General Category > Hackensack History

Hendrix at George's Club 20 (Hackensack)

(1/8) > >>

Editor:
I had known for a while that Jimi Hendrix had played in Hackensack but I was never sure where.  Eventually, someone sent me an email telling me that he played at "George's Club 20".  For about a year, no one could tell me where George's was.  Finally, I met someone who used to frequent Georges and he told me it was on the corner of Moore and Bridge Street near the Courthouse.   I was absolutely floored when someone from the UK saw this information on my triva page and eventually sent me the following photos of Jimi actually playing at George's.  Amazing. 

Hendrix also did an album called Hackensack Blues, although I'm not sure exactly where it was recorded:

Click here for more information

BLeafe:
Jimi Hendrix/George's Club 20

Hendrix did indeed play at George's Club 20 and the location given is accurate (address: 20 Bridge St). At the time, he was playing guitar with King Curtis and the date is probably in the last week of 1965 or possibly the first week in 1966. I have a CD-R of the show, and I've heard that there is apparently a longer one available.

"Hackensack Blues" album

The Hackensack Blues album is a Canadian product that has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with Hackensack, aside from possibly being named because of Jimi's friendship with George. I have 2 copies of that album. It doesn't say where it was recorded, though it shows a picture supposedly of Hendrix in a NY studio for "first mix".

Editor:

This record album is EARLY JIMI HENDRIX. It is on the BARON label of Melrose Mass. It is record #105. Hendrix plays: DRIVING SOUTH, I'M A MAN, ON THE KILLIN' FLOOR, CALIFORNIA NIGHT, AIN'T THAT PECULIAR, WHAT'D I SAY AND BRIGHT LIGHTS BIG CITY. The jacket states: "recorded live by Ed Chalpin at George's Club 20 in Hackensack New Jersey during a performance by Jimi Hendrix and Curtis Knight in 1965".

Thanks to Bob Leafe for this info.  I put a bid on this on ebay.  If I can get the album, I try to upload some sound clips.  

BLeafe:
There are sooooo many variations of this show out there on LP and CD. I don't think I've seen this particular 7-song LP before. My CD-R has 10 songs, but only 4 match with this LP. I think I once saw a 20-song version somewhere.

I just listened to the first cut ("Drivin' South"). Jimi is introduced as "Jimmy James" - the name he went by back then, but there's no mistaking that voice when you hear it (BTW - he had a band in 1966 called "Jimmy James and the Blue Flames").

During that introduction, he's asked, "What are you gonna do, Jimmy, on this Christmas plus one?", so that should confirm the performance date of December 26, 1965.

Too bad I didn't cruise a block off Main St. that night.

If you don't win the album, Editor, you can copy mine if you want.

Editor:
I got it.

Jimi Hendrix and Curtis Knight: 12/26/65 in Hackensack:

Click here to listen to the first few moments of the album.

This is an .mp3 file and will open in Windows Media Player.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version