Author Topic: Services for the homeless...  (Read 247499 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Services for the homeless...
« Reply #150 on: July 30, 2008, 10:38:34 AM »
Federal funds sought for homeless

Bergen had the most homeless adults in the state with 1,023 that day. It was the second annual count by the group, which promotes affordable housing.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #152 on: December 03, 2008, 09:36:40 AM »
Homeless in Hackensack: The gift of hope (part two)
(part one is in the reply post, below)
By Tom Davis
Dec. 2, 2008

While she has plenty of detractors, Robin Reilly of Hackensack, N.J. has hundreds of supporters. Many of them are homeless, obvious, who have followed her around for years, and they know that wherever she is, their chances of getting food, guidance and a sense of morality have improved.

Reilly can accommodate, too, because she understands the importance of being politically savvy. That’s comes from her experience working with local hospitals and serving in the health care industry, where she learned that being a bull-in-the-china shop doesn’t necessarily phase the bureaucrats.

That’s why she invited city officials (none of them came) to join her during a service at the First Reformed Church on Court Street, just days before the Oct. 23 opening, to remember about 70 people who died since Reilly left her job as an interior designer at medical facilities to become a full-time advocate for the homeless..

At the event, Reilly faced about 75 other homeless advocates and people without a home – many of them mentally ill or substance abusers, nearly all of whom refused care at the county homeless shelters. They raised their hands during an invocation, hushed their mumbling voices and waited for Reilly to speak.

"Welcome my friends, your prayers have been answered," she told them. "We are one again."

Church members beamed as Reilly declared that the new site at the 300-year-old church will give the homeless a place to eat a snack and get regular health checkups.

"We are trying to help those in need," Ted Kallinikos, a church elder, told The Record of Bergen County, N.J. "We're trying to do what's right for the community

It will be open only from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday; and no one will be allowed to sleep there (wink, wink, Reilly says). But it will be a 5-hour respite for the homeless who have been sleeping in abandoned lots and buildings, and in vacant lots with overgrown weeds on 10-degree days, and find themselves at Hackensack University Medical Center with their toes ready to fall off because of frostbite.

The Rev. Tim Eppolito, the pastor of Faith Reformed Church in Lodi, a sister church, said the decision to provide space was easy – without fear or remorse that they, too, may have joined the hit list that Reilly believes some Hackensack officials and police officers have conjured up and plans to use against friends of Reilly whenever necessary.

"As a non-profit organization, we minister to those who are less fortunate," Eppolito told The Record of Bergen County, N.J., who recited passages from Jeremiah in the Bible about "seeking the prosperity of the city."

For Reilly, smoothness is a rare commodity – especially when you’ve been bounced around as many times as she has. But the church ceremony was exactly what dreamed of as she fussed over paper napkins and place settings two weeks earlier. It was solemn, it was sweet, and it was successful. There was a solemn service where people tossed roses into the Hackensack River in honor of the homeless who have died.

And it was capped by Reilly recalling those who died, as well as their nicknames and clothing attire.

Later, she remembered 2001, when she shared a moment with Jerry Flanagan, a homeless person who died soon after she packed things up in her office at the Salvation Army in Hackensack. She was moving out after using the spot for the summer, and once again planned to take her homeless advocacy directly to the streets.

In that location, at the Salvation Army at 89 State St., she operated out of a 12-by-20-foot office and provided assistance to more than 1,100 homeless and poor people. She attracted the same of legion of followers who came to cry on her shoulder or sleep on a couch, back when she was an administrator at Peter’s Place and before she was fired from there, for a few hours to sober up. In just a few months, she referred hundreds of clients to hospitals, rehabilitation centers, and employers.

"I'm not working for anyone right now. I'm working for God," Reilly said at the time as she packed furniture, a sewing machine, and cans of food. Several homeless people watched, and they hugged her when she grew misty-eyed.

That time, the departure was amicable. Seven months earlier, she was fired by Peter's Place, a privately run, 25-bed shelter at Christ Episcopal Church on State Street. Reilly, who co-founded the shelter in the mid-1990s, attributed her departure to a policy dispute.

Reilly and Stephen Lyle, the commanding officer of the Salvation Army's Hackensack facility, said the two had a mutual agreement that she could use the office only on a temporary basis. But Lyle said the charitable agency needed the space for its fall programs. "Hopefully, she can find another place," he said at the time.

Already, Reilly had a plan. She would walk the streets and railroads and meet with homeless people at the Johnson Library on Main Street. She'd carry her cell phone in case she has to get assistance for them. The one thing Reilly wouldn’t do, she said, was quit.

Reilly was an interior designer who decorated medical facilities. Back then, she dabbled in homeless causes, and she was so moved by the people she met that she gave up her lucrative career to become a full-time advocate. When she worked at the Hackensack University Medical Center, she had an opportunity to see the problem, for the first time, up close.

