General Category > Hackensack Discussion

Property Taxes

(1/23) > >>

wetochwink:
Whatever the outcome of today's mayor and council race - its time to move on to the next election race - Governor.  NJPolitics.com provides links to all who are running.

Since hardly anyone running for Mayor / Council focused on issues such as property taxes, I thought it was worth bringing to focus a political race that will.

I'm trying to gather any or all information regarding property taxes from candidates wanting to run for governor. 

The more I look into this - property taxes appear to be a Republican issue in the race for governor.  With Corizine appearing to be the only front runner for the Democrats - I don't any statements on the issue by Senator Corizine from his web site.

I guess since Gov. Codey eliminated the property tax rebate this fall - its no wonder why Republicans are raising the issue.

Doug Forrester

http://www.30in3.com/htmlNew/index.asp

I know its early to pick who to vote for, but Forrester sure knows how to grab one's attention. I thought the savings calculator was interesting to share. It may be nonsense and then again it may not be.

Bret Schindler - Property Tax Amendment Reform

After plugging in values for Bergen County and Hackensack the following was provided on Schindler's web site.

Stand Up for Hackensack!

It’s time we demand that our community receive its fair share of state funding!

Every year, as New Jersey’s economy grows, state tax collections grow.

State politicians spend these new dollars creating new state programs and adding friends to the state payroll.

Legislation being debated in Trenton would force state politicians to start sending a fair share of these new dollars to public schools, municipalities and counties to improve local services and lower property taxes.

Studies show the passage of this legislation would cause property taxes all throughout New Jersey to fall year after year after year.

Had these “Permanent Property Tax Reduction Amendments” been passed last year:

Hackensack’s public schools would already be receiving $4,403,279.93 more in state funding;

Hackensack’s municipal government would already be receiving $4,474,098.08 more in state funding;

Hackensack’s tax obligation to Bergen County would already have been reduced by  $580,731.14 this year; 

And Hackensack’s property owners and tenants would already be enjoying $9,458,109.15 in total property tax savings!

Most property owners in New Jersey would have saved about 10% in property taxes this year. To find out what YOUR personal savings would have been, type your address into our Tax Savings Calculator at www.bret2005.com.

If you want lower property taxes, it is time to stand up for Hackensack and demand that our community receive its fair share of state funding!

John Murphy

http://www.murphy2005.com/main/proptax.html

Robert Schroeder

PROPERTY TAXES

Our property taxes continue to skyrocket, rising out of control. Yet, the career politicians who fail to address the problem remain in office year after year.

As a local elected official and fiscal conservative, I know first hand that quick fix budgets and funding gimmicks (like bonding and tax increases) are useless. Until you cut costs, eliminate waste, and curb the political abuse of taxpayer dollars, property taxes will continue to rise.

I am an ardent supporter of shared administrative services among municipalities looking to lower their property taxes and plan to utilize cost cutting measures like this to create savings. Sharing staff and administrative duties, coordinated purchasing of supplies, and sharing public works, employees and equipment all create tremendous savings. Without ever touching local emergency services, we can accumulate substantial savings in the payroll, benefit and financing costs that make up a big chunk of local budgets.

Most importantly, we must eliminate the political deals and no-bid insider contracts that drive up the cost of government. It's time to throw the career politicians out and save taxpayer's more of their hard earned money.

Editor:
Latest story: Hackensack budget holds 9% tax increase

Related topic: How about that 4.5% tax increase?

Editor:
Latest story: Budget boosts school tax bill

See related post: BOE- Priming the Pump (From last year)

Netnick:
Any idea on when the re-evaluation results will be ready? Between those results and the recent news here, I wonder if any of us can afford to keep living in Hackensack. I'm already paying over $7100 on a small cape which is rediculous!

Editor:
10/10/05

A property tax forum sponsored the District 37 state legislators is scheduled for 4 to 8 p.m. today on Fairleigh Dic kinson University's Hackensack campus.

State Sen. Loretta Weinberg, D-Teaneck, and Assembly members Valerie Vainieri Huttle, D-Englewood, and Gordon Johnson, D-Englewood, will be on hand to listen to ideas about property tax reform.

The discussion will be held in Dic kinson Hall, 140 University Plaza Drive. For more information, call 201-541-1118 or 201-928-0100.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version