Author Topic: Light Pollution (Photos)  (Read 10076 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Light Pollution (Photos)
« on: February 24, 2006, 04:27:06 PM »
Light Pollution: Hackensack, NJ
February 24, 2006
By Bob Leafe
(See pictures below)
Introduction
Whenever there's a rare nocturnal celestial event, The Record will, invariably, write an editorial about the loss of the night sky and how we have to go a hundred miles into the country to have any chance of viewing a comet or some unusual planetary alignment because of all the light pollution in this area.

After the event, however, nothing changes, so you can be sure the same editorial will continue to be published, year in and year out.

What exactly IS the problem? How can we identify it - let alone fix it - so that our grandchildren won't have to drive to Ogden, Utah, just to see a shooting star?

I think I may have found a major, previously-unsuspected and unaddressed source of light pollution that not only affects me where I live in Hackensack, but can be found all over the city and, in fact, all over the country.

And the fix is surprisingly simple.

First, some background. There are some cities in the US that have light control ordinances - not Hackensack, unfortunately. The common theme in virtually all of these ordinances is a sensible one: no light from any outdoor installation is to be visible above the lighting element's plane.

This means that if you install an outdoor light at a second-story level, there is no reason for ANY light from that installation to be seen ABOVE that second-story level. Common sense, right?

If you haven't already guessed the sky-polluting culprit, it is almost every single angled "security light" in existence! You see them everywhere - mostly used by businesses to light up their property/parking lots.

These lights are commonly installed at a second-story level and are actually aimed downward at about a 45-degree angle, usually by your local electrical company..........PSE&G, in Hackensack's case.

So how can lights pointed downward light up the sky? It's not possible, you say? It IS possible and that's why no one ever suspects these lights as being a sky problem.

I'm qualified to make that judgment. I live in a separate rooftop apartment atop a 6-story building, meaning that I'm 7 floors up - WAY beyond the reach of the beam of any second story security light aimed downward.............or so you'd think.

I'm also a professional photographer who knows how to shoot at night. Some people may complain about similar light problems, but few can properly document them photographically at night.

What I've found is that each of these boxes that contains the lighting element have totally-mirrored internal surfaces - behind, above, below, and to the sides of the element. If ANY part of those mirrored surfaces is visible above a second-story level, it is the same as if the element was visible and just as bright. If you can see that brightness, you're in the beam of that light.

My seventh-floor living room, which should be totally dark at night, is lit up by multiple second-story, downward-tilted security lights from as near as the next block to as far as a half-mile away. Because my unit sits by itself on the roof, every room in my apartment gets bombarded nightly.

I've stood on my unit's roof - 8 floors up - and have been able to see these lights. That means that all that light is going past me at a somewhat upward angle and into space because there's nothing else to stop it.

I'm able to better observe the problem because up here at night, it's still much darker than what exists at street level. When there is a slight fog, I can see exactly the amount of coverage each security light's beam actually throws out. It's rather astounding, as you'll see in the photos below.

Naturally, the pictures and descriptions are of MY particular situation, but you can rest assured that many people residing above the third floor in any urban area have the same problem. If you DO, please respond with YOUR comments/particulars.

Maybe then someone at PSE&G will wake up and actually test where their beams go instead of simply doing a daytime installation and then leaving, unaware of the problem they cause at night, and then insisting that all installations are "in compliance" when someone complains.

Initially, I thought it would be a simple matter to personally inform the property owners about their light-trespass. There was no way for them to be aware of the problem if no one told them, right? And then they would just re-aim their lights and all would be fine.

That was the case in only a few rare instances. Surprisingly, other property owners acted as if they were being accused of a major felony and refused to lift a finger to correct the situation - even after being shown photographic proof!

The following photographs (except one) were taken from 7 floors up - a fact that I will continually remind you of in the descriptions.

Image 1

Historically, car dealerships, for some reason, are the worst light polluters around. This photo was taken from my living room of All Brands Auto Sales (400 River St) - one of the worst violators around and pretty unfriendly to boot.

If they only want to light up their lot, then why are the TREETOPS  fully-illuminated by their downward-facing security lights? Other pictures below will show the astounding width/height of their mini-sun of a lighting system.

When I was able to finally get someone in authority on the phone, I was told, "We've lit this way for 50 years without a complaint!"

All that tells me is that their lighting technology is a half-century behind the times.

By the way - that brightest light on the back left corner of the building comes on between 12:20 and 12:30 am EST for some reason and casts extremely bright light on my living room walls 3 blocks away.

Image 2

These 2 blazing lights also belong to All Brands Auto Sales. There is no reason for their lights to illuminate anything other than their lot. They shouldn't even light up the ground across the street, yet here they light up the smoke coming out of the chimney on the top of the apartment building on the Corner of Main and E. Ward - only a short block away!

Image 3

Image 3 was also taken from my 7th-floor living room. The apartment  building is on the southwest corner of Main and Anderson (Sears is on the northeast corner and is partially visible behind it). The smaller, house-like structure in front of the apartment building belongs to Internal Medicine Associates of Bergen County at 15 Anderson.

