Author Topic: Services for the homeless...  (Read 236982 times)

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
Re: Services for the homeless...
« Reply #210 on: November 10, 2013, 06:05:29 PM »
Brady is a good man who was praised from coast-to-coast.  He was even mentioned on Facebook by Mike Huckabee.  How could Agatha Toomey of Hackensack justify withholding benefits for this man?  That's ridiculous.

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 10, 2013, 08:22:53 PM »
May I ask what  Mike Hukabee  says on Facebook has anything to do with this particular case?  Mike Huckabee wouldn't know the difference between  Hackensack, Minnesota and Hackensack, New Jersey. This poor guy Brady is the victim of the system and not  Mrs. Toomey.
Let's put it this way: if Mrs. Toomey  had extended benefits to Mr. Brady and a subsequent audit triggered by this publicity had shown that Mrs. Toomey had  released money without  proper authorization and justification, do you think that Mr. Huckabee would have reached out to support her? Do you think that the Mayor and council would have supported her?
Unfortunately in this case, an honest citizen and an honest civil servant are getting  screwed by just trying to do the right thing.
I am more than willing to put my money where my mouth is and make a donation to this individual. I wonder if Mr. Huckabee and the politicians are willing to do the same and also support their employees.
My check is in the mail.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 12, 2013, 07:52:29 AM »
All the national clamor over this case is having an impact.  Mike Huckabee was one small part of it, and I only mentioned that because I happened to see it myself on FB.  This guys talks about national stuff such as the catastrophe of Obamacare every single day, and all of a sudden he's talking about Hackensack and James Brady.  WOW !! What a shock that was.  This political figure is one of my Facebook friends.  His insights, and his calm demeanor, are very impressive to me, and he stands in stark contrast to most of the other "politicians" out there from his own party. Too bad that some people don't like that I mentioned him. Maybe I should do it more often.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #215 on: November 13, 2013, 09:22:11 AM »
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 09:26:21 AM by Editor »

Offline itsmetoo

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 13, 2013, 09:48:25 AM »
I hope that other issues are posted as quickly as this one.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #217 on: November 15, 2013, 01:59:46 PM »
Record Talk Radio with John Ensslin hosts reporter who broke Hackensack Good Samaritan story
Thursday November 14, 2013, 5:28 PM
BY  JOHN ENSSLIN
STAFF WRITER
The Record

Adely, who covers the Hackensack beat for the paper, will talk about the on-going saga of James Brady, the former homeless man who discovered $850 on the street and turned it into the police. Police returned the money to Brady along with praise for his honesty. However, the money also led to a decision by Hackensack officials to cut his public assistance funds.

New News Podcasts with recordtalkradio on BlogTalkRadio

- See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/news/Record_Talk_Radio_with_Hannan_Adely.html#sthash.N8TQ8tXs.dpuf
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 02:03:07 PM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #218 on: November 21, 2013, 10:42:03 PM »
Homelessness down nationwide, Bergen and Passaic counties
Thursday, November 21, 2013    Last updated: Thursday November 21, 2013, 7:37 PM
BY  MONSY ALVARADO
STAFF WRITER
The Record

There were fewer people counted as homeless in Bergen and Passaic counties in 2013, a trend seen across the country, according to a federal study released on Thursday.

When the annual point in time count was conducted one night in January, there were 610,042 people recorded across the country as homeless — a nearly four percent decline from the previous year’s census, according to the 2013 Annual Homeless Assessment Report. Of the homeless counted nationwide, 23 percent were children under the age of 18, and 67 percent were 25 years or older.

In New Jersey, the number grew slightly from 11,721 in 2012 to 11,818 in 2013, but declined in Bergen and Passaic counties. Volunteers counted 346 homeless in Bergen County, including 187 children, a decrease from the 461, including 105 children in 2012.

- See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/news/Homelessness_down_nationwide_bergen_and_passaic_counties.html?page=all#sthash.ZTbxqHLL.dpuf

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #219 on: November 30, 2013, 01:01:39 PM »
More than $9,000 collected for former Hackensack homeless man
Saturday, November 30, 2013
BY  HANNAN ADELY
STAFF WRITER
The Record

HACKENSACK — More than $9,000 has been raised for James Brady, three weeks after a fund was established for the onetime homeless man who lost benefits after turning in $850 he found in the street.