She saw people with missing toes and thumbs hauled in on stretches quivering after spending the night in below freezing temperatures. She saw them arrive with no one standing by them as they were hauled off the ambulances or wheeled in on wheelchairs.

"I realized that I didn't want to pick out desks for doctors to make them feel better. I realized this was a lot more important," she once said. "It's an unglamorous job, but it's the most rewarding job of my life."

It was then that Reilly sought opportunities to help. But she didn’t want to just, as was suggested by hospital staff, “stuff envelopes.”

“I said, ‘No, I want to be out with the people,’” Reilly said.

As she packed the last of her boxes and bid her followers goodbye at the Salvation Army in 2001, for instance – just months before she would settle in at her State Street location –Reilly's followers crowded her office. Her desk was already gone, which freed up some room for people to sit. One man, Darryl, fiddled with a computer that he helped put together so Reilly could compile statistics. He also played harmonica, getting other clients to stomp their feet as he played away.

That summer alone, she collected more than $3,000 in donations from businesses, civic organizations, and schools, she said. But that money was all spent to buy medication and provide transportation for her clients.

"It's the kind of job where you get to be exhausted, but you say, 'Damn it, I've helped somebody,'" Reilly said at the time. "You look in the mirror and feel good at night."

After she left, Reilly said, she traveled to 178th Street in Manhattan to persuade a former client to give up prostitution. She did not succeed, but Reilly gave the woman a meal before she left. Since then, Reilly said, she has returned there and assisted other former clients whom she worries are "dying" on the Manhattan streets.

Some stayed; others followed her to State Street, and helped drag the ratty old couch with them that people sat on at Peter’s Place and the Salvation Army so they could “rest” at the State Street storefront. Hey, when you’ve been up three straight nights, afraid to fall asleep in the cold, what do you do?

Reilly called the State Street place a boutique store, and there was a collection of old lamps, lights and furniture that people dropped off, with price tags attached to them. She even had an employee to help out. But within months after the place opened, the boutiques never moved.

The cops started to notice, and began questioning her motives. Still there was plenty of “wink-winking” going on, she said. She had an ally in Hackensack Mayor John “Jack” Zisa, who saw her efforts as the one effective way to keep homeless off-the-streets. He looked the other way until he decided not to run in 2005; from there, things went downhill.

"She is one of the most sincere, if not the most sincere, homeless advocate I've ever met in my life," Zisa once said. "She works endless hours helping people."

Then, Reilly said, she was willing to "fight to the death" to protect the homeless. It was the same kind of relentlessness that contributed to her departure from Peter's Place: She said she let a woman sleep on a bench at the facility even though she was ordered not to.

Now the relentlessness is back as she opens her place at the church. City officials may protest, but she’s hoping to find another ally again – before the cops and the code enforcement officials wake up again and give her hell.

That’s fine, she says. She’s in the business of extending lives, even if it’s just for another month, another week or another day.

One such life was a woman named Jacquie. She’s been to jail 30 times, but she’s better known for her scratchy, high-pitched voice, and her habit of going into dining places, eating a meal, and not being able to pay. She’s lived in dumpsters near the Bergen County Courthouse, where she was once raped.

Jacquie has schizophrenia, and she’s been in-and-out of psychiatric hospitals. She does well for a period of time before she finds herself back on the street again, left to fend for herself.

“That’s when she seeks me out,” Reilly said.

Two weeks before Reilly’s new place opened, Jacquie popped in at the First Reformed Church. Reilly was stunned; how did she even know about this place, Reilly thought. But Jacquie was always clever, and she has a habit of popping up out of nowhere.

Jacquie handed Reilly a card. “I love you,” it said. Reilly’s face quickly turned from shock to tearful glee. She’s literally pulled Jacquie out of those dumpsters. To get a card like this, she said, made it all seem worth it.

“They moved me in with a mission and that’s a miracle,” she said.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 09:45:25 AM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #153 on: December 03, 2008, 09:43:57 AM »
Homeless in America: The gift of hope (part one)
(part two is above)
By Tom Davis
Nov. 19, 2008

Robin Reilly knows she’s getting too old for this. A 66-year-old homeless advocate shouldn’t get so excited about anything, especially when every homeless shelter she’s operated in Hackensack, N.J. has been closed because of code violations and run-ins with city officials, police and other homeless advocates. She’s thinks just like the people she pulls out of the alleys and gutters and tries to help. Don’t get your hopes too high, she says, because the disappointment will be worse.

But there she was on a warm October day in Hackensack, scrubbing the burners and wiping off the insides of a large commercial oven in the kitchen of her next new “place.” Her husband was setting up cans in the cabinets, wiping off the counter tops and checking the refrigerator to see if it had any, in his words, “funny smells.”

Out in the dining area of the 300-year-old First Reformed Church, Reilly set up table clothes and worried about place settings. She fussed over dirt on the floor and having visitors see this. “Oh no!” she said as she rubbed the spots with a dish towel.

