Author Topic: Golf Range on Hackensack Avenue  (Read 11516 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Golf Range on Hackensack Avenue
« on: July 25, 2005, 07:04:15 PM »
Does anyone know anything about a golf range that used to exist where Continental Plaza is now?  Someone mentioned it to me recently.  Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Anthony

Re: Golf Range on Hackensack Avenue
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 08:08:59 PM »
Wow, that brings back memories!!!  When I was a kid in the 70's, my mother used to take me to the Hackensack Cemetary, across from Bergen Academies, where some family members are buried.  As a kid I was bored going until I discovered all the golf balls throughout the cemetary.  All the way in the back of the cemetary you can still see what remains of a filled in tunnel under Route 4 which would bring you to Continental Plaza.  There is also a small headstone, not too far from the tunnel, made from a stone that had an indent big enough to fit a golf ball.  Once in awhile there would even be a golf ball in it!!!  Whether or not someone did it on purpose or it was just a great shot is another story.  I'm not sure, but I think the range might have been where the County DPW is now.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 12:30:53 AM »
Thanks for the info!

Offline Suzanne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 09:45:27 AM »
Every bit of information pertaining to the golf range is very helpful to me.  If anyone knows anyone who might have a photo of the range or even the actual golf range name I would be most appreciative. To give some background - I have been trying to obtain a photo of the range for over three years.

Thank you. - SMS

Anthony

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 07:11:38 PM »
I talked to my Mom today about the driving range.  She said it was in fact on the Continental Plaza site.  She said people would drive through the tunnel and into the cemetery to retrieve their golf balls.  Rt. 4 wasn't so wide back then.  I drove to the cemetery today to bring back some of those memories and it brought a smile to my face.  You can't really see what remains of the tunnel because of the huge mound of dirt and trees that now block it.  The headstone with the indent is intact with flowers growing out of it.

My Mom did mention the Maplecrest swim club which was right across the street from the golf range.  There are two pictures on this site of the swim club.  Maybe the person that sent the pictures of the swim club might have info on the golf range.  Good Luck! :)

Also, Ralph Calise who was a teacher in the High School,and golf coach at one time too, was a champion in many golf ball driving contests.  I don't know if he still teaches there but if he does, you should reach out to him.  I'm sure he could be of assistance.  (Great guy too). 

Offline wetochwink

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 09:32:37 AM »
There was a golf course or range on the location of Nellie K Parker school (Maple Hill School) too - right? 

I had a childhood neighbor for years insisting on this.

Offline irons35

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 09:55:03 AM »
That is where Hackensack Golf Club was before they moved to Emerson in the 40's.  the Golf club was from the back side of the houses on Summit Ave to Central Ave to Passaic St. to Golf Pl. in Maywood.  The real estate was worth a fortune in Hackensack/Maywood then, so they moved to the sparsely populated Emerson.

Offline semafore

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 09:41:51 PM »
I worked at Maplecrest as a teenager in the 1950s and walked past the driving range across the street on Hackensack Avenue all the time. There used to be a creek behind the driving range where we used to go to collect golf balls...until the owner caught us and slapped each one of us in the face...and we never did it again. Mickey Mantle used to live in River Edge or New Milford and used to drive balls at that driving range. In those days baseball players lived amongst the fans!

I sent in the photos from Maplecrest but don't have any of the driving range (film was expensive!).

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 04:18:52 PM »
I remember seeing the very tall netting for the Hackensack Ave golf/driving range right by the exit off Rt. 4 west to Hackensack Ave. south.
Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 11:26:54 AM »
Has anyone found a picture of the range yet?  I've had several requests for it over the years.  First one to find and post a picture wins a copy of Hackensack: Three Centuries of Prosperity.