Author Topic: Summit & Hamilton Construction  (Read 5359 times)

Offline ericmartindale

• View Profile
Summit & Hamilton Construction
« on: March 01, 2018, 12:02:15 PM »
There is new construction on Summit Ave near Hamilton Place.  Attempting to download a photo, it's not easy.

Offline ericmartindale

• View Profile
Re: Summit & Hamilton Construction
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 12:11:37 PM »
Another very similar house is under construction around the corner on Hamilton Place.  The estate at the SW corner of Summit & Hamilton was subdivided. That large estate, along with the adjacent house on the corner of Passaic Street, had been held for DECADES by investors hoping for zoning changes to build something more. 

Now that threat is completely eliminated by the subdivision of the larger estate.

In 2005, I wrote new zoning code for Summit Ave and vicinity.  The R1 zone definition (75 x 100, 7500 square feet) was eliminated, and replaced with R100, R75, and R60.  This site is in R75, which still means 75 x 100, but with 10,000 square feet lot size.  The new house around the corner went from R1A (50 x 100, 5000 square feet) to R75 as well.  Most of the remaining R1A zone was renamed R50, and it means the same thing.

Offline ericmartindale

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 12:16:35 PM »
I also proposed an R40 zone to replace R2, but I couldn't get it passed.  It would have continued to allow 2-family houses on a 50 x 100 lot, but only side-by-side duplex houses. It would not allow new construction or conversions from 1 to 2-family with one unit on the first floor and one on the second floor. The intent was to increase owner-occupany, and there was a clause that the 2-family units must be separately-deeded. R40 would have also allowed a single-family house on a 40 x 100 lot.  And for both single-family and two-family, it would have allowed slightly more lot coverage, which is needed for quality construction. Otherwise, rooms would be a lot smaller, and the houses would sell for so much less that it would not be economical to build. And that is the status quo.

The result of R40 not passing is that NOT MUCH one and two-family construction has occured in the R2 zone, which is large areas of the First Ward, plus the Carver Park area. Builders could go for variances, but that's always a gamble.

I believe the R40 proposal is still relevant, and it could still be passed.  I still have all my files on that.

Offline ericmartindale

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 05:56:22 AM »
nearby house on Hamilton Place, same estate division