These people installed 2 security lights on opposite sides of their little lot. You can see the one on the right, which shines very brightly on my living room wall.

The light on the left faces the apartment building and illuminates the entire side wall...and a lot more, which you'll see in the following picture.

When shown this photograph, these caring medical practitioners acted as if I had accused them of some incredibly horrible act, ignored my request, and did absolutely nothing.

Image 4

This wide-angle photo is slightly over-exposed to show all the detail. You should be able to locate (going from left to right) the Sears tower on the left, the well-lit wall of the small apartment building catty-corner to Sears at Main and Anderson, the taller apartment building at 417 Main, the bevy of bright lights emanating from All Brands Auto Sales, and, to the right of center, the YMCA with its lit side wall.

Let's begin with that small apartment building, whose wall is lit up by its next-door "neighbor" - Internal Medicine Associates of Bergen County at 15 Anderson. The lights from this little postage stamp of a lot also illuminate the entire back of the apartment building at 417 Main!

But the gold medal once again goes to All Brands Auto Sales, whose downward-pointing security lights have managed to light up the side of the Sears tower(!), the right side (and probably the non-visible front side) of 417 Main, my living room, the left side of the YMCA, and - believe it or not (and not shown here) - the east side of the NINE-STORY-TALL white steeple of the First Presbyterian Church on the corner of Union and Passaic, which is at least 4 blocks away!

That means that All Brands' beam, which is not supposed to reach the ground across the street from them, is MUCH wider and taller than the 3 blocks wide and 9 floors high that I'm able to illustrate here!! And, being on the river bank, All Brands is on somewhat lower ground to begin with.

Remember - this is just from MY perspective. Lots of other people/places are affected by this same auto dealership.

Image 5

This is my 7th-floor living room wall at 1am, courtesy of Internal Medicine Associates of Bergen County (orange light and one block away) and All Brands Auto Sales (white light and 3 blocks away).

The camera on the tripod (left of center) casts a very strong and slightly higher shadow (right of center), showing the upward direction of the beam.

Part 2 continues below below (scroll down)...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 03:59:29 PM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Light Pollution
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 04:43:08 PM »
Image 6

I took this photo a couple of years ago. My living room picture window has 3 glass components, separated by 2 vertical bars. If ONE light shines through that window from outside, 2 bar shadows show up on the walls/ceiling.

Each light here has a different shade to it and comes in from various angles from all the mis-aimed lights in my little corner of Hackensack. Looking at this, it's hard to discern exactly how many intrusive lights were invading my living room.

Image 7

This particular light has been a thorn in my side - or rather, my EYES since at least 1994. I can understand car dealership owners not being well-versed in the problem of light pollution, but you'd think that a place like the Hackensack Board of Education would know better - ESPECIALLY after they received photos AND videos from me! Bright people should know what to do about bright lights.

When I got no initial response way back when, I sent a letter and photo to then-City Manager James Lacava. The photo, letter, and video bounced around city government over the course of about 4 years.

The result? A dozen years after my initial complaint, that light still shines brightly in my living room and both of my bedrooms (this slightly-overexposed photo was taken from one of my bedroom windows).

And if it's THIS bright a block-and-a-half away and 7 floors up, I can't imagine what it must be like for the tenants of 40 Passaic St, which is directly across the street from this little lot of fewer than 25 spaces.

Why can't they install the light on the other end of their lot and aimed inward toward the school? Why must WE be the "beneficiaries" of all this brilliance? (referring to the light, not the BoE)

Image 8

So I'm standing by my kitchen sink one drizzly night, and this is what I saw. This is from ONE security light for the Gutterman-Musicant funeral home on the corner of Park and Passaic. This light on Park St, installed at a 2nd-story level, is on the southwest corner of that intersection and faces east toward the funeral home. Like every other security light, it is aimed downward, yet here it is invading my 7th-floor kitchen and shining brightly on its wall, almost 2 blocks away.

I brought photos to Gutterman-Musicant a few years ago and they assured me that they would contact PSE&G to correct the situation, but they never bothered.

By the way, they just built a parking lot across Park St from the funeral home and lit that up with a series of unshielded, old-time-looking, big bulbous lamps that now light up everything around them from the ground to the sky.

By the way, these are the same type of not-well-thought-out lights now used in Anderson Park, which light up the entire front sides of every apartment building and church surrounding it.

When the First Presbyterian Church on the corner of Passaic and Union turns its steeple lights off late at night, from my vantage point I can see one side of it has a slightly orange tint and the other side has a stronger bluish-white one, courtesy of Anderson Park (a block away) and All Brands Auto Sales (4 blocks away), respectively.

Remember, that steeple reaches 9 floors up.

Image 9

This is that same downward-facing security light at Park and Passaic for the Gutterman-Musicant Funeral Home (which is visible in the lower left corner), shooting up through the trees in winter - again, taken from 7 floors up and nearly 2 blocks away.

Given the angle of the light's upward beam and knowing that the installation was done at 45-degrees downward, I've guesstimated that the entire angle of coverage from one of these lights may be as high as 135 degrees!

This means that if the light box faced straight downward - parallel to the ground - it would still be more than enough to cover the properties they are meant to illuminate (take note, All Brands Auto Sales).