Donations were still being received this week, said Tom Toronto, president of Bergen County's United Way, which started the fund on Nov. 9. None of the money has been spent yet, though, as the United Way works with county officials to determine what Brady needs and how to help him without further loss of benefits.

- See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/news/233901421_More_than__9_000_collected_for_former_Hackensack_homeless_man.html?page=all#sthash.ILZKGYRW.dpuf

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #220 on: February 16, 2014, 12:18:12 AM »
Hackensack homeless man who turned in found cash has lost $800 in welfare
Saturday, February 15, 2014
BY  HANNAN ADELY
STAFF WRITER
The Record

HACKENSACK — Dollar for dollar, James Brady and the government are now about even.

Brady, the formerly homeless man who found $850 in cash on a Hackensack street last spring, turned it into police, and was rewarded with it six months later, has lost four months of welfare benefits — about $840 — because he neglected to report the windfall as income. The penalty, which sparked public outrage, was initially meant to last only two months.

Brady's bureaucratic ordeal isn't over yet: He's still waiting for his monthly cash benefit to be restored.

- See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/news/245651821_Hackensack_homeless_man_who_turned_in_found_cash_has_lost__800_in_welfare_still_waits_to_receive_benefits.html?page=all#sthash.m7tcTqeD.dpuf

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #222 on: June 09, 2014, 09:10:16 PM »
Annual count finds uptick in Bergen County homeless
Myles Ma/NJ.com By Myles Ma/NJ.com
June 09, 2014 at 3:25 PM, updated June 09, 2014 at 3:55 PM

BERGEN COUNTY — A total of 369 people were homeless on Jan. 28 according to a count taken on one night each year.

That is 23 more, or 6.5 percent higher, than the Point-in-Time count conducted last year.

Organizations that help the homeless are required to participate in the Point-in-Time count each year to apply for funding from the federal department of Housing and Urban Development. Monarch Housing Associates, a non-profit based in Cranford, directed the count this year and released the findings Monday.

http://www.nj.com/bergen/index.ssf/2014/06/post_12.html

Report: http://cdn.monarchhousing.org/wpcontent/uploads/njcounts14/BergenCounty.pdf

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #223 on: July 25, 2014, 12:15:11 AM »
Patrons of Hackensack center are treated to special event
JULY 24, 2014    LAST UPDATED: THURSDAY, JULY 24, 2014, 1:21 AM
BY EMMA HINCHLIFFE
STAFF WRITER
THE RECORD

It was more like a holiday in July than a typical lunchtime at the Bergen County human services center, one patron said.

There was catered food on Wednesday, with music performed by classically trained musicians in an atmosphere of warmth and welcome specially created by a group linked to a global volunteerism campaign.

"We’ve never had a regular-season lunch that elaborate before," said Julia Orlando, director of the Bergen County Housing, Health and Human Services Center. "It’ll make it very hard to serve lunch tomorrow."

The standard lunch provided by the center for the homeless who stay in its shelter and other guests who stop by was swapped out on Wednesday for mashed potatoes, Hawaiian chicken and salad, accompanied by handwritten cards that said "We love you," all provided by the International WeLoveU Foundation, a community service group that devotes its time to a variety of causes while trying to show "a mother’s love" through its volunteer work.

WeLoveU volunteers and center employees were joined by Hackensack Mayor John Labrosse, Deputy Mayor Kathleen Canestrino and Councilman David Sims.

- See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/community-news/volunteers-add-touch-of-love-to-meal-at-homeless-shelter-1.1056642#sthash.IMMjr2MR.dpuf

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #224 on: August 04, 2014, 03:52:28 PM »
Bergen homeless center honored at White House
August 4, 2014    Last updated: Monday, August 4, 2014, 1:21 AM
By EMMA HINCHLIFFE
STAFF WRITER
The Record

The Bergen County Housing, Health and Human Services Center was among 60 shelters recently honored at the White House for successfully housing its chronically homeless population.

Julia Orlando, the center's director, traveled from Hackensack to Washington for the reception in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building. The reception was for communities involved in the 100,000 Homes Campaign, a national movement to find homes for 100,000 of the chronically and medically vulnerable homeless by July of this year — a goal it surpassed in June.

http://www.northjersey.com/counties/bergen-homeless-center-honored-at-white-house-1.1061821