Author Topic: HIGH-RISES allowed all over Hackensack !!!  (Read 6737 times)

ericmartindale

HIGH-RISES allowed all over Hackensack !!!
« on: May 15, 2006, 10:41:54 PM »
Somehow during the adoption of the city's zoning ordinance in June of 2005, the allowed height for a residential structure in the Neighborhood Business (B-1) zone went from 55 feet to 150 feet. 

The following areas are currently zoned B1:

(1) Main Street from Clinton Place to Catalpa Ave
(2) WESTERN end of Passaic Street at Maywood border, vicinity of Steve's Sizzlin Steaks.
(3) Anderson business district (south side of Anderson only) and both sides of Passaic Street from First Street to Union Street
(4) Most of Essex Street
(5) 90% of Polifly Road
(6) One block of Hudson Street from Kansas Street to Broadway
(7) east side of the railroad from Lodi Street to Sussex Street, and including the Cinelli tract, and the entire east side of Hobart Street.

When I saw that a 160-foot highrise is now proposed for Linden Street at Anderson Street, I read that section of the new code and compared it to the old code. My eyeballs almost popped out of my skull.  As involved as I was, I didn't know that the definition of B1 was changed in such a profound manner.  Those who were involved were focussing on other areas of the city, and not looking at the B1 definition. 

So WHO changed it?  WHO slipped it in? We can't have monster buildings 150 feet (15-17 stories tall) popping up in B-1 zones all over Hackensack.

There is nothing in the Master Plan to justify that change. There was no discussions during the Master Plan hearings by any of the board members or governing body to justify that. There was nothing discussed by the governing body regarding the 2005 zoning ordinance to justify that change.  Did Kasler (the consultant) slip it in. Or perhaps the old council wanted to make taller buildings than 55 feet for the Transit Village project at the Essex Rail Station. If so, they should have designated that immediate area as B2.  Now because of the B1 definition change, someone can put a Prospect Ave-style building at the corner of Main and Spring Valley, or on Passaic Street near the Maywood border.  Oh, brother.

HIGH-RISE BUILDINGS ALL OVER HACKENSACK ????  Is that what this council stands for?  This is going to be VERY unpopular.  Sorry to do this, but I have no choice but to post this info on www.hackensacknow.com.

There is now an application before the Zoning Board for a high-rise on Linden Ave near Anderson. And they want variances to go even higher, and with even less setbacks on all sides.

The council needs to CLEAN-UP the Zoning ordinance ASAP. They've been talking about resolving several other "mistakes", but this is basically a CRISIS. I don't want to hear that it shouldn't be done "piecemeal".  We need protection against high-rises going up all over Hackensack, don't we?  ASAP, thank you.

Tom

Re: HIGH-RISES allowed all over Hackensack !!!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 01:12:04 PM »
I think you're overreacting.  Hi-rises are a good thing near the Anderson St. train station and near the Essex St. station.  More and more people want condo hi-rise maint. free "luxury living."

In my opinion the Anderson Street station area needs some major improvements. It looks like a slum.

Offline average Joe

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 01:44:17 PM »
eric.i thought zoning was your area.but again youve shot yourself in the foot.i checked with city hall.youve misread the zoning requirements for multi family in  the b 1.the height limit is the same as the town house zone.an r2 b.
'THE SKY IS FALLING ! THE SKY IS FALLING!"
DO YOUR HOMEWORK FOR ONCE?

ericmartindale

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 05:43:45 PM »
The code is online at www.hackensack.org. Click on City Codes, then Zoning Ordinance, then go to page 182.  It says the height limit for multi-unit dwellings is 150 feet. 

Then go to "Zoning Board", click on the April 2006 agenda, Item #15, Line #4.  You'll see the application for the high-rise at 29 Linden Street proposing a height of 160 feet instead of the 150 feet required. They clearly say "Required 150 feet, Proposed 160 feet". It's right there in black and white.  I am not imagining it.

The Zoning ordinance conflicts itself with regard to the townhouse issue that you pointed out.  I knew about that. This "conflict" is a very thin shield of protection, and if denied an applicant could appeal a case to Superior Court, and win on that grounds.

In fact, our Zoning Board is now under the gun to approve a midrise on Linden Street instead of a townhouse complex precisely because of the conflict between "townhouse" and "150 foot height for multi-unit dwellings".

Some good news, I went down to City Hall to review the plans for 29 Linden Street (an old County building).  Marcella said that city officials persuaded them to downscale the project substantially.  It is now 60 units instead of 151, and a 5 story midrise instead of 13 stories on top of a parking tower.  It's still not a townhouse, and they are still proposing to pave over the side and rear yard setback areas with parking. 

The 29 Linden Street application may or may not be heard Wednesday, May 17th at 7:30.  There are quite a few interesting cases on the docket.  40 units are proposed at 29 First Street to replace an abandoned concrete foundation from the 1980's, a private parking garage (not affliated with HUMC) is proposed for the corner of Beech and First, and a bank proposes a drive-thru in the R50 single-family residential zone on South Prospect Ave.

Offline average Joe

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 12:52:56 AM »
eric your inability to admit your errors is laughable. i had a lawyer friend double check this for me.she practices law .you dont!
get over yourself.as the expression goes"you come without potfolio"

Upset

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 02:59:36 PM »
In my opinion the Anderson Street station area needs some major improvements. It looks like a slum.

Slum isn't even the word!!!! I was on Anderson Street last week and all I saw was a mini ghetto, YUK! :o :o :o :o :o With bums/ghetto trash out there just yelling/screaming and literally walking in the middle of the street. What's that all about and what happened to Anderson Street????

anything