Author Topic: Services for the homeless...  (Read 237152 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Services for the homeless...
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2006, 10:48:30 PM »

Offline Crawford

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2006, 06:39:23 PM »
On Tuesday, Mayor Marlin Townes told shelter officials and supporters that Hackensack is not against the homeless and that the council has endorsed other grant applications that help the homeless. But he added that his daughter worked at the city library and that her experiences with the homeless "scarred her forever."

"I had to actually take her away from that job because of that," Townes said. "I will not be graphic or anything about what happened, but what happened was totally, totally out of bounds."

So is THIS what he is basing his decision to oppose the grant on?  Scarred for life???   Puhleeze!  Yes - mentally ill people do things that are totally out of bounds.   They do things with poop, they do things with their bodies, and with other people's bodies, and no one wants to see it.  Well - then start working on laws that place indigent mentally ill people in assisted living where they can no longer offend.     

If Peter's Place closes, and FAITH Foundation will probably close with the proposed construction on that block, where are "those people" going to go?

Maybe the manufacturers of $1.00 22- ounce beers (9% ABV) that are sold in the liquor stores in the diciest sections of Hackensack and urban cities will fund sheltering. 

Offline Jwalsh

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2006, 12:07:48 AM »
Good question: "Where will 'those people' go?"

Hackensack already has one shelter on the way.  When every other Bergen town has a shelter, maybe then we should allow another. 

The council withheld their endorsement of a grant for Peter's Place.  An endorsement essentially says the council thinks the project is in the City's best interest or at least won't hurt it. 

How could the council honestly endorse a program when the businesses and residents in the community have repeatedly said enough already. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 01:28:04 PM by Editor »

Offline DebbieK

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2006, 10:41:43 AM »
The grounds of Bergen Regional have ample space for housing.   Advocate Robin Reilly supports this option (interviewed on News12 last year).  Paramus residents would probably have a NIMBY issue though.

Historically, homeless issues have been dealt with symptomatically.  All programs are money pits if they don't address the social structural problems.

The current news of the preschool owners embezzling funds is the type of thing that plants the seeds for homelessness.   School personnel, especially in low socioeconomic districts need to be the eyes and ears and advocates for these children.   The best interests of these poor kids is not important to these thieves.

The past and present ineffectiveness of DYFS is an incubator for new homeless once clients age out.   

Bergen County Human Services needs volunteers to do the homeless census in April.  I will be doing it, looking forward to seeing where the 5000 homeless (IRF) are in Bergen County.   

No one wants homeless people, but closing shelters won't get rid of them.  Peter's Place has expanded its Next Step program which helps people move up and onward.   When the new shelter is built,  Orchard Street will likely close, Peter's Place and the annex will close, day shelter FAITH Foundation will close, and the new shelter won't be sufficient.   The council needs to push for different options that make other BC towns more responsible.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2006, 09:17:06 AM »
Your Views (Record, 4/13/06)

Your Views (Record, 4/10/06)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 09:19:24 AM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2006, 09:46:05 AM »
Latest story:  Factory site eyed for shelter

"It's a fine location for the shelter,'' he said. "If there is a site a quarter-mile down the road that works just as well and is also sensitive to the concerns of the business community, it's a win-win for everybody."

Offline Hope Donnelly

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2006, 05:41:54 PM »
Do the planners really think this location will make that much of a difference?  The homeless people who are alcohol-dependent, walk each Sunday morning to Little Ferry, where the liquor stores open early.   As long as there is low cost beer and vodka available at the stores on Main, Hudson and South State Streets., homeless people and those who people believe are homeless will be panhandling and buying in Hackensack.  Not all who panhandle and loiter are homeless, either.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 06:21:54 PM by Hope Donnelly »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2006, 12:23:53 AM »
I don't think anyone believes that the shelter relocation is the total solution to Main Street's "homeless" problem.  All things considered, the factory site just makes more sense.

The formerly proposed site on Kansas is right on Main Street's door step. Just as the newly formed business improvement district was starting to gather momentum, businesses would now have to contend with increased panhandling traffic steming from the future shelter.  Placing the shelter across River Street will hopefully create some kind of buffer.  Regardless, the mere presense of a shelter on Kansas would deter shoppers not only on Main, but on Hudson which is also undergoing revitalization.

This isn't a case of "not in my backyard", it's more like "not in my bedroom".

Also, placing the shelter next to the proposed County Police HQ couldn't hurt. Freeing up the Kansas Street property could also create a commercial, tax ratable property that works better in that vicinity.  Consolidating multiple county facilities on the east side of River Street (near the county jail) makes sense.   

I agree with you that alcohol is a problem and that's something the business community should address.  I'm only aware of one liquor store at the southern end of Main Street and one on Hudson. Are there others? 

Another factor that I don't hear much about is the treatment ability of the proposed shelter. I really hope that doctors, counselors and social workers at the shelter can make a difference.   

Upset

« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2006, 12:32:29 PM »
Sure, it's bad enough we have the jail so why not add the shelter. Considering that they're planing to build a condo complex right by the jail does this really make any sense. What they should really do is build the shelter in N. Hackensack right by the County Police station. There's nothing out there and most stores in that area close by 7pm which would be perfect. Just my .02

Offline Hope Donnelly

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2006, 04:03:39 PM »
Other liquor stores are on State St. across from the State Street Hotel and new condos (I think it is Simon Sez), Parisi's on South State, which is a great Italian deli that also sells the 22-24 oz beers for a buck, Rojas' on Hudson; Georges, also, up on Anderson. 

Since the shelters empty out early in the a.m., the location will not really make a difference for this crowd.

I learned that one of the worst drinkers, but one of the nicest homeless guys, died in HMC last week.  It seems the "regulars" are dying off.  However, talking with a woman who volunteers in one of the shelters, a "nice looking 21-year-old" from Cresskill was hanging out at a drop-in center with no place to go.   He had moved to NYC, didn't do well there, so came to Hackensack for services.  More of these kinds of clients are showing up looking for services - kids from "good homes" who don't have a clue as to how to take care of themselves or who have mental disorders that were missed or ignored. 

I haven't heard what kind of services will be offered at the new shelter.   A long time ago, in The Record, if I'm recalling correctly, they were talking about a medical clinic, social workers, etc.    There are social workers now who will not deal with the developmentally disabled homeless because they do not (cannot) follow through with simple directions.   

It isn't clear yet, though rumor has it, that Orchard St. CAP will close when the new shelter opens.   That at least would keep the homeless (and not-homeless) from having dinner and walking through town to get to shelters, rooming houses, and camping areas after 5 p.m.   It would also mean more people sleeping outside.  When FAITH Foundation closes, which is a good thing and a bad thing, it will be interesting to see where their clients end up.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2006, 09:40:38 AM »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2006, 09:46:21 AM »