General Category > Hackensack History

Packards Memories/Pictures I found in City Hall Basement

(1/4) > >>

Editor:
Note: Two prior topics were merged to form this one.

We're working on a project to exhibit some old photographs at City Hall.  We found these in the basement:

Holy Trinity

Fire Truck

Temple Avenue

Sears & Roebuck

Packards

Stay tuned for more images.

Anderson:
Nice Pics ;D

Kathleen Gough:
I really enjoyed those pictures! I remember Sears when it had nice display windows, until some idiot got the idea to cement them in! I don't remember as far back as the awnings, but they add a classy touch!
     As for my church, Holy Trinity it looks the same from the outside, but it used to be majestic inside. Now it's, I believe the word is. minimalist! (in my opinion, tasteless!}
     I used to live on the same block as Packard's when I was a kid, and I have some terriffic memories of playing on the escalator, till we got told not to do that. I remeber going all the way back on the 2nd floor and there was a post office there, where I think the stamps were 3 cents! I'm really dating myself now! The very best part of packards was the 3rd floor toy department. They always had a viewfinder at the counter that you could look into--- I thought that was magic! At Christmas time they had a great train set up, and Santa would give you a toy and a lollipop! My friend and I used to go sit on his lap, and then come back later after he was finished "feeding the reindeer!" We thought we were so clever, but I don't think we fooled anyone!
     Once when I was about 4 or 5, they had Howdy Doody, Buffalo Bob, and Clarabelle(honk, honk) the Clown set up outside on a stage near the rr track. My mom made me go up and sing "Yankee Doodle"--- I was so shy, I thought I was going to die, but I managed to make it throught the whole song. I still blush when I think of that!
     The other thing I loved about Packard's was The Print Room. when I was in kindergarden at Fairmount School and my dad was on the election board, he would always take me to lunch there for my favorite meal-- a hamburgerand a coke! I felt like I was an only child, for just a little while.
     One year they had a coloring contest there. I was about 6 and my youngest sister,3 so I entered for her. Well, the joke was on me! She won a pair of roller skates with the key and I won a lesser prize, a box of colored pencils! In the winter, the plows at Packard's always plowed all the snow up to the back of the B&W and all along that wall. That was back when we had a lot of snow and I remember sliding down those snow hills and even building igloos in them.
     That's enough nostalgia for one night, but I sure do miss Packard's, my big playhouse!

just me:
The picture of the fire engine is a 1938 Ahrens Fox which is now owned by the Maywood Fire Department.  

Editor:
I'll be uploading more images from City Hall soon.  I'll place them in the message boards for a while and then move them to the Historical Images page where you can find 100+ images of historic Hackensack.

Click for more Historical Images.

I really appreciate everyone's comments.  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version