When she was reminded that her new three-day-a-week homeless outreach center wasn’t set to open for another two weeks, Reilly had to stop and – as she did every so often – lean against a counter or sit in her chair, and collect herself. She held her stomach and her waist – a much smaller waist than what she had in June, because she lost 10 pounds from “worrying.”

Then she winced. “I’m so excited, I’m shaking. I’m sick about this,” said Reilly.

This could be it, she says. It could be the end of yet another stint as “a homeless advocate without a home,” as she’s called herself every time she’s been forced to look for new digs for her posse of homeless people in Hackensack who rely on Reilly for care. They’re people who are usually too drunk, mentally ill or drugged up to get into the local county shelters. Many of them don’t last long in life, unless Reilly is there with her safety net of care.

For three months, since she was booted from her last place on State Street, Reilly was riding around Hackensack, giving food and water and giving homeless people a chance to cool off from the heat by sitting in her car for as long as a half-hour, with the air conditioner on full-blast. One of her “lieutenants,” as she calls them, named “Coach” would scout the neighborhoods carrying a cell phone, looking for people who were wasting away. He’d call her, and then she’d drive 10 miles from her Oradell home in the north, and find them. Then she would usually drive somebody who was on their deathbed to the hospital to get medical assistance.

Most of them lived; some of them didn’t. Four died before Reilly was able to get to them this summer and give them assistance.

In the meantime, Reilly lost weight. “I’m sick – sick with worry,” she said. She never lost this much weight before, but she never worried so much about being without a place, because she thought this was really the end, finally.

She always thinks that way, she says. She always worries. Once she got a place, however, she got new worries about setting up a new service center. “I thought I was done,” she said. “I thought this was really it. I thought they really got me this time.”

She was thrown out of her last stop in June because, according to city officials, she was breaking the law by feeding homeless people on site. Sure, Reilly’s had to deal with this before. But this was perhaps the most traumatic closure she’s had to deal with yet. She had been at the State Street site in Hackensack for seven years, by far her longest stint. Usually, she lasts anywhere from three months to a couple years at any given place.

“I was cited for having people sitting on my couch with their eyes shut,” she said.

In came the people from the First Reformed Church, who gave her fourth place in a decade, and granted the space that finally opened to the public on Oct. 23. It’s the kind of place she’s been kicked out of before – an old church that’s part of the city establishment, where some members have been attending for 90 years. It’s the kind of place that’s given Reilly a chance in the past, such a church-based homeless shelter called “Peter’s Place” that employed Reilly as a homeless advocate nearly a decade ago. Usually, at these types of places, Reilly’s self-described demands to put the homeless first run afoul with management, and she finds herself out in the street again, pulling the homeless into her car.

This church, however, needed what it called “a mission,” and the mission was her.

The church’s blessing may not mean everything, however, because it’s the kind of place that could still make the city squeamish – and angry. She didn’t even bother to tell Hackensack officials what she was doing – not after the way they treated the last time, when they led her to believe they supported her “Faith Foundation” center, only to pull the plug in June and “use phony excuses to throw me out,” she said. This time, Reilly hoped city officials wouldn’t find out until the last minute. “I’d like to slap them in the face,” she said.

Reilly doesn’t mean to be angry, really. Other than the June flare-up, she had a good relationship with the city for as long as she’s been a homeless advocate. But having the cops throw her out in June in such an unceremonious way was so appalling and wrong, she says, that the resentment still lingers.

It brought out her aggressive spirit that has helped her prevail for so many years. It brought out a side of her that is only witnessed by people who stand in her way – such as Bergen County Community Action Program, the county homeless agency that she calls “a toothless bureaucracy” and, in her view, doesn’t do enough to help.

“If you’re strong, you’re strong, and no matter how many times you get knocked down, you get up, again and again,” she said.

Reilly doesn’t worry about her image, either, because she’s more than an advocate, she says. She’s a diplomat and an ambassador for a homeless population that numbers in the hundreds in Hackensack, largely because the city is the Bergen County seat and, therefore, offers county-sponsored welfare services. In public, she’s shown herself to be as sweet-as-pie, one who is no afraid to curry favor with the media and present herself as maybe the one person who actually makes an effort to take care of the homeless.

She’s been sad, too, when she’s had to eulogize fallen homeless veterans whom she cared for and nurtured and hoped that they would somehow find a way to rescue themselves.

Mostly, though, Reilly is a self-described “rebel,” and that’s what she’s most proud of. Rebels, she believes, make the best advocates. They don’t worry about what could happen to them, she says, because that kind of worry only impedes progress. They get things done because they’re not afraid of pissing people off, she says, and she’s done a lot of that.

Some of the people she’s cared for have died, but many more have lived. With her new place, she hopes to save hundreds more – at least that many – as long as she can stay on her feet, maintain good health and keep doing what she’s famous for in the Bergen County, N.J. area.

“My prayer to God was for him to tell me if he wanted me to continue my work and if he could open the door for me,” Reilly said. “It swung open.”

