Author Topic: Hackensack Street Cars/Trolleys (Photos)  (Read 86943 times)

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
Re: Hackensack Street Cars/Trolleys (Photos)
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2010, 07:58:35 PM »
The problem with that is that this is a Hudson River Line trolley - an east-west line. It didn't go up and down Main St.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 10:06:14 PM by BLeafe »
Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2010, 08:26:15 PM »
I have to agree with you there but for 2 different reasons:
1. I never saw that building nor a picture of it, and
2. At the time that picture was taken Main Street was a two way street. Look behind the trolley and the car is parked diagonal to the curb. Main Street was never wide enough to support two way traffic and diagonal parking.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2010, 10:12:41 PM »
I think there is a picture of building in the site survey.  If so I'll scan it.  "National Grocery" must have had stores every place, but one in Hackensack existed at 107 Main St. or thereabouts. Very interesting.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2010, 11:11:36 PM »

The trolley picture with the train station in the background is the Susquehanna Station that existed on the NE corner of Main & Mercer Street.  The picture is looking south.  The editor has other pictures of this station in the archives, and the roofline is unmistakable. 

The trolley picture with the stores in the background is not 107 Main Street.  I remember the 3 small junky stores that were there before that office conversion occured in the late 1980's. That's not the building in that photo.  Sorry, can't identify the location of that last photo.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2010, 11:16:44 PM »

Correction, the train station photo is looking north-northeast.  And the trolley tracks run up the middle of Mercer Street. Main Street is to the left of the photo, and not in the photo. THe Susquehanna line is behind the train station.  I got the building and location right, just the direction of the photo I was initially misled.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2010, 12:57:51 AM »

The roof line changed (see dormer/peak in earlier photo) but it's the same building.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 01:10:52 AM by Editor »

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2010, 06:57:18 PM »

Yep, that's the photo in the archives I was referring to.

Looks like there was a slight change in the front part of the roof, maybe done when they changes roofing materials.  One photo shows terra cotta tiles, and one show either shingles or slates.

I remember the rear of that building still had the terra cotta until a few years ago when the Mexican Restaurant, Mi Rancho, had a fire.  So probably the terra cotta was the latter tile ????

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2010, 07:06:19 PM »
El Potrero Grill was the Restaurant. Related Post.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 07:09:32 PM by Editor »

Offline Chief Oratam

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2010, 08:27:15 PM »
Just a rememberance of mine from the 60's & 70's ...

Before and up until the Mcdonalds was built on River st...(I'm not saying it was built in the 60's)... but if you were standing in the rear parking lot behind the YMCA looking south and crossed Passaic st into the parking lot that is behind the Hackensack Fruit market and Alywards and whatever else is there and in between Mcdonalds there were trolly tracks in that parking lot that were probably pulled up or paved over in the early 70's........

They would have run south from there  between the tennis courts or right over them and the stores and theaters and house's or go go bars..whatever was there at the time......

but the point being....... I remember the trolly tracks there and i my opinion thats where the trolly yard was.........

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2010, 07:08:09 AM »

Yes, the Mexican Restaurant was called El Portrero at the time of the fire. 

Mi Rancho was an earlier name of the same restaurant, perhaps a different owner. Unsure about that. They had the best red snapper, served Mexican style with a Garlic Sauce. 

The employees used to park between the railroad and the building, in a row.  One day one guy parked 6 inches too close to the train. Ooops.  I was eating in Mi Rancho sometime around 1995 when the Susquehanna roared through, and totalled 3 automobiles against the side of the building.  The one auto parked too close was the first auto, the other two were just parked at the wrong place at the wrong time.  Following that, the railroad put up a steel cable so nobody could park back there.  The worker was fired.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2010, 10:53:25 AM »
Regarding trolley in front of "National Grocery" (previous page of this thead), below is 105 1/2 (aka 107) which I thought was shown in Bob's image. The size is about right, but the window scheme is different.  While the building may have been modified at some point, I now doubt this is the building in Bob's picture.

Bob's picture for comparison:

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2010, 05:48:57 PM »
Another thing. Look at all the trees behind and to the left of the trolley. If the building in "Bob's picture" had been the "Hackensack building", those trees would have stood along the west side of MainStreet south of Atlantic Street/ Warren Street. I am sure that your maps  show that there were buildings located in that area well before the trolley era and when black cars of the vintage of the auto shown were cruising  Main Street.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2013, 07:33:27 PM »
Road Warrior: Recalling an era when 'Big Red' was king
Sunday, August 18, 2013
By JOHN CICHOWSKI ROAD WARRIOR COLUMNIST

Those of us who routinely use trains, buses or cars to shuttle through Bergen County from Paterson to the Hudson River might find it hard to believe that there was once another horseless way to make this trip. "Trolleys were the only way to travel," said old-time New York Giants baseball fan Edd Dresher, "and they were very cheap."

