Author Topic: Joe DeFalco  (Read 8673 times)

Offline Rob Gartner

• View Profile
Joe DeFalco
« on: May 10, 2005, 10:43:02 PM »
My wife and I didn’t grow up in Hackensack so we didn’t know him as long as many others but Joe made us feel very much at home.  Despite his business schedule, he always had time to talk, ask about our children and humor us with a story.  He made us feel like great lifelong friends.  We appreciate the time we knew Joe but only wish it had been for a lot more years.

I first met Joe playing golf a few years back.  Since he didn’t seem to be playing well that day, I make some encouraging remarks along the way (“Don’t worry.  You’ll get the next one).  Not really knowing him, I was trying to be friendly.  His play never seemed to bother him, he just kept on smiling.  Halfway through the round (I assume to take the pressure off me), he finally laughed and told the truth: “What do you mean get better?  This is the way I always play.”  Much to my embarrassment, he loved to repeat that story.

I think Joe would have made a great mayor.  I am sorry he will not get the chance.  He clearly loved the city and its people.  Judging from the reaction I saw from many students, teachers and parents today, the feeling was clearly mutual.  Joe was as good an ambassador as the schools and the city could have asked for.

Our condolences go out to his family and friends.   Thanks, Joe, for being a friend.  We will miss you.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Joe DeFalco
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 11:31:04 PM »
Originally posted by "WestaRick":

I would like to express my deepest condolences to the DeFalco family. Though I did not know Joe personally, I cannot recall a single instance where anyone said anything but good about him. My thoughts and prayers are with the family at this time of sorrow.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 11:35:36 PM »
Posted by "Jsmith" in the High School thread:

As a current student of HHS, Some of the comments amaze me about what some people thing about the high school. But if some were at the school today and saw the reaction to the news of Mr. DeFalco's death, you would not believe the unity... We all became one family, and I am proud to be a part of it. Rest In Peace Mr. Joe DeFalco

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 09:15:17 AM »

Offline kathgo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 09:34:23 PM »
What a loss for Hackensack! Joe DeFalco was an extraordinary man, who really seemed to love what he was doing! His friendly manner and his warm smile will be sorely missed.
     Our sincere sympathy is extended to the DeFalco family, to his many friends, to Hackensack High, and to the city of Hackensack.

With Warm Regards,
                                       Kathleen Gough(class of '66) and Matthew Atwan(class of '97)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 11:07:30 AM »
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 02:19:34 PM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005, 09:24:31 AM »
From The Record 5/13/05:

Regarding "DeFalco leaves lasting impression" (Page S-7, May 11):

I graduated from Hackensack High School in 1968. Joe DeFalco was one of the "guys" all of us looked up to and aspired to be like, no matter what sport we played.

Fortunately, I had the opportunity to become friends with Joe D., my biology teacher, as an adult at social events and some rounds of golf.

He and many other students and athletes from Hackensack High are disciples of Tom Della Torre, and other fine educators in the Hackensack school system. Joe D. is a credit to that system. I am proud to have been a friend of that "Hackensack guy" and proud to consider myself also a "Hackensack guy."

Howard Shaw

Rutherford, May 11

Offline devil

• HackensackNow Regular
  • Hackensack Now Patron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2005, 01:57:17 PM »
I just came back from Joe's funeral. I am sure he was looking down at all his friends wishing him eternal peace.

Of course, the Record sent a photographer into the church to take pictures of the grieving mourners. What is the matter with the Borg family? Thankfully someone close to Joe's family had the sence to ask her to leave.

Maybe the new name for the paper should be the Bergen Enquirer.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2005, 10:47:46 AM »

anything