Indeed, despite the wide range of emotions she’s had in recent months, Reilly’s always been a big-picture person. Two weeks before the opening of the church mission’s day shelter for the homeless, she was getting more confident that this will finally be the place where she will finish her work as Hackensack’s chief homeless advocate, and pass on her legacy to the next selfless person who can care for a population that is among the largest in any city in New Jersey.

To Reilly, the big picture is this: Regardless of what happens, she’ll always have hundreds of homeless people, God and, perhaps, some people of influence on her side – all of them happy that she’s doing something to keep people off Hackensack’s streets. Keeping the big picture in mind, she’ll always land on her feet as long as she can keep a roof over other people’s heads.

Just look at her track record – particularly recently, she says. “Can you believe somebody still wants me?” she said.

Many homeless people come to Hackensack because its status as the Bergen County seat attracts various service agencies that help the needy. Advocates estimate that at any time there are 200 to 300 homeless people in the city, far more than the capacity of shelters.

Some of the homeless and poor, as a result, consider Reilly their guardian angel. Unlike the local county homeless agency, Bergen County Community Action Program, she takes people who are in every condition – drug addicted, alcoholic or on the brink of death.

"I don't like what they're doing to Robin. It's unfair, because I come here every day. When she's hurt, I'm hurt," Robert, a recovering alcoholic, told the Bergen Record in 2001.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #154 on: December 23, 2008, 09:59:58 AM »
Today's Record:
Flare-up mars dinner for homeless
Monday, December 22, 2008
Last updated: Monday December 22, 2008, 7:17 AM
BY JUSTO BAUTISTA, STAFF WRITER

HACKENSACK — One hundred of Bergen County's homeless were treated to a Christmas dinner Sunday after listening to a 20-minute sermon that left a bad taste in the mouth of some of the organizers.

The chicken marsala and eggplant parm were fine, but a behind-the-scene disagreement over whether the food or the sermon would come first became a bone of contention that resulted in some temper flare-ups and hard feelings.

The FAITH Foundation had billed the standing-room gathering at First Reformed Church of Hackensack, the Church on the Green, as its annual Christmas party for the homeless, with donations of food, clothing, and gifts from area caterers, civic organizations and high school students. It wanted the chow line to open at 5 p.m.

"Some of them had not eaten in 24 hours," said Robin Reilly, the foundation's executive director.

The Rev. Timothy Ippolito, pastor at Faith Reformed Church in Lodi, said the event was a "worship service first and foremost for the community of Hackensack" and feeding for the "economically disadvantaged" would begin after the sermon, at one point telling the food servers to "drop" the utensils.

Rankled foundation volunteers accused the "outsiders" of trying to hijack their Christmas party.

"It took us seven months to plan this," said Euselpio Camacho, the foundation manager.

"We shoveled the sidewalk. We planned this since October," said Steve Schultz, a foundation volunteer.

Reilly said Ippolito threatened to call police if she interfered with the sermon, an accusation Ippolito acknowledged.

Reilly "sabotaged the agenda," said Ippolito, adding that he gave Reilly an "itinerary" for the night before the gathering and described Reilly as "another example of someone who likes to buck the system."

The foundation, a non-profit group that helps the homeless, operated a center for the homeless in downtown Hackensack that was closed by the city last June.

Since then, Reilly and volunteers have been operating out of cars, on the street, in abandoned buildings — helping the homeless with benefits and health care.

The Lodi church has held worship services at the Church on the Green for the past three years feeding the "soul and the stomach," said Mary Breen a Lodi church leader.

During the sermon, a homeless man named "Bob" suffered a seizure and collapsed. "I pray for this brother out on the floor … heal him," Ippolito said.

When tempers flared between a Church on the Green minister and a foundation volunteer in the back of the room, Ippolito — attempting to calm things — blurted, "Last time I checked it was Christmas."

One homeless man left early, saying he had high blood pressure and couldn't take the drama.

But visitors like Leon Varjian, a math teacher at Midland Park whose students contributed toiletries, said the cause was worthy.

"One of the things I'm thankful for is having gotten involved … I think it opens up the kids' eyes, that there are homeless in Bergen County," Varjian said.

"People literally have nowhere to live. … She's [Reilly is] doing a wonderful job."

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #155 on: December 27, 2008, 12:32:53 PM »
Today's Record:  Homeless ranks climbing

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #156 on: December 29, 2008, 09:25:06 AM »
Economy threatens cities' fights vs. homelessness
Yahoo News: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081229/ap_on_bi_ge/financial_meltdown_homeless

ATLANTA – Beneath the glowing red curlicues of the Coca-Cola headquarters sign, case worker Hylda Jackson bargains with one of Atlanta's left behind.

"Are you ready, right now, this morning?" she says, kneeling beside a white-bearded man.

Harry Byrd's rumpled form is enveloped by the odor of stale beer, even before dawn.

"To do what?" he drawls.

"To go to a place to live. Are you ready right now?" Jackson presses.