And if they WERE placed facing straight down, they could not be visible above the plane of their 2nd-story installation, which would put them in compliance with almost every light control ordinance extant.

Or, better yet, they all should be replaced by the shoebox type of light that is never visible above its plane. These can be found in the parking lot of Target and in the Rite Aid lot on Anderson St.

The same holds true for street lights and every other type of outdoor light. On Main St, some street lights show bright light from my perspective, but some don't. Maybe they're slowly replacing the polluting ones with better ones.

Overall, I CAN see literally hundreds of lights from here that I shouldn't be able to.

Image 10

This was almost comical to see. This is that same Gutterman-Musicant security light - this time in summer - shooting up through holes in the tree's canopy on a semi-foggy night.

How can PSE&G NOT know where the light from their own security lights goes?

Oh, I forgot..........they're "in compliance".

Image 11

In this image, the Gutterman-Musicant light, just to the right of center, is joined by 2 security lights belonging to the First Baptist Church.

Break out the sunglasses!

Image 12

This is the only photo in this series NOT shot from 7 floors up. This was taken about 4 years ago from the corner of Maple and Pangborn at Holy Trinity School, facing Anderson St.........and one of the blazing security lights belonging to the First Baptist Church.

Remember, this light is only supposed to be illuminating their lot - 2 blocks away from where I'm standing. This light also lights up the entire south side of the apartment building at 5 Pangborn Place - something I can see from my apartment.

Image 13

Back to 7 floors up. This overexposed photo shows the Holy Trinity convent in the lower right and an apartment building on Anderson St on the corner of Pangborn Place across the street from the convent.

There is a bright light installed on a pole, for the VERY small parking lot of the first store on the north side of the commercial strip, but look where it shines on the apartments! Those poor people!

If that isn't bad enough, some unidentified property (above the convent) that seems to be on Maple Ave, also has no clue where its light's beam is going. It's this uncontrolled type of lighting situation that Hackensack needs to address...quickly and thoroughly.

A couple of years ago, I met with then-deputy mayor Jesus Galvis to inform him of the problem and he said he was shocked - that he had no idea that this problem existed!

He recommended I speak with the then-head of the city's Environmental Commission. I went to that man's house and showed him the pictures. He asked me to go online and find some examples of light control ordinances and email them to him.

I did......and then nothing happened. I called him and asked why. He said he was too busy with his business, but then said he wanted me to send him New Jersey-only light control ordinances.

I did the research and sent it to him.........again, no reply. I called once more and got the same "too busy" response - he did nothing.

I take that back.......he DID do something. He redesigned Anderson Park with its polluting lights that bathe the surrounding buildings (and the sky) with lots of unwanted light - just to light up some park benches.

NOT what you'd expect from a supposed environmentalist!

Image 14

These are the lights from - what else? - car dealerships along northern River St that are 5-6 blocks away, yet cast shadows on the walls of my stand-alone rooftop apartment 7 floors up.

I'd like just ONE of them to explain why it's necessary to light up SO much, SO far away for their little lots. Not only is it over-polluting the sky, but it costs them extra money!

Sure - their lots are lit, but if they were able to only use the one-tenth of the light that actually hits their property and eliminate the rest, their electricity bills would decrease, they'd eliminate the over-the-top light pollution they seem to think they have the right to generate, and best of all, I could actually have a dark living room at 1am in a place where outside lights should never reach.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 04:48:30 PM by Editor »

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
Re: Light Pollution
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 10:39:31 AM »
<< If you think about it, the only reason you SEE anything is because light is hitting an object, and some of that light is bouncing from that object directly into the iris of your eye. >>

Reflected light has nothing to do with the situation I described. I'm not talking about any light bouncing off anything else - that's a whole 'nother problem.

I thought the pictures made it abundantly clear that this is about light coming DIRECTLY from the source. I can SEE the inside of the light boxes. The first thing that these lights hit is my eye - not the ground or cars or anything else. Reflected light certainly adds to light pollution, but, in that case,  I would not be in the direct beam as I am now.

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Light Pollution
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 08:21:38 PM »
For those who may not have seen them yet:

Orion Constellation

New Jersey Astronomical Association
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 04:15:52 PM by Editor »

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
Re: Light Pollution (Photos)
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 12:05:34 PM »
Thank you for your information.

One thing I didn't write about was the fact that I DID contact PSE&G a few years ago. They were shown many of the pictures I showed in my original post here. Some of their people came up here one evening to see for themselves and eventually adjusted one or two lights.

Many of the other offending lights were on private property and PSE&G said that meant they would have to be contacted by those property owners initially to get anything done. That's when I encountered the in-person problems with those property owners, who never bothered to contact PSE&G, so nothing got done.

A few weeks later, PSE&G readjusted one of the "corrected" ones so that I now can see the light again. They insisted that all were "in compliance".

When they were here, PSE&G also noticed that my block had no streetlight, said, "we'll get right on that".........and never did that either, so you can guess that my faith in PSE&G is not real high at the moment.

I did not contact NJBPU at the time, so that information is most welcome. Thanks again.
Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness