Author Topic: Borgs Woods  (Read 109809 times)

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
Re: Borgs Woods
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2010, 11:31:56 PM »
Ahhh, just who I was thinking of, Mr. PhotoLeafe. 

The real challenge at Borg's is to photograph the red fox.  They are usually seen around the central swamp, especially in early mornings, or near the fenced area east of the swamp.  And the Blue-Ribbon Award goes to whoever can photograph a 20-lb Great-Horned Owl.

I wonder if Mr. Labrosse or Mr. Leafe is up to that challenge ???

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2010, 12:44:11 AM »
The real challenge at Borg's is to photograph the red fox. And the Blue-Ribbon Award goes to whoever can photograph a 20-lb Great-Horned Owl. I wonder if Mr. Labrosse or Mr. Leafe is up to that challenge ???

Lemme get this straight: you want me to photograph a Great Horned Owl and then ask it to step on a scale and that it better tip 20 pounds or else I don't get..........a ribbon?

I'll pass. It's all yours, John.

And, yes, it would be a real challenge to photograph Redd Foxx, who's been dead for 18 years.

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2010, 09:03:54 AM »
Ol' Homer to the rescue here. If not in jail, Ms. Foxy Brown is/ may be a resident of Englewood. If we can get her to stop in at the central swamp early some morning, the big old red fox's libido may cause him to respond to her reggae crooning. Now if Mr. Leafe can dress as a Great Horned Owl and sit in a tree -- voila -- we have the picture.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2010, 09:47:48 AM »
Or, we can just pretend this was taken at Borgs...

(Great horned owl)

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2010, 12:10:01 PM »
if Mr. Leafe can dress as a Great Horned Owl and sit in a tree

Been there, done that.

In exchange for this childhood photo of me, Ol' Homer has agreed , in return, to pose in this costume:

That oughta be a real hoot! Can't wait to see THAT post!

Because of all the requests, I took my magic cellcam to Borg's Woods very early this morning and found a whole variety of owls there:

I even found one with justwatching's red fox:

As I was leaving, I captured a silhouette of the deer and turkeys against the light of the rising sun:

That's it.........I'm done. I hope you're all happy now, because I'm not going back there until you all buy me dinner at the grand opening of the new Joint in the Woods Cafe.

Bon appétit!

« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 12:16:48 PM by BLeafe »
Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2010, 12:49:17 PM »
How about dinner and a show? We can start off with the Owl and the Pussycat.

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2010, 01:51:55 PM »
Gee thanks, but that's not my style. Opening night at the Joint in the Woods Cafe will do because they already booked someone to open the place that I prefer. The poster for it has already been made:

Correction: The old Joint in the Woods club was not on Rt 17 - it was in Parsippany.

I was thinking of the Hole in the Wall club on 17. Anyone remember the big painting of a hole in the wall on the front wall where you could "see" what was going on inside the club?

Great 70s club names. The worst local 70s club name? "The Cuss from Hoe" on Paramus Rd, Paramus.

Offline Chief Oratam

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2010, 10:03:17 PM »

I was thinking of the Hole in the Wall club on 17. Anyone remember the big painting of a hole in the wall on the front wall where you could "see" what was going on inside the club?

Great 70s club names. The worst local 70s club name? "The Cuss from Hoe" on Paramus Rd, Paramus.

They really packed them in at both of them.....some good Local Bands at The Cuss........

How about The Bears Nest.....The Library..... The Tow Path....Mothers....The Soap Factory...The Mouse Trap...The Ram's Horn.....so many places, to many places.....

As far as the Wild life in Borgs woods....it makes its way in following Streams and railroad tracks....see the story about Garrett Mountain....in the Record 2 weeks ago.....they say up to 600 deer live there.....they are opening up a hunt to thin the heard.....about 3 years ago there was a dead deer on 17 at Essex st....
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 04:36:24 PM by Chief Oratam »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2010, 08:50:55 AM »

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2010, 11:00:48 PM »

Thanks to Photoleafe for the pic's.  Good work.  Now if you had asked the Bullwinkle guy to pose in Borg's Woods for a photo, we could say there was a Moose siting.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2010, 11:20:54 PM »
At the rate all these large animals are returning to Hackensack, care to guess when there will be a Black Bear siting ???  I recall several have invaded Paramus over the years, and one got as far as a tree in someone's back yard in Rochelle Park. They come down along the Saddle River, so eventually they'll reach Hackensack.

Could bear sitings be in our future. 

And why stop there, why not the legendary Sasquatch, aka the Bigfoot.  Hackensack old-timers called it "Oily Oliver", way back in the 1800's.  Old Oliver must have been bathing in that central swamp back there.

I read somewhere that there are more Sasquatch sitings east of the Mississippi than in the Pacific northwest, and that the Great Plains and Rockies is where they aren't seen so often.  Something to do with rainfall patterns and the availability of food.

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2010, 01:07:47 AM »
there was a Moose siting.

There WAS a moose SIGHTING:

However, his pal Rocky wandered off and hooked up with the coyote that was sighted earlier.

Don't believe it? Here's proof:

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Red Fox in Borgs Woods
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2010, 12:19:53 PM »
For anyone who's counting, we have actual photos of a coyote, a turkey, a deer and a red fox in Borg's woods:

Thanks again John.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2010, 09:12:56 AM »

Well, there's the proof for all the naysayers.  There are two canine species in Borg's Woods, and neither is an escaped domestic dog.

Offline hhscomets_alum

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2010, 12:51:52 PM »
May Borg's Woods remain forever!!!   Beautiful!!!

anything