Author Topic: Borgs Woods  (Read 110777 times)

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
Re: Borgs Woods
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2010, 08:01:33 PM »
You are 100% correct on Ross Avenue and when the City stopped allowing the sleds etc.
It was around the same time, if not earlier, that the City had a sled run constructed at the Second Ward Park on Polifly Road.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2010, 08:45:42 PM »
Hey Alyssa,

Why don't you whisper in your Grandparents' ears and tell them to donate that rear fenced lot to the Borg's Woods Preserve and make it a tax write-off.  I'm sure that Bergen County would accept the land, and I know quite a few environmental organizations that would have something to say in favor of this.

That rear fenced lot does them absolutely no good whatsoever.  And if they donated the land,  they wouldn't have to pay taxes on it.  I bet that would save them $1000 or $2000 a year.  Plus the tax write-off will be much larger, their accountant can figure it out.  You never know, they might be in the mood to do this.  It makes sense financially.

Sometimes when people get older, they become more charitable and more community-minded, and they do things that they might not have considered years earlier.  To give something back to the community.

It would be great to see that fence come down, it so much intrudes on the character of the nature trails.  The two neighbors to the south of your Grandparents both shed their rear lots to the County.  And their rear lots are now part of the preserved area.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Borgs Woods/Sledding/etc.
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2010, 10:51:10 PM »
I remember when Ross was closed for sleds but I remember sledding down Euclid, whether it was closed or not.   

I still have my steel/wood Radio Flyer and have looked for the opportunity to sneak in a ride during the right conditions.  I have taken that "S" turn on sled and every mode of wheeled transportation imaginable.  I've wrecked several time before perfecting my run. On the "south fork", the trick is to hug that thin strip of asphalt between the curb and the manhole on the second bank.  If you lean too much, you might catch your knee on the curb or "kiss" the bumper of a parked car. Be careful.

It's snowing now.  Who's ready?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 04:33:11 AM by Editor »

Offline HHS72

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2010, 10:48:09 AM »
Ross, Euclid and Clinton were all closed off for sledding (late 50's to 60's). I guess back then they let kids have fun (no video games, limited TV, no computers).

Offline njurbanforest

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2010, 07:06:19 PM »
I have created a blog on Borg's Woods. Please see the link below:

http://njurbanforest.com/2010/02/25/borgs-woods-a-living-museum/

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2010, 10:26:11 PM »
The devastation in Borg's Woods from the storm of March 13th is almost beyond imagination.  There was a massive blowout of trees in one part of the woods. 

It looks like about an acre of huge old trees was annihilated.  There's just a huge hole in the canopy with a few small trees stripped of all major limbs.  In that area, every single major tree fell.  It came crashing down from the top of the hill, one tree taking the next one down, and so on.  Stopped at the end only by someone's house, which was severely damaged.

Bad for the trees, but good for ferns and wildflowers. And probably a good place for ol' wiley coyote to hide. 

It's sad to see such huge old trees fallen, many over 100 feet tall and probably 300 years old.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2010, 12:36:18 AM »

I never heard of such a thing as a TREE AVALANCHE, but that is basically what happened in the SE corner of Borg's Woods on March 13th.  A professional forester is visiting the woods on Sunday with Eric Martindale to document this rare event.  An event which is rare on a statewide basis, at the very least.

About 15 - 20 fully mature trees, each one pulling down the next in a widening front pushing downhill.  It's a frightening scenario that actually happened. 

Perhaps 100 tons of wood snapping and crashing down. I beg the roar must have been heard 1/2 mile away, and it may have gone on for a good 20 - 30 seconds.   It went downhill for over 300 feet, increasing in power as each tree fell on the next.  The latter trees fell so hard they were smashed flat to the forest floor.  If it wasn't for the fact that the tree avalanche left the woods, it would have gone on further.  The last tree to fall wasn't even uprooted, it snapped at the base.  Raw power, raw energy. The last tree and another oak then smashed across the southern end of the vernal pond, across the back yard of a house, and then directly into the same house on Brook Street.

The ruins are more than spectacular, more than tragic.  Where are our trusty photographers when we need them.

Offline Chief Oratam

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2010, 07:24:56 AM »

About 15 - 20 fully mature trees, each one pulling down the next in a widening front pushing downhill.  It's a frightening scenario that actually happened. 

