Author Topic: W.T. Grant, Kresge & Woolworths  (Read 21985 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
W.T. Grant, Kresge & Woolworths
« on: January 02, 2006, 11:09:57 PM »

I'm curious as to where this store was located. Main Street?  If anyone knows, please email me: editor@hackensacknow.com or follow up with a post.

WT Grant Co. has a prestigous history.  The following is excerpted from the WT Grant Foundation site:

William Thomas Grant had a dream to own his own store. At 30, Mr. Grant opened his first "W. T. Grant Co. 25 Cent Store" in Lynn, Massachusetts, with $1,000 he had saved from his work as a salesman. By the time Mr. Grant passed away in 1972, at age 96, his nationwide empire of WT Grant Stores had grown to almost 1,200. Mr. Grant was a born salesman with a will to succeed. At age 7, he began his sales career by selling flower seeds. Years later, when he began shaping his own philosophy of chain merchandising, Mr. Grant discovered that he wanted to sell people what they needed at prices they could afford, with only a modest profit. This modest profit, coupled with a fast turnover of inventory, caused Mr. Grant's business to grow to almost $100 million a year in sales by 1936, the year he started the Grant Foundation. His concern for a fair deal won him much respect from his customers, who always came first in Mr. Grant's opinion. Mr. Grant, as a philanthropist in the truest sense of the word, was concerned for all people and for the world.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 10:37:53 AM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: W.T. Grant Store (1938) Photo
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 09:57:46 AM »
Someone emailed me and told me that the old Grant building is the large, light colored building at 131 main Street which is just to the south of the walkway between Main street and the Atlantic street Parking Garage.  I'll find out what that is now.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: W.T. Grant Store & Kresge Stores
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 04:36:57 PM »
Incidentally, another five & dime store on on Main Street was "Kresge".  For a while, Relic Records (Chiller Theater) occupied the site.  It's now being renovated but I'm not sure what's going in there.  They are keeping the sign "Kresge" on the building. 

Kresge is the "K" in Kmart!  Click here for the store's history.

I think it's amazing how so many national chains got their start on Main Street, USA - Hackensack. 

Offline Hope Donnelly

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Re: W.T. Grant Co. & Kresge stores
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 07:10:08 PM »
I love this stuff!   W.T. Grant's was one of my favorite places to go with Mom.   We went to the one in Wyckoff.   I still remember going to Santa who seemed to be situated in a closet.  He was there every day, all day, from Thanksgiving until Christmas Eve.  I recall going to either Two Guys or Corvettes on Essex Street.   I'm not sure if their actual location was Lodi, Hackensack or Maywood, however.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
W.T. Grant, Kresge & Woolworth stores
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 09:43:20 PM »
A woman who now lives in NY emailed this to me for posting:

I just wanted to tell you what I remembered about Grants.  I was pretty small.  It was south of Woolworths and had no air conditioning in the summer.  I remember it mostly from the early 60's.  I remember creaky wood floors  and giant fans trying to cool you off in the summer.  My grandmother had been going in there since the 30's, I guess, so she was the one who usually took us in there.  My mother did, too.  But she usually liked Woolworths.  Woolworths was "air cooled". 

Woolworths had a snack counter on the right side as you walked in, and a full Restaurant along the entire left wall.  That was the smell that hit you when you walked in the door.  Bacon in the morning and burgers and hot dogs at lunch time.  Terrazzo floors, not wood and a basement that held housewares.  As you walked into the store there were three counters that enclosed your salesperson or people.  From the left, it was the candy counter with its big silver scoops, that could dig into chocolate kisses, gumdrops, Brachs chocolate covered raisins or many other selections to be weighed for your pleasure.  The middle counter was for cosmetics.  And the counter to the right was for jewelry.  As you delved deeper into the store you would discover drugstore items, sewing needs, and against the right wall, a record department. towards the back were a pet department, the stairway to the household items, and all the other departments.  At the very back of the store was the garden department leading to a back entrance. 

When I was a teenager I worked there, and discovered all the "behind the scenes" passageways.  Upstairs was a cavernous kitchen that cooked many a meal in its day.  Down in the basement was a place for all the backstock, and little section for Dottie, the lovely, sweet lady who had been making the holiday specialty items for many, many years.  Centerpieces and christmas ornaments,  Thanksgiving horn of plentys, and spooky halloween things.  I worked with several older ladies who had been there since their youth. 

My favorite thing from my childhood, in the front of the store, was a precursor to video games, a seat with a steering wheel and a T.V. screen in front of you.  You drove and in black and white, you went down a road thru traffic and eventually had to avoid some poor woman holding groceries who was crossing the street.  My sister always carefully avoided her, but my first time, after begging my mother and grandmother to let me try it, (I was 4)  I hit the lady and she went flying thru the air.  My mother and grandmother told me the police would have to arrest me now, and unfortunately as we left the store a poor unsuspecting Hackensack police officer saw me screaming and hiding behind my grandmother's legs.  He stopped and after explanations, shook my hand and told me to be more careful next time.

I wish some one would write a Hackensack book, about its history with photos, as other towns have. It has so much more importance than most other Bergen county towns, it was a shopping hub for not only Bergen, but also Rockland county.  I lived on Johnson Ave. for two years when I was young, but Hackensack will always be with me.  My Grandparents raised their children mostly in Ridgefield Park, right across the river and my parents lived in Hackensack when they were first married and were married there in the First Baptist Church.  My older sister and I were born in Hackensack Hospital.

