General Category > Hackensack Discussion

School Uniforms for Public Schools

(1/2) > >>

Editor:
School uniforms are now legal for public schools.  Should they be imposed by the Hackensack School System?  Is this a violation of free speech?  Share your thoughts. 

You must register to vote.  This is to prevent multiple votes by one person. Register here for free.

Article against uniforms: School Uniforms: A Threat To Individuality And Freedom

Article for uniforms: Uniforms could improve city's public education

Anthony:
Not a good idea.  Too many people would claim they couldn't afford them, and then what? 

itsme:
The kids today want the sneakers that cost a fortune and name brand jeans, etc.  It would be cheaper to buy two or three uniforms and a pair of shoes.  The cost of a pair of Jordans or Iversons would cost more.  It would also eliminate peer pressure with regard to what is the latest fashion.  Everyone would have the same clothing.

ericmartindale:
This shouldn't be an either/or choice.

I don't like the current dress codes, but with uniforms, too many kids would rebel against it, and wind up hating school.

Instead, I would favor much tighter restrictions on the current dress code. For example, something comparable to "business casual", but forkids. I would say no to T-shirts, but any shirt with a collar would be fine.  No jeans, but dockers or slacks would be fine.

This way a MUCH higher standard would be set, but there's still plenty of room for individuality.

itsme:
I think that is a fair suggestion.  However, what would you recommend for girls?  I know that they can wear pants but what if they chose to wear a dress or skirt?  What skirt length? Where should the shirt cut off?  Should it be below the waist or above  the waist, etc?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version