Author Topic: Historical Question about apartment building  (Read 7904 times)

Jensfog

Historical Question about apartment building
« on: April 16, 2006, 03:46:46 PM »
I'm very curious to find out the history of the building in which I live. I've heard it was buit circa 1920. Currently, a 4 story brick condo building on Hamilton Place. Information on it states that it is lot 20 on map entitled "Property of the Hackensack Land Company, Hackensack NJ" filed Feb 6, 1904 on map no. 928. Anyone have any idea how I could find this information?

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Historical Question about apartment building
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 12:05:20 PM »
What's the address? Also, when you say "Information on it states...", what information are you referring to?

Maps at City Hall only go up to number 25 or so.  Map number "928" must have been an older system.

What information are you looking for in particular?

I found a book online by the Hackensack Land Company: http://www.biblio.com/books/30852000.html 

Might be some clues in there.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 12:17:32 PM by Editor »

Offline Jensfog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 07:32:26 PM »
Thank you so much for your reply. I may purchase the book. The address of my building is 303 Hamilton Place. The information I cited before was written in the co-op paperwork in 1986 when the building was a co-op. It is currently condos. "928" is an older system from 1904 according the co-op documents. From maps I've seen, the building was not in existence in 1896. I do not have an exact date when it was built. The co-op and condo documents state circa 1920.  Also, just today, I took a peak underneath our awning and found another clue...carved into the stone over our double door entry is the word "Riviera." I'm going to try to do some internet searches to see if anything comes up.

Our building seems to have a number of features I rarely see in other apartment buildings either for early 1900s or more recent buildings, particularly: foyers, sizable kitchens and rooms, tall ceilings, dumbwaiters (not currently working). My kitchen also has a very interesting type of metal cabinet built into the wall under the window...seems like some specialty storage cabinet.  Also, behind the fridge is an opening for drainage for what I assume to be the old iceboxes.

I'd like to know more about the architect, when and why the building was built, as well as who lived here.  I'm really not sure where to begin. I greatly appreciate your help and advice.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 07:23:37 AM by Jensfog »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 12:39:26 PM »
According to records in the Tax Assessor's office, the building was built in 1929, converted to condos in 2000.  Unfortunately, there's no information on the architect or the building's occupants. 

I'll let you know if I find anything else.

ericmartindale

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 10:15:53 PM »
Map No. 928 probably refers to the record system at the County offices.  There's a plethera of information at the County offices (tax office?), not sure if it was moved to the new County building or not. Just go to the County complex and ask where the Deed books and property records are stored.  Just about anyone there will tell you, a lot of people visit that office.  I'm sure you'll be in the right room within 5 minutes, and there are honeys working there to help you search for information.

But first, have the lot and block with you (the Hackensack tax assessors office, 2nd floor at 65 Central Ave will have the lot and block), that's the easy part.

Offline Jensfog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 08:35:10 AM »
Editor and ericmartindale,

Thank you so much for your help and advice. As soon as I have a little time off from work I will certainly go down to the County Offices to do a little research. Thanks again for all your help!

anything