Author Topic: District 37 Politics  (Read 43649 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: District 37 Politics
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2007, 09:46:24 AM »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2007, 10:19:33 AM »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2007, 09:24:24 AM »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2008, 01:00:37 AM »
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 08:10:49 PM by Editor »

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2008, 07:38:45 PM »
Since I couldn't pull up the article, I went online and found it. 

Listen loudly everyone:  Hackensack doesn't need a PART-TIME police chief.  We need a full-time chief. 

One has admit that he does a fairly good job as police chief.  Let's keep him there FULL-TIME.  It's totally unacceptable to have a Police Chief that is frequently down in Trenton. When Chief Zisa retires, he'll have plenty of time to get back into politics.

Personally, I'm not in favor of him getting elected to anything.  And now that I know that the Ferriero/Zisa machine supports Hillary Clinton, I'll be voting for Obama. And if Hillary wins, I'll have to make the difficult decision:  vote Republican for President, or vote for a Democratic whose victory will give more strength to Ferreiro and Zisa.  I hope I won't be put into that dilemna.  Go Obama.  Here's the article

HACKENSACK -- City Police Chief Ken Zisa said Wednesday he will run for a state Assembly seat in 2009.

Again.

The police chief served as a Democratic assemblyman for eight years but left office to run for sheriff in 2001. He lost, and has since made several aborted attempts to get back into the state Legislature.

"I've had a desire to go back to the Legislature," Zisa said Wednesday. "It's widely known in political circles."

Zisa's run would set the stage for a Democratic primary in the 37th District with Assemblywoman Valerie Vainieri Huttle and Assemblyman Gordon Johnson, assuming that both incumbents decide to run again.

It wouldn't be the first time Zisa was involved in an intraparty fight in the 37th District. In 2005, Zisa challenged Loretta Weinberg in a special election to fill a vacated state Senate seat.

Initially polls indicated he had won, but a judge later overturned the results by counting five ballots that had been disqualified. Zisa also put his hat in the ring for the Assembly in 2007 against Huttle and Johnson but dropped out of the race after Bergen County Democratic bosses withdrew their support.

"He is, of course, free to do as he chooses," said Weinberg, senator from the 37th District. "We have two incumbent Assembly people, and that's who I'll be supporting."

Neither Huttle nor Johnson returned messages asking for comment.

Zisa said he expected to have the support of the Bergen County Democratic Organization.

Bill Maer, spokesman for the Bergen County Democratic Organization, said it is far too soon to think about endorsements in a 2009 race.

"Chairman [Joseph] Ferriero does not give endorsements until the year that the election is going to occur," Maer said in a statement.

Zisa said that, if elected, he would not quit his job as police chief.

"If I go back there, I would have no desire to give up this job unless I got into a leadership position or something like that, where I saw the time commitment was significantly greater," he said.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 08:14:35 PM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2008, 01:48:45 AM »
I think Ken Zisa makes a great Police Chief.  I also think a person can take on several roles and do each well. I would love to see a Hackensack native representing us in Trenton. Ken's devoted his life to public service and is worthy of this community's support.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 01:51:40 AM by Editor »

Offline average Joe

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2008, 11:05:46 PM »
short on history,'just watching"... chief z. already served in assembly while serving as chief,police dept did just fine.to characterise this as 'part-time" chief is just smear,based on motivations known best to you.
he s competent in both positions.so far as it goes(LOL)

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2008, 12:00:03 PM »
There are other websites that can be used by people who want to smear, or participate in back-and-forth on whether a candidate should be elected or not. That's not the function of this website.

I'm merely making the observation that Hackensack taxpayers are paying for Ken Zisa to be full-time Police Chief, but he would instead be spending half his time and energy as Assemblyperson.  I object to that, and this objection is valid whether or not I like him or not.  I am certainly not the first person to make this observation, nor will I be the last.

I had the same objection to the late Joe DeFalco running for Mayor while still being High School Principal.  There's a good chance that he'd still be alive and well, if he wasn't pushed too far, and stressed too much. What a shame that was that he died on election day.  I feel sad for his family.

There's a big push in NJ against allowing people in positions of power to hold dual offices.  I'm not sure if it includes Police Chiefs, but if it doesn't it should.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2008, 12:08:47 PM »
I don't think it's right to put caps on someone's ability.  Great people accomplish great things. Who are we to set limits? Especially when the roles they choose to perform complement each other. Also- you can't look at a person's "energy" like battery-life. It doesn't work like that.  People can delegate duties and effectively manage their time to get things done. Seasoned professionals know how to "make time".  Some thrive on it.