At 99, the Hackensack native is one of the few who remember the old Hudson River trolley line, disbanded 75 years ago this month after four decades of service. The line took a teenaged Dresher nearly from his father’s newspaper store at Main and Mercer streets to the Edgewater ferries that carried him to 125th Street, where he got another trolley to transport him to his idols at the Polo Grounds. "The River Line cost a nickel for one zone, 15 cents to reach the ferry," recalled Dresher as he rattled off names of long-ago Giants: "Frankie Frisch, Bill Terry, Heinie Groh and Mel Ott in his prime." Why remember trolleys now? Aren’t there more significant transportation anniversaries in 2013? Yes, it has been 110 years since the Wright brothers’ flight.

This year also marks the 100th anniversary of the Henry Ford brainstorm that transformed America: a conveyor-belt assembly line that allowed cars to be built cheaply enough for millions to own. And next year, New Jersey celebrates the 60th anniversary of the completion of a major American toll road — the Garden State Parkway, an achievement that’s celebrated in a new, photo-laced book just published by Arcadia. For those who avoid toll roads, consider another Garden State highway contribution that can’t be avoided: Jersey barriers. Designed in 1946 at Stevens Institute of Technology in Hoboken, these portable, concrete, parabolic-shaped medians direct traffic and prevent crashes on tens of thousands of miles of American roadway. But in an era when cars and highways were still in their infancy, electric-powered trolleys were king — the dominant mode of transportation that sped the growth of big cities like New York, Chicago and Boston. Thank Thomas Edison for that.

The great inventor created the first electric locomotive in 1880 for a special New Jersey track in Menlo Park, now called Edison. Seven years later, his protégé Frank Sprague built the first large electric railway system in Richmond, Va. Soon, rail companies built similar systems in towns big and small, including Paterson, Hackensack, Newark and Passaic. Hackensack alone had four lines. But few of them were as efficient and modern as Big Red, the nickname given the Hudson River line for its well-upholstered, crimson-colored cars that carried passengers 18 miles from Paterson to the Edgewater ferries in less than 90 minutes.

Big Red ran from Edgewater to Palisades Amusement Park in Cliffside Park and Fort Lee, then moved on to Route 5 in Ridgefield, Broad Avenue in Leonia, then Bogota, Hackensack, Maywood, Rochelle Park, Paramus, and Broadway in Fair Lawn, Elmwood Park and Paterson. Its cars even carried bike racks, making it easy for Columbia University students to pedal to class in Morningside Heights once they reached Manhattan by ferry. But on Aug. 5, 1938, Public Service Coordinated Transport ceased running the line that helped bring Ivy League education and big league baseball to North Jerseyans. The company was now concentrating on its bus lines. The last Big Red car left the Paterson terminal on West Broadway to the accompaniment of a 30-piece band, according to press accounts.

The Bergen Evening Record’s publisher, John Borg, who attended a mock wake at the Swiss Chalet in Rochelle Park, hailed the change as "another milestone in Bergen County’s progress." His Passaic County rival, Harry Haines, publisher of the Paterson Evening News, suggested that the line’s rights-of-way be donated to municipalities "as beds for new roads." "The Hudson River line was one of the longest and best," said Cliffside Park reader Ralph Langberg, a trolley historian who dug up old newspaper articles for this column. "But from the 1930s to the 1940s, nearly all the lines were disbanded one by one." One reason, according to Langberg: "Trolley company owners were heavily invested in oil, automobiles and tires by then."

After the George Washington Bridge opened in 1931, the days of local trolleys were numbered. The automobile would be the new king. The push to the suburbs began in earnest when veterans returning from World War II were offered low-interest mortgages under a GI bill that encouraged home ownership in towns with plenty of vacant farmland. Congress began financing the Interstate Highway System in 1957, the same year that Bergen County’s first shopping malls opened on Route 4 in Paramus. But now, Hudson County has light-rail trolleys and the prospects for bringing this NJ Transit system to Bergen — at least to Englewood — appear bright.

Federal money was secured in 2007 to initiate a Big Red-type line that would send trolleys from Paterson into Bergen, although NJ Transit lacks the funds to follow through. Time changes habits and priorities, as it did for one former trolley rider in 1938. "By then I had a Plymouth," said Edd Dresher. "I could drive to the Polo Grounds." Road Warrior stops by here Wednesday, Friday and Sunday.

Email him at cichowski@northjersey.com.

Offline Hefl

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2015, 10:44:46 AM »
Regarding the very first post in this string, where in Little Ferry is there a railroad.  Was there one that formerly existed, and has since been ripped up ?

That is certainly referring to the Little Ferry Yard, in Ridgefield and Ridgefield Park and North Bergen.

anything