Author Topic: Bald Eagles on the Hackensack River  (Read 13182 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 12:37:06 PM by Editor »

Offline Hope Donnelly

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Bald Eagles on the Hackensack River
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 07:35:26 PM »
It was quite amazing when something caught my eye as I was walking on Main Street three weeks ago and that something turned out to be four bald eagles - two mature and two young.  Ten had been spotted in Foschini Park one afternoon.   

The day after the first spotting, driving on Route 4 east, one was circling over FDU in the sunshine.  Later that day, while driving over the reservoir near United Water in Harrington Park, I saw a young one sitting on the ice. 

A trip to The Shops at Riverside one Sunday to see what I could see was successful.  Right off the second level parking deck outside of Saks was a big adult sitting in a tree about 150 feet away, being pestered by gulls.

They've left the area for cooler climates and to start hatching chicks. 

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Bald Eagles on the Hackensack River
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 09:49:11 PM »
Latest story: Winged visitors amid the steel and concrete

Then, there are the sightings this year along what surely must be one of the most unlikely bald eagle habitats – the Hackensack River.

Michael Zahn of Hasbrouck Heights, who repairs Harley Davidson motorcycles but spends much of his free time photographing hawks and eagles, says he saw six bald eagles in the last few months along a stretch of the Hackensack River that runs from River Edge to Bogota. The landscape includes The Shops at Riverside, Route 4, the campus of Fairleigh Dickinson University, a car wash, several car dealerships, an indoor ice rink, a railroad bridge and a concrete factory.

"Breathtaking is the only way I could describe it," Zahn said.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 09:51:36 PM by Editor »

Offline Hope Donnelly

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 10:38:56 AM »
And Hooters...while watching one baldy from Saks, it swooped up towards Route 4 and then down past Hooters.   Quite an interesting scene.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Ospreys
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 09:33:19 AM »
From the Riverkeeper:

Jersey City Ospreys Fledge!

Meadowlands history is made as raptor chicks fly from their riverside nest

Jersey City, NJ – One week ago today on Friday, July 13 at 7 PM, natural history was made on the banks of the Hackensack River when the first Osprey chick to hatch in the New Jersey Meadowlands since the early 20th Century took to the air. From its nest located at Public Service Electric & Gas Company’s Hudson Generating Station, the bird flapped its wings, hopped, hovered, and then flew for about a hundred feet along the river before perching on a utility pole.

“It was glorious!” said Captain Hugh Carola, who was at the helm of the Riverkeeper vessel Robert H. Boyle when the bird took off. “I figured I’d give our guests a treat and show them the Ospreys but little did I know just how much of a treat it would be.”

As best as anyone can tell, it was the first time in at least fifty years – and possibly as long as seventy-five – since Ospreys last fledged in the Meadowlands. Habitat loss, water pollution, DDT use after World War Two and the unrestrained killing of raptors during late 19th and early 20th Century led to their extirpation from urban watersheds like the Hackensack.

Ospreys are large raptors that feed exclusively on live fish. Although closely related to hawks and eagles, they are unique among raptors in that they dive completely underwater to catch their prey. They are found on every continent except Antarctica with approximately 350 pairs nesting in New Jersey.

“If anyone still needs proof that the Hackensack River is well on its way to recovery, all they need to do is look at these magnificent birds living and breeding right here,” said Hackensack Riverkeeper Captain Bill Sheehan. “Ten years ago I predicted that Ospreys would return to our river and now here they are.”

At that same time, Sheehan successfully lobbied PSE&G to install a series of nest platforms on several of its properties along the lower Hackensack River. 

This year marked the third (and first successful) attempt by Ospreys to nest at the Jersey City location. Two years ago, the birds abandoned the nest before any eggs were laid and last year a pair of young hatched but fell victim to predation by gulls. After discussions between Carola, Sheehan and PSE&G executives Richard Dwyer and Russ Furnari, the company took extra care to minimize disturbances to the birds. In addition, Ken Jennings, Assistant Division Chief for Hudson County Parks reached out to local anglers, urging them to maintain a good distance from the nest which is adjacent to a well-known fishing hotspot.

“Many folks might look askance at the birds’ choice to nest next to a coal-fired power plant but it’s not what’s on land that matters to them but what’s in the river,” said Carola. “And what’s in the river are plenty of fish – for them and for people.”

It is expected that the Osprey family will remain in the vicinity for about a month until the parents abandon the young to begin their southward migration. For their part, the young have a difficult road ahead of them as ornithologists estimate that upwards of fifty percent of all raptors hatched in any given year do not survive. If the Jersey City birds do survive the critical next critical few weeks and learn to fish, they will stand a good chance of returning to the Hackensack River one day to raise young of their own.

“I think they’ll make it,” said Captain Sheehan. “After all, they’re from Hudson County; and that makes them tough.”

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 09:19:53 AM »
Related story:  Eagles and hawks are migrating south, and we get to enjoy the spectacle

Because the hawk watches are on high ground, they are the best places to see raptors, Greenstone says. But the migration in New Jersey is fairly widespread.

"I can recall being in downtown Hackensack one day and seeing a flight go right over the town," he says.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 09:15:39 AM »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 09:46:40 AM »
Bald Eagle Patrols Hackensack River

Updated: Thursday, 18 Feb 2010, 4:44 PM EST
Published : Thursday, 18 Feb 2010, 4:43 PM EST

MYFOX NEW YORK STAFF REPORT

MYFOXNY.COM - SkyFoxHD was over the Hackensack River in River Edge, Bergen County, N.J., when reporter and camera operator Kai Simonsen spotted a gorgeous bald eagle soaring through the sky. It then perched on a tree branch overlooking the river.

Bald eagles feed mainly on fish, but water fowl and small mammals supplement their diet, according to the American Bald Eagle Foundation.

The bald eagle, the United States' national bird, has a wingspan of about 7 feet, according to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. The eagles, while still relatively rare, have made a comeback in recent years around the country.

They can be found throughout New Jersey and New York, especially along waterways. Bald eagles have been spotted along the Delaware, Hudson, and Hackensack Rivers, experts say.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 11:39:58 PM by Editor »

Offline njurbanforest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 07:04:19 PM »
I saw a bald eagle recently by Oscar Olsen Park in Bogota.

;D

anything