Author Topic: Unidentified Church (Identified)  (Read 9233 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Unidentified Church (Identified)
« on: January 27, 2006, 04:58:31 PM »

Someone sent this to me.  I don't know where this church is/was.  Does anyone?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 05:13:07 PM by Editor »

MIKE

Re: Unidentified Church
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 05:09:45 PM »
POSSIBLY MT. OLIVE BAPTIST CHURCH AT FIRST ST. & BERDAN PL.

Offline irons35

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 10:34:03 PM »
i think it is the church that was at the corner of Berry and State St.  it was torn down in the 50's, and is now the parking lot behind Cowans.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 08:48:41 AM »
Bob Leafe just found a postcard which identifies the church, answering a question I posted 4 years ago.

In "Historic Facts about Hackensack" George Scudder writes:

Christian Reformed Church
In 1888, Christian Reformed Church was erected on State Street just south of the
Armory, opposite Bordens. It was known as the "Clock Church, having large clocks in
the steeple. This church merged with the Presbyterian Church of Maywood in 1933. A
group of ladies from this church started the Old Ladies Home in 1895. The Unitarians
used Odd Fellows Hall for services in 1898 and later had their own church on Park Street,
just north of Central Avenue. It is no longer there and I understand they moved to
Pararnus.

Here's an 1897 NYT's article that mentions the Church.

Mystery solved.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 08:59:07 AM by Editor »

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
Re: Unidentified Church (Identified)
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 08:04:17 PM »
That is quite interesting; but, if you want to know about something even more interesting in the same neighborhood, go about a block further south on State Street to the old Masonic Temple between Atlantic and Warren Streets. Unfortunately this building has been boarded up for quite some time.
 Ol' Homer is not a Mason; but, was given a tour of the building about thirty years ago. When I walked outside I shook my head in utter amazement. Dan Brown's latest book THE LOST SYMBOL is based substantially upon Freemasonry and the interior of this building is/ was right out of The Knights of the Roundtable.  It might be enlightening if our City Historian could round up some old photos of the interior if they exist.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 12:26:54 PM »
I replied to this topic in a new subject: Masonic Temple (State and Warren)

Offline Chief Oratam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 11:17:48 AM »

Does anyone remember a severly overgrown Church on the corner of Union and Central or Park and Central during the 60's and early 70's it was called The Church Insects......???

I'm not kidding.....I walked past it everyday for many years in that time frame....I was always intriqued but I guess not enough to go in....and it was so overgrown it was scary

anything