A yes would land Byrd in his own apartment, surrounded by people ready to smooth his life's kinks. No, and he'll remain among the 750,000 homeless sprinkled across the nation's streets and shelters each night.

He stirs, but doesn't get up. Jackson moves on. She has other sidewalks to cover, other parks to check, other bridges to pause beneath. This tug-of-war is bound to increase as the economy pushes more people into homelessness.

In Atlanta and other top destinations for the homeless, a sense of urgency has settled over the efforts of advocates such as Jackson.

The recession is catching many of the nation's largest cities in the middle of pioneering 10-year plans to drastically reduce the number of chronically homeless, city by city, by sweeping parks and alleys for men and women and channeling them into apartments with built-in case workers.

Weary Wall Street donors have grown reluctant to open their pocketbooks to charity, and budget cuts have choked state support. By the time those dollars start flowing again, cities could be looking at starting from scratch.

Rampant foreclosures, meanwhile, mean more Americans without a house, pressuring agencies with new cases as they struggle to reach the long-term homeless that so dramatically drain resources.

"This is the start of tough times," says Protip Biswas, executive director of United Way Atlanta's Regional Commission on Homelessness, a coalition of partner groups that includes Jackson, who works in the city's Gateway Center shelter. Biswas is asking his own case workers to nearly double their load.

The economy is hitting all sectors hard. When your goal is eroding a phenomenon directly linked to poverty, however, a crisis this deep delivers an extra gut punch.

"We're sort of holding our breath," says Steve Berg, with the National Alliance to End Homelessness, a leader in forming the anti-homelessness plans.

"Despite the good work a lot of these communities have done with their 10-year plans, we're probably going to have a time when there's more pressure on homelessness."

Five years ago, Philip Mangano, executive director of the United States Interagency Council on Homelessness, got fed up with homeless numbers that had risen for decades.

"How many homeless people (there were), where they came from, how long they stayed homeless, what were the initiatives that actually worked to reduce homelessness — we didn't know," Mangano says. "We were groping in the dark."

So he urged 100 mayors in 2003 to formulate plans to end homelessness within a decade. They would focus on the chronic homeless, defined as those with a disabling condition experiencing long-term or multiple instances of homelessness and who, activists say, suck up half of available resources.

Leaders would measure progress through benchmarks of people staying off the streets, rather than shelter beds filled. Regions began adopting a strategy placing homeless into their own apartments, then offering help, rather than vice versa.

Immediate housing calms some of the most troubled clients, according to the National Alliance, and double-digit drops in homelessness reported in Chicago, Denver, New York and Norfolk, Va., among other cities, seem to back them up.

"We have some remarkable accomplishments here," says New York Homeless Services Commissioner Robert Hess, pointing to a 25 percent reduction in street homeless since 2005.

Mangano says more than 50,000 units of housing targeting the homeless have been created over the past five years; the goal is 150,000 units by 2014.

Atlanta's 5-year-old program is considered one of the most successful — it's created 1,600 units of supportive housing for the chronically homeless. Of 750 people recently tracked through the program, 90 percent remained housed after a year.

In turn, chronic homelessness is down 16 percent in the metro area, the United Way reports.

About once a month at the Coca Cola park, a bus idles along the sidewalk, ready to carry all the down-and-out men and women whom volunteers like Jackson can round up. They'll go to Leonard House, a complex of modest apartments where groups share bedrooms, kitchens and a new start.

More case workers will work on their deeper issues, reuniting clients with family members, connecting them with drug treatment or helping obtain disability benefits. The most responsive participants can eventually earn a one-bedroom apartment, and organizers say some are on their own within a year.

Atlanta secured more than $50 million in federal funds earmarked for homeless efforts within the past five years.

"Atlanta has been doing a good job — that's why the resources have been increasing," Mangano says.

At United Way, however, Biswas worries about how precarious that progress is considering how quickly the money could run out. The organization spends about $10,000 a year supporting each person in its shelter-to-home programs, using a combination of federal, state and private funding.

United Way Atlanta has roughly $9 million in reserve funds to fund operational expenses, grants and the "Street to Home" program, projected to serve more than 250 people at a cost of nearly $4 million during the next two years.

State funds are often used to hire case managers, and private funds fill in the gaps. Both sources are on the decline: The state recently cut $300,000 allocated for case managers, and while community donations have helped sustain the program beyond its seed fund, the group also is bracing for cuts there.

"Right now we have a challenge grant where one donor has offered us a half-million dollars, provided we can do a one-to-one match," Biswas says. "But the normal foundations are telling us they won't have that much to give."

The bottom line isn't on Jackson's mind as she tramps across the grass of a small park in downtown Atlanta, determined to get people off the streets.

Byrd, the homeless man Jackson has approached, doesn't know or trust the nosy woman with the clipboard. He takes her number scribbled on a tattered slip of paper and promises to call.

This morning, he isn't ready to go home.

