Author Topic: USS Ling to be moved  (Read 4451 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
USS Ling to be moved
« on: January 24, 2007, 10:14:05 AM »
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 11:55:10 PM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
USS Ling to be moved
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 10:23:04 AM »
From today's "Your Views" in The Record:

I read "Down periscope" (Page L-1, Jan. 24) concerning the USS Ling's removal from its longstanding berth on River Street in Hackensack.

Over the years my son and I have visited the Ling several times. It'll be a shame to see it go, especially considering the limited number of convenient venues of historic value in Bergen County.

Rather than see the Ling towed to Camden to sit ignominiously rusting next to the infrequently visited and financially troubled battleship, the USS New Jersey, I offer the following suggestions for relocation:

# Move the craft to Bogota's Olsen Park or Hackensack's Foschini Park. Both are mere stone's throws away from the current site, have sufficient room and would keep a Bergen landmark in Bergen.

# Move it to New York City for inclusion with the Intrepid Air and Space Museum. At least that way the Ling could be viewed by North Jersey residents without a 2½-plus hour drive to Camden.

# How about a sale? Maybe Donald Trump could use it as an attraction in Atlantic City. Maybe it could be an attraction at Seaside or Wildwood.

Douglas F. Job
Paramus, Jan. 25

It was with a heavy heart that I read they're planning to move the USS Ling from its berth on the Hackensack River ("Down periscope," Page L-1, Jan. 24). Such a fine boat with such roots in history is destined for who knows where.

I was once standing on line at a movie theater, and I turned around to see a sailor sprouting the dolphin on the uniform. We had instant recognition.

"Do you remember me, Mr. Cakl?" he asked.

Of course. How could I forget a Sunday school pupil some 20 years ago? It was that time we toured the Ling.

Many human links and memories are built on destinations such as the USS Ling.

Otto Cakl
Prospect Park, Jan. 24

anything