November 14, 2022, 03:50:59 PM »
The washer/dryer machines in my building were too small, too expensive and too time-consuming, so I switched years ago to the laundromat next to the Walgreens at Anderson and Linden. It seemed to be the choice of most of the neighborhood.

A couple of weeks ago, I saw a big truck and a stacked pair of washing machines on the sidewalk. I thought new machines were being installed. A few days later, I was in Walgreens and I heard someone asking someone else, "What happened to the laundromat?"

"They closed" was the reply.

WHAT?

THE PIX (click to enlarge)

1. I went next door and looked through both doors. This is the half of the laundromat that's closer to Walgreens:

2. Here's the other half that's closer to Linden:

3. Here's what both sides looked like last February from the back of the Linden side (PANO):

This is a blow to the neighborhood. I sure hope it's going to be replaced by another laundromat company and NOT by another residential monstrosity - especially since that would also deprive us of the neighborhood's sole pharmacy next door.

4. On a probably-directly-related note: As I was parking my car yesterday near my building, I noticed a woman putting flyers on all the cars. She was walking by as I got out of my car and handed me a flyer.

Think this might have anything to do with the subject of this post? The location is where the Cedar Lane Grille used to be by the northwest corner of Cedar Lane and River Rd.

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
Re: Anderson St neighborhood laundromat gone
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2022, 07:08:18 AM »
Wow that's crazy...to the best of my knowledge I can't think of another one in that vicinity. And i'm not surprised Cedar Lane Grille closed, I went in there years ago for a nostalgic breakfast and it was terrible

Offline irons35

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2022, 09:03:39 AM »
that entire block is being torn down... 6 story apartment going there...

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 12:35:45 PM »
that entire block is being torn down... 6 story apartment going there...

I had heard that some months ago, but nothing since, so I was hoping that maybe the Powers That Be saw the wisdom in keeping two important neighborhood mainstays: Walgreens - especially its pharmacy - and the laundromat. And who wants to pay thousands of dollars a month to live RIGHT next to railroad tracks?

I'm sure it won't be a welcome view for the people at the 6-story 29 Linden building right across the street.

C'mon, Powers That Be..............rethink this! Find a way to give the current neighborhood residents AND the new ones a good pharmacy on Anderson St...........and all of us currents need a laundromat.

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline irons35

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2022, 08:21:43 PM »
Lots of people will pay to live next to train tracks.  As far as the rest, its a disposable building that is not generating near the revenue that the new building will create.     https://www.hackensack.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/123_Anderson_Street_Redevelopment_Report_02.25.22.pdf#

Offline ericmartindale

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2022, 12:17:32 AM »
The redevelopment project is a done deal, and the pastor of The Gathering Church told me "we have two years to get out".  They are renting space to the rear of the Walmart. They fully intend to stay in Hackensack.

1. I don't think these big redevelopment projects with little or no setbacks should be crossing over the railroad.  It's setting off too many people's alarms. 
2. I don't agree that the block is "blighted"
3. The block that is blighted is to the east, and they only tore down part of that block. They left a row of terrible storefronts on Anderson, they left very old houses and a vacant lot on Park Street, and they left the ugly auto repair shop on Passaic Street. I'm not a fan of Hackensack Market either, it's just a giant bodega with everything very overpriced, and they are just preying on the community.  I just don't understand the city's "blight" criteria, where there is real blight, nothing is done. Where there's viable businesses with adequate parking, the city calls that "blighted" and tears it down.
4. The setbacks for these types of projects were intended for Main Street, and maybe State Street. For the rest of Hackensack, we want yards around new buildings complete with landscaping, or we want neighborhoods with houses preserved by the zoning.
5. I also don't like how close the units are going to be to the railroad. 

Also, I found out the State is changing their universal building codes, and the days of these 5-story buildings are coming to an end. They will be allowing special types of composite and engineered lumber to be used for at least 10 or 11 stories.  So future buildings will probably be massive cement parking garages with 10 or 11 stories of wood above them.   I'm sure Hackensack will either change it's zoning to come into conformity with the State, or grant lots of variances to allow them to be built