Author Topic: Services for the homeless...  (Read 237162 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Services for the homeless...
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2005, 09:33:21 PM »
These boards are funny that way sometimes.  Weeks will go by with many people just reading and not posting.

Hey,- with "blogs" no one ever responds.  Keep posting!

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2005, 09:27:44 AM »

Offline Hope Donnelly

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2005, 09:05:10 PM »
The homeless folks I work with asked me to post  a big THANK YOU to everyone who put on two great Thanksgiving Day feasts (one on Sunday prior to T-day) at Peter's Place.   The food was wonderful, the girl scouts and all the other volunteers worked their butts off to bring a lot of holiday cheer to many people. 

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2005, 09:16:38 AM »
Latest stories:

Salvation Army relocation delayed at least a year

The following is from The Record's "Bergen County Briefs":

Tuesday, November 29, 2005   

HACKENSACK - Organizations are preparing to get the homeless ready for the chilly days and nights ahead.

The Upper Main Alliance, which oversees the city's special improvement district, is collecting coats, bedding, linens, comforters, blankets, towels and hygiene products, including soap, shampoo, toothpaste and deodorant. The Bergen Community Action Program, which runs the Orchard Street day shelter, will benefit from the donations.

Leo Pflieger, executive director of the organization, said donations will be taken throughout December. He said items can be dropped off, or pickups can be arranged.

For information, call the Upper Main Alliance office at (201) 498-1690.

The FAITH Foundation, a homeless advocacy program on State Street, is also collecting items to keep its clients warm. The organization is gathering blankets, gloves, hats and scarves. Water bottles are also needed.

For information, call (201) 342-9007.

- Monsy Alvarado

Offline Hope Donnelly

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2005, 07:06:45 PM »
A phone call to ask about possible apartment openings through the Hackensack Housing Authority on First Street resulted in a disappointing response.   It was merely a rumor that low cost housing became available recently.   The waiting list stands at 4-5 years, and there is no emergency housing.    Even with disabilities, such as the ones some homeless folks I'm working with have - a colostomy, severe asthma, and left-sided paralysis -  there is nothing available.

What is available is for people with big bucks, like those who might be interested in a new condo on State Street, across from Simon Sez.   

Not all the Hackensack shelters are open yet, despite the cold, rain and wind, which would be enough of an emergency for me.

The homeless people I work with say they've accepted their situation.   It's one reason why they no longer fight for themselves - it's always a losing battle.

Offline DebbieK

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2005, 12:13:50 PM »
The Volunteer Center of Bergen County has received holiday gift requests in its All Wrapped Up program from homeless agencies.   If you are interested in spreading some holiday cheer to the homeless men and women of Bergen County, please go to www.bergenvolunteers.org, holiday programs, and you will find instructions on how to donate gifts to these and other agencies.

Happy Holidays!

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2005, 10:00:50 AM »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2005, 09:10:35 AM »
Latest story:  Shelter from the cold

Offline Hope Donnelly

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2006, 08:12:49 AM »
A while back I posted about mentoring the homeless.   After doing so for six months with one particular person, I was unable to continue with him.  Two more have done well.    Follow uo to July 2006, the former is still in housing, having on and off problems with drinking, but still in housing, which for him is a miracle.   That means he's cashing his own check, paying his rent and hasn't caused enough trouble to be evicted.

The causes - abandonment and neglect - are very, very profound.   Perhaps it is not possible to overcome this because of the complexity of it.   What does years of malnutrition, emotional neglect, alcohol or drug use starting at an early age, lack of education, and lack of love do to a child?  These are the homeless - especially the street people who seemingly don't want to be helped.   

Mentoring helps only a little bit.   A team of mentors is actually needed for each person, but we know that is impossible.  There are barely enough social workers with expertise in the issues of homelessness, other than obtaining benefits and services. 

I've met so many wonderful people at New Hope Baptist Church, Center for Food Action, Salvation Army, Bergen County CAP, people who accept our hopeless cases for what they are.   It's very sad to say nothing can be done, but in many cases, nothing can be done.  The best we can do is not judge, treat them all like human beings that they are, and make sure all children, from ALL walks of life, are being nutured.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 03:24:12 PM by Hope Donnelly »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2006, 10:03:06 AM »
Latest story:  A tragic loss on eve of change

A new post was also added above.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 10:05:02 AM by Editor »

Offline Hope Donnelly

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2006, 03:19:54 PM »
I'm saddened to read the news about James Williams, and my heart goes out to the two drivers who hit him.  James Williams was a very nice person under his frightening appearance.  I spoke with him on many occasions on the street, saw him in the ER, where he spent many a day and night.   When I saw him walking in traffic just two days before he died, I wondered if it was a miracle that had kept him from being hit by a car sooner.   He and I, a social worker in the ER, and even the security guard, talked about him getting rehab, planning a life after rehab, and getting back on his feet.   Although he thought it all sounded good, he never sounded like he believed it was possible.   If it doesn't come from within, how does rehab happen?  This is the problem for those who never got on their feet to begin with, who never had any hope.

Offline Hope Donnelly

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2006, 08:00:11 PM »
I'm sure notes of sympathy and condolences would be appreciated by the homeless clients of FAITH Foundation.   

Homeless folks don't have access to grief counselling nor do they have people who would send them a sympathy card. 

The address for FAITH is 86 State Street, and the client was James Williams.   

Today was also the one-year anniversary of the suspicious death of Cindy Russell, a tiny homeless woman who helped out at FAITH.   

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2006, 07:35:57 PM »
Losing the daily battle to keep a roof overhead

"There is no safety net," said Robin Reilly, executive director and founder of the Faith Foundation homeless shelter in Hackensack. "Where a parent might say, 'Come here for a couple of weeks until you get onto your feet,' there is nobody for them. They say, 'I can't go to my family, they don't want me."

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2006, 10:14:44 AM »
Latest story: Refuge draws fire

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2006, 10:49:12 AM »
Tree cutter must serve in Bergen

Fuhrman and Assistant Bergen County Prosecutor Michael Maher said the county's plan is to have Krieger serve at a homeless shelter in Hackensack or a nursing home in Rockleigh.