Offline prospectgirl

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 29, 2008, 10:26:35 AM »
Amazing commentary! Thank you for the service you do by raising awareness of a truly brutal national problem. I was in awe after reading of the altruism of Mrs. Reilly and her husband. Please keep the information flowing so that some of us can find our own way to make a contribution to this situation, however small or large. I have been told by my Asian students that during the IMF crisis in Korea during the late 90's, very well-to-do men fell into homelessness. How that could happen in such a tightly-knitted culture, I am unsure. Nonetheless, with our current economic situation, we should all be conscious of the misfortunes of others. I find it hard to believe that all of the homeless are drinking, doing drugs,emotionally disturbed, or are war-torn veterans. Where will young single mothers go when they lose their jobs? Will the government be able to subsidize and shelter those who will surely lose their jobs in this coming year? I hope someone has an argument to counter my concern,for we are all aware that the growing ranks of the homeless will soon worsen.

Editor...in response to the Atlanta article you posted, do you know if a homeless man such as "Byrd" is typical of what is seen in the Hackensack area? I guess I thought the article implied that some persons like Byrd cannot or do not make adjustments if they even get a solid opportunity. Can you speak specifically to the current situation in Hackensack? Incidentally, I remember how often police blamed any incidents that occurred at our Prospect home (in the 1950's), attributing incidents to "prowlers" and claiming that those who lurked were homeless. You may have noticed that I mentioned such incidents in one of my earliest posts,before I found this thread of posts,and not knowing Hackensack has had such a struggle with this current issue. So, has Hackensack been more blighted than most cities for a long time, or has its problem with the homeless community developed in more recent years?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 04:41:54 AM by prospectgirl »

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #158 on: December 29, 2008, 12:05:18 PM »
http://www.northjersey.com/business/nonprofits/Homeless_shelter_kicked_out_of_home.html

HOMELESS SHELTER KICKED OUT OF HOME

Monday, December 29, 2008
Last updated: Monday December 29, 2008, 6:36 AM

BY JUSTO BAUTISTA
STAFF WRITER

The FAITH Foundation is looking for a home again after it was kicked out of the First Reformed Church of Hackensack following a Christmas dinner for the homeless where heated words were exchanged between church and foundation officials.

"Maybe it's God's way of telling us we were in the wrong place," said Robin Reilly, executive director of the non-profit group that helps the homeless.

Church officials countered that they weren't scrooges and said Reilly refused to follow church rules.

The foundation held a Christmas party for about 100 homeless people at the church. Behind-the-scene tempers were short when Reilly insisted that the homeless be fed before the singing of Christmas carols and a sermon.

The Rev. Timonty Ippolito, pastor at Faith Reformed Church in Lodi, which holds Sunday worship services at the church, said the "itinerary" called for "worship, word and prayer" first, telling the food servers in the chow line to "drop" the utensils.

Reilly said she was concerned that some of the homeless had not eaten "for 24 hours."

Ippolito said he would call the police if Reilly tried to interrupt the service.

While Ippolito delivered his sermon tempers flared in the back of the room when Reilly said, "This is not what I would call a Christian service."

That riled the Rev. Leonard Masquelier, the pastor at the Hackensack church, who roared, "Robin, you're out of here!"

That didn't sit well with Eric, a foundation volunteer and ex-boxer, who got in the reverend's face, blurting, "You don't speak to a lady that way!"

Two days after the event, the church council sent Reilly an e-mail, telling her "effective immediately, your organization is no longer welcome in our church facilities."

On Saturday, foundation volunteers moved five van loads of clothes, food and gifts out of the Hackensack church.

Reilly said the items are "hidden'' in a church which she declined to identify because she didn't want it to get into trouble.

Church elder Ted Kallinikos, who oversaw the removal, said Reilly "didn't follow anything we requested of her."

"We gave her three simple rules: respect the church property as if it were your home, no cursing" and follow the Dec. 21 itinerary, Kallinikos said.

Masquerlier said there's no chance the church would reconsider its decision. The church will cancel its variance request with asking the city to allow the foundation to use its facilities, Masquerlier said.

"She's doing a wonderful thing [for the homeless], but she refuses to follow the rules," the reverend said.

The city shut down the foundation's former location on State Street, saying its certificate of occupancy did not include serving food — food that Reilly said was often sent by the city as a helpful gesture.

Since the holiday blowup, Reilly said citizens, outraged at the way she was treated, have been sending gifts and donations.

Reilly vowed to continue her work with the homeless.

"We'll keep going," she said.

E-mail: bautista@northjersey.com

(Be sure to click the link at the top so you can read the reader comments - especially the ignorant first one)

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 29, 2008, 05:35:22 PM »
Well, Robin's heart is in the right place, but I've never been a big fan of Robin's program because it attracts problem people from outside of Hackensack to to take up "residence" as a homeless person on the streets of Hackensack.  Yes, some of those people are already homeless in Hackensack, but most are from outside cities.  Anything that adds to the population of homeless in Hackensack, count me as being against it.

