Author Topic: Northern Main, House of Pizza, Poitin Still, Deli Mart, Etc.  (Read 42167 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Northern Main, House of Pizza, Poitin Still, Deli Mart, Etc.
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2007, 02:53:22 PM »
Responding to Anthony's last post on page 1 of this topic:

You'll agree that the administration has an obligation to operate within the bounds of the law.  When the law is clear, any decision contrary to the law is arbitrary.  I think it is inappropriate for a governing body to circumvent the law in order to "make a strong statement".  Taking an unsupportable position also subjects the small business owners (and the public) to unnecessary legal expenses. It would have been wrong for them to do that.

I'm not thrilled with the location either, but I doubt there will be any noticeable impact on the neighborhood or the students who patronize the store. When you take into consideration all the battles that need to be fought in this city and the finite amount of time and money, you learn to choose your battles.  You don't choose battles you're doomed to lose.

By the way, it looks like Deli-Mart is getting a facelift.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 03:53:49 PM by Editor »

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2007, 07:35:50 PM »
I just wanted to thank the editor for his diligent research into the matter regarding the Patel vs. North Brunswick case law, and for admitting that his original position was incorrect. Not too many people in a public position like to admit that they are wrong, and it shows some character on his part. In fact, all of us who chimed in on the matter were incorrect to one degree or another.  My initial statement was not fully correct either.  But this type of online dialog is what community websites are all about. It's a step by step process the real truth finally comes out.

But at least we got to the bottom of it:  The City of Hackensack gave the initial THUMBS UP to the transfer of the liquor license from one store in the neighborhood to another store in the same neighborhood.   For whatever reason there was little or no input from the neighborhood, and nobody should simply expect people to read the fine print legal notices every week for years and years on the happens-chance that they might find something.  The city could have proactively reached out to community leaders and the Fairmount PTA and consulted their opinions on this issue before making a decision, but I have seen no evidence that this happened.

They may have reasoned that there was no real change to the status quo because liquor was already being sold only one block further north. Personally, I would have rather seen the liquor license transferred completely out of the neighborhood.

Offline Hope Donnelly

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2007, 11:01:46 PM »
Why did it close?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 02:34:53 PM by Editor »

Offline Skipx219

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2007, 02:38:17 PM »
 Landlord and other issues.

It looks like Dante's Pizza of Ridgefield Park is taking over the space.
Cardboard in the windows, Dumpster in the rear and some renovation taking place - I'm not seeing a Permit in the window.

I'm hoping the Landlord will do some exterior work but I doubt it.

By the way... How about the color of the old Waterloo Sue's???
It rivals Dom Pomadoro's

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 06:43:06 PM »
You are joking, I hope. 

We don't need another pitiful eyesore

Offline Skipx219

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 02:24:13 PM »
It appears that Dante's will open under the name of Frankie's Pizza at the
old House of Pizza site. Big sign in the window.

Also " The Deli Imporium " took down a hugh tree abd there is a dumpster out front - Reno work?? I guess they gave up on the Condo idea.

Offline ramftbl

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2007, 11:45:07 AM »
The House of Pizza has closed ? I'm now living in Connecticut, but I always liked stopping in for a slice or 2 whenever I came back to visit. The big guy at the counter was always friendly, and they always seemed very busy ( 4-5  driveres delivering food at night). Does anyone know about the Dante's food that will be replacing them ? Also, I heard that the liquor store next to it also closed. it was also very busy during the 90's with alcohol/cigs/lottery. Is it the neighborhood that is forcing them out ( change in demographics) ?
Someone please enlighten me !!

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2007, 09:14:19 AM »
Yeah, I'll miss it too.  Mike Dembo and the gang were great.  Mike, if you read this- Thanks for the food and the memories. 

It looks like there's some "gentrification" going on in the north section. 

Offline ramftbl

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2008, 12:14:35 PM »
Has there been any signs of life at the new "Frankie's Pizza (formerly House of Pizza) yet ? Also, what ever happened to The Riveria
Pizzeria on main Street ? Still in business, as well as the Go-Go next store ?

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2008, 12:36:09 PM »
Everything about what ramftbl is asking about is posted in "CONVENIENCE STORES CONVERTING INTO LIQUOR STORES", which is currently on page 2 of this website because nobody has posted a comment there in a while. 

Mr. Editor, can these columns be merged, because they are talking about the same neighborhood ???

Yes, there has been significant resurgence in the quality of retail and businesses along Main Street in what is considered the Fairmount Section of Hackensack.  Some would call that gentrification, but I would prefer to reserve use of that term only to describe the improvement of a neighborhood that contained abandoned properties, or was really down and out. The Fairmount Section was never downtrodden or inner city.  (For instance, if the two approved luxury condo projects are ever built at State & Warren Streets, that would constitute gentrification.  Other examples of gentrification would be the luxury condos under construction on Linden Street near Anderson, the new bank at Essex and East Railroad Ave, and the townhouses replacing the old Alan Party Rental). 

Offline Skipx219

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2008, 02:38:42 PM »
 House of Pizza now Frankie's - "Rumor" is that with the Holidays, getting inspections
when the new owners are there is difficult. The new owners show up in a Dante's Pizza vehicle show up each day for a short period of time - get something done and leave.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2008, 10:44:28 AM »
Today's Record: Starters: Poitin Still in Hackensack

FYI: I took Justwatching's suggestion and merged the topics into this one.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 10:49:52 AM by Editor »

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2008, 03:30:56 PM »
I hope no one has the audacity to refer to the Poitin Still as the "Poison Still".

Ooops - too late!  :laugh:
Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2008, 10:27:40 AM »
We ate there last week. We had the prime rib, medium rare, with potato and vegetable. I thought it was especially good.  I liked the fish too.

This is a great fit for the area.  I'm glad they made the investment and I hope it pays off.

By the way, they valet park using Deli Mart's parking lot.  Smart solution. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 12:08:30 PM by Editor »

Offline ramftbl

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2008, 10:44:04 AM »
Has Frankie's opened yet and has anyone eaten there yet ?