Author Topic: Fair Street Tavern & The Trolley Stop (Essex)  (Read 20041 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Fair Street Tavern & The Trolley Stop (Essex)
« on: August 28, 2005, 03:25:47 PM »
Someone sent me an email asking about The Fair Street Tavern at 34 Fair Street and the Trolley Stop on Essex Street.

He writes:

There are three places that stick in my mind but unfortunately I dont have any pictures of them.  The Trolley Stop was a restaurant on Essex Street, near Fair Street that was shaped like a trolley train. It was actually a diner, that was red. You could always smell the food even from across the street from the place.

The other place was the Fair Tavern, which was a bar on Fair Street.

There is another place that closed in the mid 70's. What I remember most about the place was the large mural on the wall of people from I guess the 1950's enjoying themselves and playing pool.  I think it was on broadway, near the old Broadway elementary school, there was also a shop that sold live chickens.

If anyone has any pictures, information, recollections, etc., please follow up with a post.

Thanks.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Fair Street Tavern & The Trolley Stop (Essex)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 03:39:45 PM »
Wow.  Someone saw this post and mailed me the menu.  Thanks! (whoever you are).  Feel free to follow up with your recollections.  I really appreciate the menu.

I can't get over these prices. 

« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 05:10:26 PM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 12:48:19 AM »
Thanks again to my "historic benefactor" who sent me two vintage booklets on the City of Hackensack and Bergen County (1926).  I'll scan some pages soon and post in these boards. 

One day, I hope to have some small display cases in the lobby of City Hall to display this ever growing collection of City memorabilia. 

Offline chadshere

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
my father worked at the fair tavern and i lived next door...i have a pic of this on facebook along with other places in the area...go to facebook and check with Chad TheCondition Callis and check my Hackensack Street Tour 2011 photos..lots have reminisced and feel free to do so also...

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 05:15:42 PM »
Thanks. Here's the link for anyone with a Facebook account.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 05:43:19 PM by Editor »

Offline Skipx219

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 02:25:34 PM »
I posted it on my Facebook Page for my HHS class of 1965 could tour the City. It went over very big & many posts were added. I sent a message to the maker of the site to say thanks for his effort...and he appreciated the positive posts that we added. Turns out 2 of his Cousins were in My Graduating class. I thank you for finding it to begin with.

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 08:35:20 AM »
there was also a shop that sold live chickens.

That market was on New Street, between East Kansas St and Broadway. I lived on New Street for a few years in the late 80's/early 90's. The chicken market was closed down by then, but the building stood for years.

Offline Chief Oratam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 01:13:48 PM »

Johnny, there were 2 poultry markets...1 on New street and 1 on Hudson street... They were Father and Son, Joe Occhipinnti (not sure of spelling) the father was on new st. and there was  a guy there they called ca-pooch.....Man He could cut-up a bird  like nobody else could..

The Name was Blue Ribbon Poultry Market.........

« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 01:23:21 PM by Chief Oratam »

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 05:44:01 PM »
That's right Chief, the Blue Ribbon market....so many years I had forgotten!

Offline chadshere

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 08:13:32 AM »
glad you enjoyed Johnny G...I also have a pt 2 of the street tours...am working on adding more for pt 2 and will be also adding a part three!...thanks moderator for adding the link!

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 08:36:42 AM »
I'm not on facebook but I would love to see the pics...how can I do that?

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now

Offline Oratam_Weaping

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
    • Weap Integration in planniNG (Weaping)
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 05:17:47 PM »
The mural on the Southern wall of the Fair Tavern was commissioned by the owners of the tavern to an American black employee of *Dickie Sansari's car wash on Essex St. The mural was excellent and clearly depicted Duke Ellington; Ella Fitzgerald; louis Armstrong (In his late twenties); Ben Webster; Clark Terry and Roy Eldridge; Ed Thigpen; and other Jazz Greats.. I believe there were eleven in total.  According to the present  owner of the  mural is intact behind a stud wall.

[* The North Side of Essex from the corners of State to Main were as follows: Ben's Staionary Shop, who's sign advertised soda and Ice Cream, and candy, he also sold toys; Red's Service Station, competed with Joes Sinclair  (where 75 Essex is now) then changed to "City's Service," then "Citgo"; at the triangle there was "Flying A" Gasoline and "Crown" Gasoline back to back. Later the Trolly Stop would occupy that parcel. Next to Red's was Sansari's Car Wash and there was a working bowling ally up stairs which closed three years before the first Shop Rite in the area took position at the top of Essex Stree near Prospect. I seem to recall Breslowe's still being in business. After that there were three houses followed by a dual brick apartment building with eight apartments four stores. The longest tenants being a Chinese Laundry, and a Barber.

Fair Street from Essex to Lodi Streets: Three grocery stores, a fish market, a bakery, a clothing factory, a salumeria, a variety store; a barber; and a fix-it shop.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 06:12:48 PM by Oratam_Weaping »

Offline Oratam_Weaping

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
    • Weap Integration in planniNG (Weaping)
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 06:21:06 PM »

Johnny, there were 2 poultry markets...1 on New street and 1 on Hudson street... They were Father and Son, Joe Occhipinnti (not sure of spelling) the father was on new st. and there was  a guy there they called ca-pooch.....Man He could cut-up a bird  like nobody else could..

The Name was Blue Ribbon Poultry Market.........

Blue Ribbon Poultry was on New Street, Occupinti was a part time worker, and later married a Iurato girl and moved upstairs from a Fair Street grocery store called "Angelina's" then affectionately "Moms". Vic Cenecola oned the Stationary Candy and Ice Cream store on the corner by Broadway. Like most Italians second or first generation immigrants they built brick mixed use structures in the 20's give of take a few years. The practice of mixed use buildings and zones when tastefully done is proving one that works, or will work today.

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 08:21:31 PM »
Vic Cenecola

yes, i remember him...he talked with a voice box. We always just called it "Vic's", and i would stop there either before or after my paper route.