General Category > Hackensack Discussion

Property Taxes

<< < (2/23) > >>

Editor:
Latest story:  McNerney, Caliguire square off over taxes

Editor:
Latest story:  Property-tax burden depends on income

Netnick:
Has anyone else received their new assessments yet? Mine went up 2.41 times the current assessed rate. Also, when do we find out the new tax rate???

itsme:
I received my new assessment.  My property value went up 3 times as much.  I called the assessor's office and was told that we would not know the new rate until the school board budget was decided.  I was also told that the new tax bill would come out in May.  However, if anyone wants to appeal the assessment, the appeal must be filed prior to April 1.

Editor:
From today's "Your Views" in The Record:

Contributing Editor James Ahearn ("Pressing for property-tax relief," Opinion, Page O-2, Jan.14) suggests that conflicting interests between seniors on fixed incomes and parents of school-age children will, among other factors, inhibit the resolution of the New Jersey property tax di- lemma.

He also indicates a potential for division between municipalities and their employees if towns cannot increase tax revenues because of Governor Corzine's proposed tax cap. It is unlikely that in an election year any Legislature would restrict the raising of funds that substantially pay for education and municipal services. Such a restriction may provoke teachers and municipal workers into acts of labor unrest and even political retribution.

If property tax reform is to become a reality, then we must look to the state income tax for a solution. The present system based on property assessment does not distinguish between rich and poor and incorrectly views them as equals.

A fair and reasonable approach is to require those with the highest incomes to pay a higher state income tax. The state could use that money to help finance education, thus reducing property taxes.

Jack Isaacs

Hackensack, Jan. 14

I have been following with amusement the bantering of our elected officials on property tax reform ("New hurdle to tax relief: caps on local spending," Page A-1, Jan. 4).

The approaches being proposed will do little to reduce the never-ending increases in property taxes. As your articles have shown, the two biggest items driving property taxes upward are the increasing salaries and benefits for police and teachers. Since the rate of increase of these two items is not likely to decrease due to the power of their unions, the only realistic way to reduce property taxes is to fund these items via a broad-based tax such as the income tax.

Spending caps coupled with the 20 percent tax reduction proposed by Governor Corzine will accomplish little, buying just a little time after which we would be back to Square One.

The property tax is fundamentally a tax on real estate, which is not really indicative of wealth (i.e., ability to pay). One could hold millions of dollars in cash, stocks, bonds, jewelry, works of art, etc., and not pay a dime annually in property taxes if one rents a modest house or apartment. Income is a much better indicator of one's ability to pay. Ask the federal government.

John V. Albano

Oradell, Jan. 8

New Jersey voters sent a clear message when they rejected half of all school budgets in April: They want tax relief.

One way to bring tax relief to property owners is to switch from property taxes to an earned income tax to pay for education.

It is the fairest system based on "ability to pay." Lower-income households would keep most of what they earn while higher-income recipients can afford to pay more.

Everyone who earns an income, including renters, would contribute directly to the education of our communities' youngsters. Some would argue renters already pay property taxes in the rent they pay their landlords. But they are not contributing to schools at the same rate as owner-occupied residents.

Property taxes keep going up for retirees living on fixed incomes. Why should older folks who own property have to pay for the education of renters' kids? At some point, retirees deserve a break after having paid school taxes for 30 to 40 years.

Jim Geist

Hewitt, Jan. 1

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version