I'm not surprised that the Church realized that Robin's program was incompatible with their institution.  I bet there was more going on behind the scenes than the news angle, which was the disagreement over whether or not they should eat before the speakers were done. Having been around the block myself a few times, and watching so many issues "develop" in the eyes of the media, I've learned not to trust one d*&@ thing broadcasted or printed by the media, especially The Record.  No doubt there's a lot more to the story than the angle reported in the newspaper.

But I do agree with one thing --- the homeless were hungry and THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN ALLOWED TO EAT. Come on, let the poor people eat, that's why they came.  They came to eat, not to listen to the speakers. There's nothing wrong with eating while listening to a bunch of speakers pontificating.  It's pathetic that the the speakers were so vane that they insisted on 100% undivided attention.  90% attention to the speakers, and 10% attention to food, should have been fine enough.

Not sure what will happen with Robin's program, but I can't help but notice that the "homeless Taj Mahal" is nearing completion on South River Street.  Looks like a luxury hotel. 

Offline Hope Donnelly

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 30, 2008, 01:58:33 PM »
FAITH Fnd attracted no more than any other agency.  Does anyone get after the church associated with the food pantry?  Or On Our Own? Or even CAP?  Robin gets the people who CAP doesn't have a program for.  Yet, CAP's programs, when there is one, throw people into a dismal spiral that is difficult to get out of.  I'm hoping one guy in particular, a professional person who lost his job, lost his home, whose wife then left him, has no kids or parents, will write about his experience with CAP.  The Record loves the sensational stories.  They have been offered to write about the success stores that Robin has (well over 150) who LEFT Hackensack, but the Record doesn't write about them. 

It is interesting that this "blow-up" happened days after a CO was filed by the church for Robin.  This the same church that offered HER the space, and claimed they knew about her clientele for years and had followed the events of this past years when she finally closed.  Something's up with this (part-time) Pastor Ippolito, who has a full-time job not associated with the church.  There were too many people, caterer's assistants, volunteers from schools, and other agencies, that saw a lot of stuff that is not being reported in the Record.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 01, 2009, 02:56:10 PM »
Please, when the real story comes out about why the church changed their minds, please post it here.  I guess we agree that we don't expect the Record to print the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Happy New Years.  Keep those homeless WARM.

Offline nataliemcdonald

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 04, 2009, 02:15:41 PM »
Wow, this thread is heavy.  I once spoke to Robin Reilly a few years ago looking for some answers about the death of a deceased classmate. 

In November 2006, I came home from Massachusetts to attend my 30th high school reunion (HHS Class of 1976), and the one person I was really looking forward to seeing again was a guy named George Pjeternikaj.  I kept looking around the banquet room at the Saddle Brook Holiday Inn wondering if he'd show up, and then finally someone said "Shame about George, wasn't it?"  It turned out that George had died about three weeks before the reunion in a room at a boarding house near the FAITH Foundation.  A classmate on the police force gave me the impression that George had been struggling with homelessness and drug abuse and had died of exposure.  I'd read numerous online articles in The Record about homeless people dying that way in Hackensack, so I instantly had a mental picture of George's body being found by the river and it devastated me.

I just couldn't accept that, though; I'd had a crush on George when I was four years old and didn't want to believe he'd died that way.  So I started making inquiries at the funeral home and Holy Trinity Church.  On the way back to Massachusetts, my daughter and I also visited his grave in the Albanian section of a rather upscale cemetery in Westchester County.  The evidence certainly didn't seem like the death of a homeless man at all, and I wasn't going to quit until I got some answers.  This led me to the FAITH Foundation.

The first person who answered the phone said he knew George well, but hinted that there had been some problems with substance abuse.  It took me a while, but I finally got to speak with Robin Reilly personally.  What a relief it was to get the truth.  She said that the reason George was so well known in the homeless community was because, although he did have some issues, he wasn't one of her clients at all.  George actually been the FAITH Foundation's most tireless *volunteer* and she missed him terribly.  She said that George kept a rented room near the FAITH Foundation and would often bring people back to it to shower and change into fresh clothing. 

"I want people to know that George was NOT a bum!" Robin exclaimed repeatedly, though I found this an unusual choice of words for someone dealing with the homeless.  I had to agree, because it broke my heart that people were spreading derogatory rumors about someone whom I always thought was very special.  I was really angry with myself for not keeping in touch over the years.  I actually hadn't seen George since 1986, when we celebrated the grand opening of another classmate's pizzeria on Anderson Street (I think a Rite-Aid there now by the old Acme Market).  So I whipped out my checkbook and promptly made a donation to the FAITH Foundation.  It was enough money so that Robin could give George Pjeternikaj the memorial repast he deserved within the homeless community.  I believe she said the event would have about 60 attendees.  I also arranged for a memorial mass to be said at Holy Trinity Church on the anniversary of his death.  I found it curious that I never got a response from a single member of the Pjeternikaj family for these gestures of condolence.  Perhaps George's real "family" had become Hackensack's homeless, the people he had been helping in the final days of his life.