Perhaps 100 tons of wood snapping and crashing down. I beg the roar must have been heard 1/2 mile away, and it may have gone on for a good 20 - 30 seconds.   It went downhill for over 300 feet, increasing in power as each tree fell on the next.  The latter trees fell so hard they were smashed flat to the forest floor.  If it wasn't for the fact that the tree avalanche left the woods, it would have gone on further.  The last tree to fall wasn't even uprooted, it snapped at the base.  Raw power, raw energy. The last tree and another oak then smashed across the southern end of the vernal pond, across the back yard of a house, and then directly into the same house on Brook Street.

The ruins are more than spectacular, more than tragic.  Where are our trusty photographers when we need them.

Justwatching.....You missed your calling......You should be an Adventure Novel Writer....But for all I know maybe you are..... :o
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 04:59:29 PM by Chief Oratam »

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2010, 09:10:24 AM »

Thanks for the plug, but I take no credit................Sometimes the power of nature exceeds that of the imagination

Offline njurbanforest

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2010, 10:20:55 PM »
I visited Borg's Woods to see the damage first hand on Saturday March 20th. I took a lot of photos. I will be posting them on my blog www.njurbanforest soon.  I will let this forum know when.

Offline njurbanforest

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2010, 10:22:29 PM »
Sorry the previous link to my blog was a dud it's http://njurbanforest.com/ Thank you

Offline njurbanforest

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2010, 10:39:21 PM »
Please click the link below for pictures of Borg's Woods after the storm.

http://njurbanforest.com/2010/03/23/borgs-woods-after-the-storm-pictures/

Offline njurbanforest

• View Profile
Borg's Woods Statement from McNerney
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2010, 10:38:00 PM »
Please see below for McNerney's statement regarding the fallen trees at Borg's Woods

http://njurbanforest.com/2010/03/29/borgs-woods-statement-from-mcnerney/

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2010, 09:58:26 AM »
Today's Chronicle:

Clean-up in Borg's Woods debated
Friday, April 2, 2010
BY MARK J. BONAMO
Hackensack Chronicle
MANAGING EDITOR

HACKENSACK — Nature or nurture?

The question of whether to physically clear the landscape of Borg’s Woods in Hackensack following last month’s violent storm has stirred a familiar debate: should park enthusiasts support a clean-up effort following a destructive environmental event, or should nature simply be allowed to take its course?

Located just behind Summit Avenue where the municipalities of Hackensack, Maywood and Paramus come together, Borg’s Woods is named after John Borg, the grandfather of Malcolm Borg, chairman of the board for North Jersey Media Group, parent company of Hackensack Chronicle. Formerly owned by the Borg family, the 14.2 acre site, a unique old growth remnant of deciduous forest, became a part of the Bergen County park system in 1994.

During a March 13 storm that led to many downed trees and power outages throughout Bergen County, a large cluster of trees, mostly fully mature beech that were reportedly all over 200 years old, fell in the southeast corner of the park. Two trees also crashed into a house on adjacent Brook Street. Close to an acre of the park was all but leveled by the storm.

As is often the case following powerful storms in which a significant number of trees were downed, park authorities such as the Bergen County Department of Parks step in to clear the damage, work that includes chopping up large fallen trees into smaller logs.

But local environmentalists hope to thwart any such attempt at Borg’s Woods, believing that nature’s handiwork is all that is required.

"Trees blocking major trails should be cleared, but otherwise, fallen trees are characteristic of an old growth forest," said Eric Martindale, lead organizer of the former Borg’s Woods Preservation Coalition that helped transform the area into a park. "The trees aren’t blocking the trails. In addition, large fallen trees provide habitat niches for various types of wildlife."

"Any time that you bring heavy equipment into the woods, you risk creating further damage to shrubbery and wildflowers all over the area," added Martindale. "It also creates an unnecessary expense in a time of budgetary shortfall."

Raymond Dressler, acting director of the Bergen County Department of Parks, could not be reached immediately for comment. But Capt. Bill Sheehan, head of the Hackensack Riverkeeper environmental advocacy group, believed that from the storm’s damage comes needed regeneration.

"Bugs and other small critters will take care of the trees in good time, and that’s how you replenish the soil of the forest," Sheehan said. "Things die, they fall down, they biodegrade, and new things grow up. If a tree falls in the woods, it should probably stay there."

Sheehan’s Hackensack Riverkeeper colleague, development director Diane Saccoccia, concurred with his conclusion.

"That is Mother Nature cleaning house," Saccoccia said. "That is what she does."

E-mail: bonamo@northjersey.com
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 09:21:29 AM by Editor »

Offline njurbanforest

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2010, 10:12:24 AM »
Please see below regarding the cleanup of the March 13th storm at Borg's Woods:

http://njurbanforest.com/2010/04/10/borgs-woods-update-4-10-10/