Author Topic: Hudson Street - Belgian Block  (Read 4436 times)

ericmartindale

Hudson Street - Belgian Block
« on: September 24, 2005, 03:24:40 PM »
Progress is under way to improve the curbs, sidewalks, and lightposts on Hudson Street from Marion to Lafayette.  The project calls for Belgian Block curbing. 

Belgian Block is a little bit more expensive than concrete, but they last three times longer, at least. Everyone knows that concrete doesn't hold up to road salt, especially the really strong Calcium Chloride road salt that has been used since the early 1980's. In the long run, belgian block is much more economical than concrete curbing. I feel the city should make it a policy city-wide that all new or replacement curbing be Belgian Block.

QUESTION #1: Does the Editor or anyone else know why the newly constructed curbs in front of the Hudson Street Fire Station are concrete instead of Belgian Block. And not just the driveway section, the entire curbing in front of the fire station is concrete, as well as the industrial property across the street. It looks terrible and out-of-place compared to the quality of the entire project. If it was just the driveway of the fire station, and some expert says the granite stones won't hold up to the weight of the trucks, I would have to accept that, even though I would find it hard to believe. But the concrete curbing goes far beyond just the driveway cut. So, please post an answer.

QUESTION #2:  While the contractors are still there, can the new concrete curbs be ripped up and installed with belgian block?

QUESTION #3:  When the next section of Hudson Street is improved southwards from Lafayette, will it be Belgian Block as well?

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Hudson Street - Belgian Block
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 02:38:38 PM »
Answer #1: I'm told concrete was used near the fire house because that section of the curb will be painted yellow as with all fire stations.  Yellow Belgian block wouldn't look right.  Also, the mortar used to hold Belgian block together wouldn't withstand the weight of fire engines that occasionally need to pull up on the sidewalk. 

Answer #2: No.  See answer to #1.

Answer #3: Belgian block will be used for the next phase of the Hudson Street Project.

ericmartindale

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 10:51:42 PM »
Does this mean that the curbing ACROSS THE STREET from the fire station will also be painted yellow, and that's why there is new concrete there instead of belgian block. Also for the small house between the Fire Station and the corner of Lafayette. Please confirm. Thanks.

When will the next phase of Hudson Street beautification commence?

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 08:53:37 AM »
Yes.  Across the street too.  This is part of the zone for making turns in and out of the firehouse.  No parking against a yellow curb.  Not sure about the house.