Author Topic: Property Taxes  (Read 119168 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Property Taxes
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 10:25:29 AM »
The article about the budget is here

Scroll down to "Hackensack".

Offline Netnick

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Property Taxes
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2007, 11:14:08 AM »
Does anyone know when we find out the proposed school budget number so that we have an idea what this will cost the taxpayers before we go to the polls on the 17th? Also, is anyone going to the Public Hearing on the budget on May 8th? I'd like to see as many people go down there to voice their displeasure with this ridiculous budget (especially during a revaluation)!

Offline Netnick

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2007, 08:01:44 AM »
Did anyone go to the meeting last night? I was unable to and was wondering what was said about the tax increase during the reval year.....

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2007, 08:55:51 AM »

Offline Netnick

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2007, 02:08:09 PM »
Does anyone know when the new rate will be ready? I saw someone post on NJ.COM that it will be 1.95.....any truth to this?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 12:57:48 PM by Netnick »

Offline Netnick

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2007, 09:19:42 PM »
Did everyone receive their new tax bills? I see the new rate is 1.99. What does everyone think?

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2007, 09:55:03 AM »
Mine only went up $458 dollars. I'm happy.  All that worrying for nothing. 

Offline Skipx219

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2007, 01:31:54 PM »
Mine went up 24% - an increase of $ 1651.80 and I am NOT happy.
I've spoken to several people who's Taxes went down. I'm told that the house on the N.E. corner of Summit & Anderson almost doubled.

Offline itsme

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2007, 11:22:30 PM »
Mine went up more than $1,000.  I am not happy.  I have not met anyone whose taxes have gone down.

Offline itsme

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2007, 05:54:29 PM »
I attended the City Council meeting last night.  There were many in attendance with questions regarding their taxes.  While the City Manager treated people with respect when answering their questions, I felt Mr. McAuliffe did not take the matter seriously.  In fact, it appeared as if he took it as a joke.  Several from the community commented upon this.  While Mr. McAuliffe was not elected (to which he reminded everyone serveral times), this is a serious matter and should be handled as such. 

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2007, 07:06:23 PM »
I attended the meeting also.  Councilman McAuliffe can defend himself but, from where I was sitting (front and center) it appeared to me that he took the matter seriously.  Some people in the audience took any hint of a smile as cause for accusation. The Councilman smiled. Things aren't always what they seem to be.

I met someone today on Euclid who's taxes went down a few bucks. While few people will argue that we shouldn't have waited so long to do the revaluation, it seems that the burden was redistributed.  People's taxes now reflect the actual value of their property. If they don't, then owners should appeal the assessment.   

www.zillow.com will tell you the new assessments for any given property and also tell you what homes sold for in the surrounding area.

For some reason, Bergen County GIS still shows the old assessment: http://gis.co.bergen.nj.us/hackensack/viewer.asp
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 07:37:19 PM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2007, 08:48:33 AM »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2007, 09:49:17 AM »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2008, 03:11:30 PM »
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 03:14:47 PM by Editor »

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2008, 09:35:57 PM »
I reviewed that maps and I think that the tax reassessment fairly and accurately reflected market conditions at the time of the reassessment.  Most properties on Summit and Prospect Ave appreciated faster than the rest of the Fairmount Section, and they got tax increases.  The quality of life in the city's working class neighborhoods have improved significantly, which is the result of home improvements, demolition of old structures, and new construction. Nobody should be surprised that houses on Berry Street, or Park Street, or most of the First Ward, have appreciated MORE than the rest of the city, on average.  Those neighborhoods have improved.  That's why assessments there have skyrocketed.  Nor is it a surprise that the tax burden has shifted away from commercial and industrial properties.  We all know that the boom was in residential real estate more than non-residential...DUH !!!!

What's unfair is that property values have gone down since the reassessment was completed, and do not reflect the current values now in February 2008. That is true all across the city.  All homeowners, working class to middle-upper class, are suffering equally.  Property values have gone down, but the city's budget has not.  This creates a budget crisis.

We're going to have a repeat of the early 1990's, in which thousands of property owners petition for tax appeals, AND WIN.  This will AGAIN create a budget crisis of great consequence, because the city budget is not going to go down along with property values after tax appeals.

And here's the irony, there was a full re-evaluation in 1987. That re-evaluation was also was done the very year that the real estate market peaked.  Wow, history has really chosen to repeat.