Author Topic: Services for the homeless...  (Read 230666 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Services for the homeless...
« on: March 16, 2004, 11:22:42 PM »
An article recently appeared in The Record about the City's "homeless" and Bergen CAP's plan to expand services for the "homeless" in Hackensack.

Click here to read the article: Services for the homeless are in a political minefield (Requires free registration with The Record)

The above-poll seeks your opinion with respect to Hackensack's responsibility for the "homeless" situation.  Please participate.  You must register with an email address.  Click "Register" at the top of this page. It's easy.

Thank you.

Or Click Here to Register
Note:  Polls are anonymous.  Registration is required to enforce 1 vote per person.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2005, 12:21:10 PM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re:Record Article: Services for the homeless...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2004, 03:43:42 PM »
[The following opinion appeared in The Record, March 28, 2004]:

Regarding, "Hackensack shelter cost criticized" (Page L-1, March 23):

I agree with Bergen County Freeholder Lou Tedesco and Hackensack Mayor Jack Zisa. We are being taxed to death.

Building a $3 million structure can tempt politicians to put the money into pockets of those with "special interests" in the project. That possibility is no secret any time a municipality of the county "builds" something. And when they talk about bonding, the average person does not consider that you eventually have to pay back the bonds down the road.

It's about time someone is thinking of the taxpayer.

Marjorie Montagna

Saddle Brook, March 23
« Last Edit: March 28, 2004, 03:44:23 PM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 11:06:45 PM »
An interesting post turned up on the old message boards related to the topic of "homelessness".  The message is from Aaron Mighty, producer of documentary, in response to a post from "Sam the Answer Man". 

Sam wrote:

We’ve all heard the old theory that the homeless are lazy people who just don’t want to work, and are actually happy being homeless. That theory has gained new credibility...,'

To read full topic thread, click here: Happy Homeless of Hackensack (post no new messages on old board)

Aaron responded:
Hi all,

As the producer of One Happy Movie (the documentary in question here) I just wanted to comment on the homeless man depicted in The Record’s article by Jim Beckerman in case anyone might come across this post.

The man’s name was Dee Dee, and he was not sponging off of the welfare system or any other government funded/tax aided program. He actually received a check monthly from Social Security, which he had rightfully earned for working as a lawyer for some thirty years. He was also a veteran, as were a number of other homeless we interviewed.

He was homeless for one reason only. That was so he could experience freedom as he felt it was meant to be. That made him happy! If you were to see this gentleman, who was so articulate, educated and well mannered, I think we would all change our opinions on the homeless.

You can see a clip of his interview from the film here:
www.onehappymovie.com/movieclips.htm

I hope we can all spread a little happiness as he has to so many.

Best wishes,
Aaron Mighty
One Happy Movie

To learn more about the documentary please visit: www.onehappymovie.com

« Last Edit: February 10, 2005, 12:20:29 PM by Editor »

devil07601

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2004, 11:13:15 PM »
How come on one but eric Martindale is willing to say how much of a problem the homeless situation is?

Almost no one appeared to oppose the Orchard Street Application. That is wrong.

this is the biggest obstacle to revitilization of Main Street.

Offline Kath1948

• Hackensack Now Patron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2004, 03:55:54 AM »
I think Eric Martindale hit the nail right on the head! He made it quite clear that "the homeless" are not just one mass of people, but very unique people with a variety of reasons that they are homeless. There is no one simple solution to the problem, but I think Hackensack should not condemn the homeless, but try to alleviate the problem and be more compassionate about the whole thing. I also believe that Hackensack alone should not have to bear the whole burden. Since it is the county seat, all Bergen county towns should bear some of the responsibility.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 01:34:22 AM »
Mr. Martindale asked me to post the following excerpt from Parade Magazine's "Ask Marilyn" segment.  A writer asks:

What's worse: neglecting responsibilities or avoiding them?  I am irresponsible.  However, I'm also homeless, broke and unemployed.  Thus, I have no rent to be late with, no money to owe taxes on and no boss to call in sick to.  I am happy as a hog in mud. - U.J. Lewis, Forth Worth Tex.

Marilyn responds:

Maybe we need a new word for you, U.J.  How about unresponsible?  It is more accurate and less derogatory.  Anyway, given your lifestyle, it's better for everyone if you don't take on duties that you are unwilling to perform or obligations that you cannot discharge.  I'm glad that you're happy, but I suggest that you work to put something away for a rainy day.  And in your case, I mean that literally.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005, 12:19:31 PM »
"Bergen County could have a new homeless shelter by the end of 2006, county officials said Wednesday.

The proposed two-story L-shaped shelter at River and East Kansas streets in Hackensack would house as many as 100 people, cost nearly $5.8 million and lead to the closure of a shelter on Orchard Street in the city."

Read full story:  Bergen shifts into high gear on plans for homeless shelter
« Last Edit: February 10, 2005, 12:22:59 PM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Services for the homeless...
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2005, 10:52:47 PM »
The Freeholders passed a resolution tonight authorizing the expenditure of $400k for an architectural firm to review/design plans for the homeless shelter on Kansas Street. 

« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 10:41:39 AM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005, 10:41:17 AM »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2005, 09:53:56 AM »
This opinion appeared in the July 6 edition of The Record:

Kudos to the Bergen County government for recognizing that there is a homeless problem in the county and for its apparent successful negotiations with Hackensack for a new, multiservice shelter ("County to build $6.2M homeless shelter," Page L-1, June 24).

However, I take exception to homeless advocate Robin Reilly's remarks regarding putting the burden on Hackensack while "those [northern Bergen] towns" do nothing.

Hackensack is, after all, the county seat. Although many county service facilities are located in Paramus, it makes good sense that services be centrally located for equal access by all county residents. Would Reilly propose that a shelter for the homeless be located in Upper Saddle River, a town that is nearly inaccessible, if at all, via mass transportation?

Deborah Greene

Fort Lee, June 2

My response:  Sure, Hackensack is the County Seat.  Yes, it does make sense to have some county facilities here.  Does this mean that Hackensack residents should carry a disproportionate property tax burden?  Absolutely not. 

The County should provide rebates for Hackensack property tax payers (and Paramus for that matter). There is no reason why Saddle River, Mahwah, Ridgewood and other affluent Bergen communities should benefit from a lack of County facilities in their neighborhoods.  These communities should help carry the financial burden in a way that is fair and equitable.  After all, these wealthier towns are in a position to do so.  Why should Hackensack (mostly middle class) be penalized for seating the County?

Albert Dib
« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 06:13:28 PM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2005, 01:46:27 PM »
The Bergen County Freeholders will vote on a measure to purchase the S. Goldberg property on River Street on Wednesday night, July 13, 2005, 8:00 p.m.  The Freeholders plan on constructing a new County Police and Public Works facility on this site.

In addition, the Freeholders are expected to pass a bond ordinance that will fund the construction of a proposed 100-room homeless shelter on East Kansas Street.

In the July 6, 2005 edition of "The Chronicle", Freeholder Tomas Padilla advocates an alternate location for the shelter, police and public works facilities, - namely, the J. Fletcher Creamer property on E. Broadway, about ¼ mile away from the proposed site.   

The Hackensack Business Community and several other city officials agree with Freeholder Padilla's position.  Moving these facilities away from River Street, East Kansas Street and Main Street will allow for better, higher tax-ratable projects to be built on these prime locations.  In addition, Main Street’s economic redevelopment will be less hampered by the inevitable increase in homeless activity the new shelter will generate.

The Main Street Special Improvement District (SID) is charged with the daunting task of revitalizing a sizable portion of Main Street.  Towards that end, the SID has made significant strides.  The group is focused, energized and committed to its task.  However, placement of the homeless shelter on the East Kansas Street location poses a serious obstacle to Main Street's growth. 

The Bergen County Jail, Parole Office, Probation Office and other county facilities present enough challenges for the City’s economic revitalization. The City and its business leaders understand the need for the homeless shelter.  Likewise, County leadership should understand the need for Hackensack’s economic development.  The Freeholders should thoroughly evaluate whether or not the Fletcher Creamer property is a viable alternative.  This arrangement could be a win/win for all parties involved. 

Residents are urged to attend the Freeholder meeting Wednesday night and voice support for Freeholder Padilla’s initiative to relocate the proposed county facilities.   The meeting takes place at the County Executive Building, at Essex and Hudson Streets. Click here for Directions.

Note: Freeholder Padilla, The City of Hackensack and Main Street Special Improvement District did not contribute to this article.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 03:33:13 PM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2005, 12:07:34 AM »
Update:  The Freeholders passed the bond ordinance to purchase the Goldberg site.  The Freeholders also passed Freeholder Padilla's resolution to get the Fletcher Creamer property appraised. 

While the Freeholders indicated that it was probably too late to move the site of Kansas Street Shelter, Freeholder Padilla still holds out some hope.

At the least, it appears that, if the Creamer property becomes available, serious thought will be given to consolidating other County properties to that location, like the Probation office currently on River Street.

More to come.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2005, 10:22:04 AM »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2005, 07:22:14 PM »
Latest story:  Hope for hard-core homeless

To his credit, Tom Davis, the author of the above article, has always been an advocate of the homeless and those suffering from mental illness.

I'm annoyed that Mr. Davis made no mention about why the City of Hackensack did not put its full support behind the shelter.  He knows.

The City is often criticized for an economically depressed downtown.  While this problem is being addressed by the City and the Main Street Alliance, the new shelter will undoubtedly make this task harder.  As Mr. Davis points out, it appears the homeless numbers are growing.

In addition, the properties associated with providing care for the homeless are non-taxable.  As a result, city property owners are forced to pick up the slack in the form of higher taxes.  This exacerbates real economic growth.   

I wonder if The Record will ever do a serious piece about the lack of concern and assistance from other Bergen municipalities in fairly addressing this County "crisis".  County officials should re-distribute the burden.  Again I ask, why is Hackensack shouldering this responsibility by itself?

Albert Dib

« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 07:41:55 PM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Peter's Place/County Homeless
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2005, 10:01:21 AM »