People make great sacrifices in the name of public service, whether intentionally or not.  But that's an individual decision.  What would have happened if people convinced MLK, - "Hey, you're working too hard!  Sit back and relax. You can't be a preacher and an activist".

Nothing good comes easy.  Nothing good comes without risk. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 07:36:05 PM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2008, 08:20:45 PM »
Something else bothers me about what you wrote. I'm sure that those involved with the 2005 campaign were hurt to read it. 

It's one thing to express an opinion, but you crossed a line. It's posts like yours that make me want to shut this site down.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2008, 11:30:26 PM »
Now you are "Fishing" for people to attack my prior post, that is not appropriate.  The TV media already rose that speculation when it was breaking news, it shouldn't shock anyone to read it now.  We all know that it was a tragedy that Joe DeFalco died on election day.  Of course, I feel sad for his family, just as you did.  I would hope that everyone felt sympathy, even those who didn't support his slate.

I supported his slate and his political organization, and I continue to do so now. Thank you.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2009, 07:49:51 AM »
Yesterday's United Supreme Court decision on the Voting Rights Act potentially affects State Legislative District 37, which includes Hackensack. 

Voting in a 5-4 split, the Supreme Court struck down a North Carolina voting district that was set up with a 39% minority voter base, under the theory that this aids in electing a minority candidate because of white "cross-over" voters.  (Not sure how valid this theory is any more, given the last Presidential election).  The Justices ruled 5-4 that only a 50% or more minority district qualifies as valid under Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

An article appearing on this subject matter is in today's New York Times.  Probably the Record as well, if anyone still reads it.

Hackensack used to be part of District 38, which was a huge C-shaped district that was very closely split between Democrats and Republicans.  It was always considered a key battleground district in state-level races.  Sometime around 1990, the Districts in Bergen County were realigned so that Englewood, Teaneck, Bergenfield, and Hackensack, four communities with high levels of minority voter registration, would form the core of a new district that would be solidly Democratic.  Like the District in North Carolina, New Jersey's District 37 was setup with less than 50% minority voter registration.  The theory was that it would help enable the election of black elected officials. 

The big down-side to the change is that the district is so solidly Democratic that it is no longer a battleground district in state elections. The candidates for state office no longer give citizens and citizen groups in Hackensack the micro-level of attention that they had done when Hackensack was part of the old District 38.  Some of us miss that micro-level of attention to our issues.  I can recall Republican office-holders and office-seekers working real hard to make inroads into Hackensack, spending great effort on addressing Hackensack issues in the hopes of getting Independant and cross-over Democrat votes. And the Democratic office-seekers working real hard to keep all their Hackensack voters loyal.  I miss that dynamic.  It's a "given" that the Democrat will win, he or she doesn't even need to campaign.

The re-districting movement was led by Hackensack activist Walter Fields, who had burst onto the Hackensack activist/political scene in 1987.  He pursued various issues, became a contributing writer to The Record, and then involved himself with nationally-recognized NAACP litigation in Yonkers that he wanted to duplicate in Hackensack.  He even met with key Hackensack property owners that would be part of his litigation. Newspaper articles were written about this.  Fields left Hackensack a few short years later, unable to ignite the litigation he sought. The re-alignment of District 37 was his only victory in Hackensack.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: District 37 New legislative map changes District 37
« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2011, 09:23:58 AM »
New legislative map changes District 37
Friday, April 8, 2011
BY MARK J. BONAMO
Hackensack Chronicle
MANAGING EDITOR

HACKENSACK — When the final lines for New Jersey’s new legislative district map were announced on April 3, the once-every-10-year phenomenon had some predictably unpredictable consequences.

NEW JERSEY APPORTIONMENT COMMISSION
New Jersey’s new legislative district map was released April 3.

The bipartisan, 10-member state commission empowered to create the districts from which voters will elect the entire state Legislature this November, including all 80 members of the Assembly and 40 members of the Senate, was deadlocked after two months of public testimony and a week of intense private negotiations before the April 3 announcement.

Then Rutgers Professor Alan Rosenthal, the commission’s nonpartisan 11th member, broke the tie, announcing that he believed that the Democrats’ map was more in line with "the current distribution of partisan preferences in New Jersey," as well as more closely fulfilling the legal and constitutional obligations of legislative redistricting.