Learning now of Robin Reilly's struggle makes me especially sad.  Maybe there are some other former classmates from Holy Trinity, Hackensack Middle and Hackensack High School who might consider helping her efforts with a similar donation in honor of George Pjeternikaj and his efforts to help the homeless.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #163 on: January 10, 2009, 10:52:11 AM »
Today's Record:
Shelters getting $5.3 million
Thursday, January 8, 2009
BY JUSTO BAUTISTA
NorthJersey.com
STAFF WRITER

Sister Gloria Perez was filled with hope on Wednesday — hope that Eva's Kitchen in Paterson will be one of the beneficiaries of $5.3 million in federal grants to keep food and homeless shelter programs going in New Jersey during tough times.

"We would be thrilled and appreciative," said Sister Gloria, executive director of Eva's Village, one of the most comprehensive anti-poverty programs in the state. "But we have no idea how the money will be given out."

The kitchen serves 1,000 meals daily to the homeless.

The grant was announced Wednesday by Sens. Frank Lautenberg and Robert Menendez and is part of the Federal Emergency Management Agency's Emergency Food and Shelter Program. FEMA is part of the Department of Homeland Security.

More than $200 million will be distributed nationwide. The $5.3 million will be shared by 14 counties in New Jersey.

Passaic County will receive $380,536. Bergen County will get $498,227.

"We need to do all we can to combat homelessness," said Lautenberg, known for his visits to Eva's at Thanksgiving and Christmas.

"Families in our state have been devastated by lost jobs and lost homes," Menendez said.

Sister Gloria has been on the front lines. Eva's Kitchen holds 240, but there are usually 350 homeless at each meal, she said.

"Out of all the homeless, the saddest part is the young mothers with children," Sister Gloria said. "On Christmas, we sat 400 people at noon. … It's scary. Everybody is affected, but the poor just get poorer and poorer."

In Bergen County, Robin Reilly, executive director of FAITH Foundation, said her "client" list of homeless numbers around 250.

Her foundation does not accept public funds, but she praised any boost in aid for the homeless.

"It's all good," she said. "We do all right privately. … If you do God's work, the money comes."

Other agencies in Bergen County that provide shelter for the homeless include the Christ Church Community Development Corp., which runs Peter's Place, and the Bergen County Community Action Partnership, which provides meals and a "sit-up" shelter for the homeless.

E-mail: bautista@northjersey.com
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 07:10:10 PM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #164 on: January 25, 2009, 07:10:46 PM »
Project Homeless Connect
http://www.hackensackchronicle.com/NC/0/699.html

(by Edward Yi - January 25, 2009)
County initiative reaches out to homeless

As the weakened economy ravages the vaults of nonprofit organizations, Bergen County is doing what it can to provide for its homeless residents. On Jan. 28, the county’s Community Action Partnership will host Project Homeless Connect, a program designed to lend a helping hand, which includes free flu vaccinations and AIDS testing, to those forced to live on the streets.

Representatives from the Bergen County Department of Health, the Board of Social Services and Comprehensive Behavioral Healthcare will be on hand to discuss social security, welfare, housing, mental health, and veterans’ services. In addition, the Parisian Beauty Academy will provide free haircuts, and items such as coats, socks and hats will be distributed.

“It’s a good way to let people know what services the county can provide,” said Mabel Aragon, deputy director for the office of communications.

“If you go, you’ll see representatives from agencies with brochures and papers. They can give you vital information about services that the government can provide. There are also donations as well. At the least, PHC will educate and inform you of what is available for you.”

Project Homeless Connect began five years ago in San Francisco with only 278 volunteers. Today, approximately 100 cities participate with a PHC of their own. This year marks the third year of PHC in New Jersey.

In addition to helping the homeless, Bergen County also uses PHC for demographic purposes.

“For the last 10 to 11 years, HUD-mandated agencies were asked to do a homeless count. For the last three years, we used Project Homeless Connect to get more people. Homeless people hide, and we need to get a more accurate count,” said Alison DuBois, director of crisis services at the BCCAP.

“There are about 5,000 homeless county wide… With the way the economy has been going, that number is only going to increase.”

Bergen County also performs a survey every year to develop a rough estimate of how the number of homeless. According to Aragon, workers are sent to alleys and churches, places where the homeless usually reside, to find out how many homeless take refuge there. However, uncontrollable factors, such as the weather, can significantly lower the accuracy of such counts. Last year, only 941 adults were counted.

In addition, PHC also serves as a way to improve social services in the county. According to Aragon, it is a self-assessment of sorts as it provides an overview of what the county needs to do to further lessen poverty.

Residents may donate items for the PHC. The BCCAP requests gloves, hats, scarves, gently worn coats, socks, thermal underwear, monetary contributions, or gift cards in increments of $5 to food establishments. Donations can be dropped off at the BCCAP Drop-In Center, 67 Orchard St. in Hackensack. The BCCAP will take donations up to Jan. 26.

anything