Author Topic: Brewster Mansion/Dirt Pile (Prospect Avenue)  (Read 18737 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Brewster Mansion/Dirt Pile (Prospect Avenue)
« on: March 16, 2005, 07:36:49 PM »
Thanks to Michelle for this post. 

Does anybody remember this?

Click here for another picture and article about the Brewster Mansion.

I hear this house had a bowling alley in the basement!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 05:49:12 PM by Editor »

Offline Kaffekat

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Brewster Mansion (Prospect Avenue)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 09:37:24 PM »
One other thing I do remember about the Brewster Mansion -  At the time I heard that the wishing well behind the house had been stolen shortly before the house was demolished.

How this could have been done, I can't imagine.
At the time, though I believed it absolutely. I don't condone stealing but, then I just thought HOORAY! At least the well will survive somewhere.

Thinking about it now though, it's been a long time.  I don't know if that was an article I read in the Record, or if it was just a rumour that was passed around.

Anyone know?

Michelle

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Brewster Mansion (Prospect Avenue)
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 05:54:50 PM »
The following passage is from Michelle's original email to me wherein she attached the picture of the Brewster Mainsion.

As a child I used to slow down on my bike past the Brewster and watch it each and every time I passed by on the way to my friends house. Embarrassing to admit it now, but at the time I built up a lot of fantasies about that house...

Looking back at it now, I am trying to realize just why it stuck in my imagination and in those of my contemporaries

It evoked fairy tales, history, and hauntings. The grounds, the hedges around it hiding it from the street - Gracious living of both the Tudor age thru the 1920's.... (Titanic era). It was timeless and for whatever reason apparently resonated with those who saw it. (More than the other two mansions that abutted it equally as beautiful in their way which are forgotten, at least to those to whom I mention them).

The grounds behind the Brewster, extending way back behind it were stunning even after years of neglect.  Anyone who has ever tended a garden and  left it for even one season knows what this means.

The Brewster Gardens:  Winding paths thru the woodland. A ornamental pond...A wishing well, each turn in the path leading to something new and unexpected, a new 'room', a new and unexpected vista.  Whether well-tended or a forgotten garden;  Those gardens were exceedingly well-planned!

It was abandoned for quite a few years before it was torn down.  When I was eleven, I explored the house and grounds right before it was razed. Even then, torn apart and vandalized, it lived up to my expectations.

Years later, I started a career in the arts.   It's likely that the mansion was the reason I went into this field.

The Brewster Mansion, for whatever reason, stuck in my imagination.
It is a tragedy that that house and grounds are gone.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 11:34:08 AM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Brewster Mansion/Dirt Pile (Prospect Avenue)
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 05:55:27 PM »
Sometime after the Brewster Mansion was torn down and Prospect Towers went up, a very controversial dirt pile existed on the site (for about 10 years).  Thanks to Eric Martindale for this information.  See Eric's post above for more information.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 06:00:20 PM by Editor »

Offline latter43

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 07:41:54 PM »
I remember "Brewster's Mansion", while riding my bike down Prospect Avenue, back in 1971. Do you know why such a fantastic dwelling went to wreck and ruins?.

Latter43

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 05:48:54 PM »
The street was rezoned for high-rises.  It is likely that the owners of many of the houses felt no point to maintaining or upgrading because the value of the property was 100% in the land, and they would never get a return on the investment by performing home improvements.  And because the next owner would be tearing it down anyway.

As for this specific property, I think it sat vacant for many years before it was demolished.  It may even have been vacant in 1971

Offline Bliss

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 08:21:54 PM »
The first time I saw Brewster Mansion, I was seeking refuge from a sudden down pour of rain on my way home from Hackensack Hospital.  I was a candy striper.  That was the summer of 1965.  The story I heard was that Brewster put the Mansion up for sale when The Whitehall was built.  I was a freshman then, in 1963.   There was much concern at the time about all of Prospect Avenue becoming high rise buildings. A "Save Prospect Street" group was formed.  Many thought the threat was exaggerated.  It wasn't.  Dr. Lynch, whose home was on the corner across from Brewster's Mansion, vowed never to sell.  I believe it went on the market recently.  I was told that the reason why a  building was not erected on the Brewster lot was because of the cost of a supporting wall.  There were many beautiful homes on Prospect.  The home on the opposite site of The Whitehall was my favorite. 

Offline Top of the Hill

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 04:54:54 PM »
The year was about 1972, I was about 13 and some of my buddies and I discovered a basement window down in a window well where the plywood had been removed. This house was a wonder to explore. The basement did have a 2 lane bowling alley. There was also a movie projector that hung from the ceiling. We communicated to the various floors through a laundry chute that we would yell through. The kitchen was huge with 2 walk in refridgerators. The dining room had beautiful paneling. There was a wing of the house on the ground floor that was a library/parlor. Stained glass windows throughout the house. The second floor had several bedrooms and bathrooms. I recall 1 of the bathrooms had a built in sauna, kind of like a metal box you would climb into and close the doors with only your head exposed. There was also a scale built into the floor with the dial built into the wall. The third floor appeared to be servant quarters as it was accessed by a smaller stairway and also a spiral staircase that if I recall correctly ran from about the kitchen area to the 2nd and third floors. It was dirty and a lot of books were scattered about, but was not yet stripped of fixtures and plumbing. We used to bring other kids there and tell them it was haunted. We would bring them in the bathroom and somebody would be hiding in the sauna and pop their head out, the frightened kid would then jump back, land on the scale and the dial would start moving. By this time they would be so freaked out we would say "follow me" run down the hall into one of the bedrooms, ducking to the left while the room seemed to make a natural progression to the right. Problem was if you went to the right, it was actually a wall of mirrors. It was hysterical to watch kids crash into the wall. While we had fun in there, even at this young age, I realized this house was very special and always hoped that somebody would restore it. There was also a very large garage on the property. I recall it had an office or something of the sorts (chauffer's quarters?) built in. Also it had motorized garage door openers, very old, probably one of the first such motorized openers. I recall a building in the back, built into the hillside, just a door and what looked like bunk beds with sand in them. Somebody used to say they were slave quarters. Thinking back on it, I'm sure it was a root cellar. I had visited the mansion about 5 or 6 times that summer and then never again, but it made a huge impression on me both because of the fun we had there and the architecture and oppulance it once had.