Author Topic: Prehistoric Pterodactyl observed on Hackensack River  (Read 5159 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now

Offline Kaffekat

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Prehistoric Pterodactyl observed on Hackensack River
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 09:16:12 PM »
What do you mean I can't feed the animal... ?
Now you tell me!

How am I supposed to return the pick up trucks worth of insects, mollusks & fish now?

???

Personally, I think it highly inconsiderate of you not to make this clearer sooner.
 ;D

LOVE the photo!!

ericmartindale

Re: Giant bats, this is not a joke
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 05:47:15 PM »
Great joke, Al.

Now here’s one that’s NOT a joke.  Could there be a “giant” species of bat, unknown to science, that is sometimes seen in Hackensack?

From 1993 to 1996 I lived at 33 Essex Street, one block from the courthouse. It’s well-lit dome dominates the night sky, attracting a great many insects and the bats that feed upon them. On any warm night, one can see many bats flying around the dome.

On several occasions from the second floor windows of 33 Essex Street, I could see unusually large bats flying around the courthouse dome. They always had my curiosity. On one humid mid-summer night in 1995, right after a large thunderstorm, I decided to walk down to the courthouse and get a better look at these bats.

There, to my astonishment, I saw 8 or 10 bats AT LEAST AS LARGE AS CROWS flying around the dome. They were flying alongside typical small bats, all picking off insect attracted by the lights. They were definitely bats, which have a distinctively different flying pattern than birds. I did some research and determined that no known bat species of this size is native to the United States. I looked for them on many nights that summer, and I did see them only once again, about a month later.

So what were these bats? Are they some unknown and very rare species, somehow surviving undetected in such a densely populated area? Where do they roost, and how many of them are alive? It’s ten years later, are they still alive today and living in Hackensack?

anything