We spent many a weekend in a little amusement park called Kiddieland on the line of River Edge.  We had ice cream at a beautiful old fashioned parlor called Pfeiffers.  We saw Santa Claus at Packards and ate at the little luncheonette (behind the escalator) at Sears after a long morning of shopping.  My sister got her first shoes at Kate Shoes.  We shopped for books on the different levels of Womraths.  My parents cashed in their Plaid stamps at the Plaid stamp store on lower Main street.  We saw movies at the Fox and the Oritani.  We picked out children's furniture and toys at the "Pride" store on upper main street.  My father bought warm stuff at Prozys.  My grandmother bought lingerie wrapped in tissue paper and boxed at Arnold Constables. 

Unlike the malls now, we peered at window displays. and on cold nights we yearned for my parents to pause at a window display and decide to go into a warm store.  You could walk along and see furniture, Elegantly-gowned mannequins, toys, and one of my favorites, two little dutch knick-knack people who whirled around and kissed each other.  Window -shopping is just a term now, not a reality.

If anyone writes a book, please list it on your web site.  Your web site is great and it's all we have.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 07:45:29 PM by Editor »

Offline midniteangel

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
    • RAINBOWWAVES
These are the stores i remember on Main street.
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 03:38:05 AM »
Red's Italian store, and right next door was a soda fountain store, i can't remember the name..Marcus Jewelry, Army Navy store, Graysons Furniture store, Modern bakery , Sonnys Lunchonette, The Five and ten cent store, A&P, The Dairy Maid, Record King, Relic Rack, Arnold Constables, Johns Bargain Store, Grants, Woolworths, The Riviera Tavern, The Wagon Wheel, Ace Hardware, Whelans (where everyone hung out) Womwraths, Lerners...   There were so many more really great stores..I went to a dance studio that i think was called Star dance studio. All the side streets also had great shops..I used to go to a wonderful candy store called Jacks. Oh and B&W Bakery and The Dairy Queen. I adored Pacards and have a great picture of me sitting on Santa's lap. Main street was the place to be. It had everything. I loved going to the bus station to go to Palisades Park, the best place ever. My Aunt and my stepmother were telephone operators at the Telephone company on State St.
Honesty is like a breath of fresh air!

Offline semafore

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Re: W.T. Grant, Kresge & Woolworths
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 08:36:36 PM »
Ah Kiddieland!
Until I read the comments on 5 and 10 cent stores, I hadn’t thought about Kiddieland for years. It was located on the southeast side of  the intersection of Main Street and Hackensack Avenue on the border with River Edge (The streets have been “rearranged” since then and it appears on recent maps to be where the extension or Grand Ave meets Main Street) When I was 13 in the summer of 1953, a year before I could get “working papers” that allowed me to work legally, my mother learned that the owner of Kiddieland “hired” young boys to lead ponies around a pony track. Since one of her friends had a son my age working there, she told me to go up there and see “if they were hiring” rather than to “laze around the house all summer” (my older brother had been working the past two summers at Maplecrest Beach “mudhole”). Although the pay wasn’t regulated by anything like minimum wage and it was always a mystery what we would get paid (depending on the “gate”), which was never very much, I remember it as one of the most fun summers I ever had. Not only were we expected to lead little kids around a dusty track on ponies but actually take care of the ponies…feed, water, curry, exercise during the day ;D ;D ;D ;D. We got there early in the morning and stayed until closing, so it filled my summer. Since there were a band of us boys with piles of straw to wrestle in, ponies to ride and little or no supervision, it was a great experience (imagine an employer taking that risk today!). That was the summer when 3D comic books and 3D movies came out, so much of our modest income was spent on those. On rainy days we would go en mass to the movies and no one would sit near us since we smelled of horses.  The other memory seared into my brain was the seriousness the owner showed when he pointed to the image of FDR on a dime and intoned “ he was one of the greatest man to ever live”

Offline Top of the Hill

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Re: W.T. Grant, Kresge & Woolworths
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 05:45:24 PM »
Though it called itself a department store, I always considered M H Lamston a five and dime. It was located on Main between Berry and Camden. It was my first real job. A step up from mowing lawns and delivering papers. I was 15 when I was hired, nobody ever asked my age. I did not have to provide documentation. Boy how times have changed. I worked in the luncheonette after school and on Saturdays. The luncheonette was run by an older couple (the Clareys?) and mister Clarey was meticulous about a "griddle press?" that he cooked grilled cheese sandwiches on. That thing had to be kept spotless. He left at 5 and it would be our job to clean up after closing. He would inspect it in the morning and if it wasn't up to his standards, boy would you hear about it. I remember a time he and his wife were on vacation for 2 weeks.... well you can guess what happened. That griddle got a light wipe down after each day. When he came back he was furious. I heard he spent the whole day cleaning that thing... practically had to use a chisel. There was at least 4 or 5 of us that were responsible for it, so nobody got fired. I remember I hired on in early November. They gave out Christmas bonuses based on time of employment. I received a nice card and a check for $1.10. I appreciated the card and thought it very humorous that they even bothered to give me a bonus.