Author Topic: Hackensack Painting: Where is this?  (Read 8277 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Hackensack Painting: Where is this?
« on: July 30, 2006, 10:54:13 AM »
Bob Leafe found this on ebay, here. We're wondering where it is. Anyone?

The ebay ad reads:

Joey Smollon, (1927-2001). Joey is one of the rare memory painters, most of his works tell a story of his past.  Joey traveled the world, had five children, and while touring the south, his car broke down in Lakeland, Fl., and he never left. That is where we met him through fellow folk artist, Rodney Hardee.

Joey was a very interesting person. You can read about Joey in the book “Extraordinary Interpretations", a book on Florida artist. This painting is a scene in Hackensack, New Jersey, the scene is from 1962, it is downtown, a church, with Joey standing in the doorway, he was a guest speaker there that day, a used car lot next door, some decoupage in this art, a wonderful example of Joey's art, very colorful, on poster paper, on cardboard, signed, measures 22 x 28 in.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 01:05:50 AM by BLeafe »

Offline Hope Donnelly

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Hackensack Painting: Where is this?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 07:35:27 AM »
It looks like a several places rolled into one.  The building on the far left with the two chimneys is on Main Street, I believe - either the Y or across the street from the Y.  His church looks like a storefront church further in, in the area around Railroad Ave and Central perhaps.   

I'll have to go for a ride and pinpoint the locations.  I pass them all the time but can't remember exactly where they are.

Took a ride....
Nope - a building near the Y has those two chimneys, but it isn't high enough.  The "church" almost looks like the building FAITH Foundation is in, which has an Amoco station set back from State St., but there is no church behind FAITH, which would have to be on Main.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 04:18:29 PM by Hope Donnelly »

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 01:23:55 AM »
It looks like a several places rolled into one.

You could be right. The seller of the item claims that there is "some decoupage in this art". One of the definitions given in Editor's decoupage link is: "The act of cutting out paper designs and applying them to a surface to make an all over collage."
Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline Hope Donnelly

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 07:32:35 AM »
The mystery is what makes this painting even better.  It's a great piece of art!

ericmartindale

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 05:23:03 PM »
I don't believe that painting is anywhere in Hackensack, even 1962.  We didn't have ANY storefront churches until around 1990, (unless you count Rev. Ike McKinnon's church on State Street as a "storefront church".)

The density of older multi-unit buildings is also not characteristic of anyplace in Hackensack.

Looks like this is a case of yet another ARTIST bashing the image of Hackensack.  The movie "Brewster's Millions" was probably the single worst bash ever perpetuated on our community.

Offline chadshere

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 08:15:38 PM »
the artist said this was downtown, so it couldnt have been the Y.  its possible there was a storefront church dowmtown back them

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 10:17:20 PM »
Lots of artistic discretion.  Very little reality.  It could be that the memory is dead-on accurate, only that it depicts Paterson, not Hackensack.

Offline itsmetoo

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 03:53:57 PM »
I would say that this painting could possibly depict the old Strauss Building on the corner of Bergen and Main.  Near 50 Main Street.

anything