"It is a map, I believe, that gives the minority party a chance at winning control of the Legislature in what is essentially a Democratic state," added Rosenthal just before casting his deciding vote in a Trenton legislative hearing room.

Rosenthal’s resolution will ripple throughout the Garden State. Statewide, the Republican resurgence, clearly seen in Governor Christie’s decisive win in the 2009 gubernatorial election, may slow down. In the 37th Legislative District, Hackensack remains the largest municipality. However, several satellite towns to Bergen County’s capital have now been spun off to other districts. And the addition of Fort Lee to the district proves something long known about New Jersey politics: the only thing that is certain is change.

Hackensack joined by Fort Lee in 37th

The new state legislative districts were created to align with population changes documented in the most recent census. The new districts, although facing a potential legal challenge from state Republicans, will be in place for the June primaries and the November general election, when the composition of the entire Legislature will be decided.

Hackensack witnessed some of its nearest neighbors departing from its 37th Legislative District home. Rochelle Park and Maywood have now both become members of the 38th Legislative District, thanks to the new map. Bergenfield has also been joined the 38th District, while Ridgefield Park has joined the 36th District.

In the newly drawn 37th District, Hackensack is still grouped together with Bogota, Englewood, Englewood Cliffs, Leonia, Palisades Park, Teaneck and Tenafly. However, a mix of municipalities, including Alpine, Cresskill, Northvale and Rockleigh, has now been joined to it.

The most noteworthy addition to the district is Fort Lee, a municipality similar in size and diversity to Hackensack. Approximately 30 percent of Fort Lee’s population is Asian-American, a number that is rising steadily and is a reflection of the demographic group’s growth statewide. Asian-Americans now make up nearly 20 percent of the state’s population.

Senator Weinberg assesses the new map’s impact

While noting that the district she represents remains largely Democratic, state Sen. Loretta Weinberg (D-Teaneck) also pointed to the new additions to the 37th District as the continuation of a trend in her political life.

"I started out in Teaneck, one of the most diverse communities in the state of New Jersey," Weinberg said. "The Asian-American community is a growing population that is becoming more involved in civic life. I hope to help them get involved, both in terms of running for office locally and statewide at some point."

Regarding the impact of a newly complete statewide legislative district map generally seen to favor Democrats, Weinberg provided perspective.

"In the short run, it means that the Democrats have the best chance [in the upcoming elections], providing they provide good government, to maintain control of the Legislature," Weinberg said. "This is extremely important, because this governor has plans to not only dismantle public unions, but to dismantle the whole public school system in the state."

While Weinberg and Christie clearly do not see eye-to-eye regarding many issues, including pension reform, health care and education, Weinberg dismissed any discussion of Christie’s potential national ambitions as his political star continues to rise despite the legislative map setback.

"I don’t care about frustrating Chris Christie’s ambitions – that’s up to the voters in New Jersey or nationally," Weinberg said. "What I’m interested in are his plans to dismantle the public school system, granting a huge amount of new charter schools with very little accountability, taking away women’s access to health care and taking away a woman’s right to choose. Those are the things that I’m interested in."

Voter participation even more important than new map

Dr. Brigid Harrison, professor of political science and law at Montclair State University, agreed that the new legislative map favors the Democrats at least in the short term, and will shape the state’s political landscape in the long term.

"The outcome almost assures the governor of the status quo in terms of his relationship with the Legislature," Harrison said. "For the next several years, it appears that there will be Democratic majorities in both chambers. It enables the governor to blame not just the Legislature, but also the Democratic-controlled Legislature. But then again, this type of divided government can be beneficial to both the executive and legislative branches. People tend to like divided government."

Harrison noted that the state legislative district fight could be seen as practice for the upcoming federal Congressional redistricting, which will begin June 15 after the appointment of a commission for this task. This group will have a January deadline to realign districts to follow new population figures. These census figures have indicated that New Jersey will lose one of its 13 seats in the U.S. House of Representatives.

No matter whether New Jersey is ultimately a Democratic, Republican or in-between state, the legislative map is not just an arbitrary collection of lines and colors. According to Harrison, it is meant to be drawn up according to the political will of New Jersey’s voters.

"When we draw these maps, one of the things that we look at is [voter] turnout," Harrison said. "The state legislative district map has changed, and now the Congressional district map is going to change significantly as well."

E-mail: bonamo@northjersey.com